cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rasor OHV trip.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone, it’s been awhile. We finally moved out of our toy hauler and into our new home. It’s only been 3 months out of the trailer but we decided to join our friends for a ride in the desert. This time we made our way out to Rasor OHV area which is located off HWY 15 between Barstow CA and Las Vegas Nevada.

We set up camp a couple miles off the Hwy.

Our first ride was out through Afton Canyon. This Canyon is beautiful with different types of structure, Layers and color.

After going through aftoncanyon we came up on a River crossing that was just too deep for our side by sides to cross. We saw two jeeps with 35” tires and they were fully submerged. We headed back this time looking for a slot canyon that MPoulsen knew about.

We found the canyon 🙂

The canyon has rope that someone tied off - you can actually climb out of the canyon to the top. We only made it up two flights of rope 🙂

After a little bit more riding around we ended the day and headed back to camp for a Fajitas cook out

Day 2

The plan was to search for this giant megaphone that’s mounted on top of a rock pile. We pack our lunch and head out into the desert for more adventures.

My daughter took the wheel while I enjoyed passenger seat.

Finding the megaphone wasn’t to bad. It sits atop of a rock pile which is a short hike up
There’s lots of theories online about this but no one really knows the real reasoning behind it. One theory is a guy used to use as a drum, this may be true because there was a skin wrapped around it.

From the megaphone our plan was to try and make run out to Kelso Depot which is a visitor center in the middle of the Mojave National preserve. The OHV route we took ended and became street legal Accessible only -so we decided to head back to camp.

It was a great trip with great friends and the weather was perfect. We can’t wait to come back to this area to explore some more.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker
14 REPLIES 14

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Ricky.

I've ridden through there on the LA B 2 V dual sport a few years ago and was at several meetings with BLM when they were considering solar farm nearby, never actually gone there though. The vast Mojave Preserve is thanks to former Senator Alan Cranston and then Diane Feinstein perpetuated it when she took office as a "legacy" to Cranston.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
how large an "open" area is Razor? I know it connects to a lot of trails that are in limited use and then there's the Mojave Preserve where there are only a few cherry stem trails.

You’re right about Mojave Preserve, we were trying to make a run to Kelso Depot and ended up tiring around because of the Mojave Preserve. If you have the Avenza Map app you can Download the OHV trials from CTUC.
Here’s a screen shot of the map and general areas to ride in the Rasor OHV area

If you head back towards Barstow through Afton Canyon the OHV trials open up big time.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
how large an "open" area is Razor? I know it connects to a lot of trails that are in limited use and then there's the Mojave Preserve where there are only a few cherry stem trails.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

mpoulsen
Explorer
Explorer
We had a great time with you and the family, nice to go to different area and explore. Next trip ??????

dedmiston
SMarquez wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
Great pics. Looks like an amazing trip.

Did you see many cops on Saturday night / Sunday morning?

A group of friends (used to be members here years ago) were camping out on Rasor and their group had gotten kind of bigger than they expected. Some friends of friends ended up getting out of hand and one of them pulled a gun and fired a bunch of shots when people complained about his loud music. I'm not too clear on the details, but he ended up threatening a teenage kid and someone else in the group shot and killed him.

I've never seen anything like this in any of our camps. Terrifying.

Holy **** that is frightening and I am a CCW guy. I get a little concerned with large groups and the old friend of a friend thing starts happening. Do you know how the shooter came out of this?

Hi Steve. I don't know that anyone will ever hear any updates since none of the people involved were really directly connected with the group.

I've searched for news reports etc., but haven't found anything.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

SMarquez
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:

A group of friends (used to be members here years ago) were camping out on Rasor and their group had gotten kind of bigger than they expected. Some friends of friends ended up getting out of hand and one of them pulled a gun and fired a bunch of shots when people complained about his loud music. I'm not too clear on the details, but he ended up threatening a teenage kid and someone else in the group shot and killed him.

Holy **** that is frightening and I am a CCW guy. I get a little concerned with large groups and the old friend of a friend thing starts happening. Do you know how the shooter came out of this?

dedmiston
eDUBz wrote:
Oh dang, that’s just crazy! We didn’t camp near anyone, didn’t hear anything, thankfully.

Glad to hear it.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:

Oh dang, that’s just crazy! We didn’t camp near anyone, didn’t hear anything, thankfully.

dedmiston

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Y-Guy
Thanks again for sharing!

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Great photo's of your trip I love that area.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Camreal
Explorer
Explorer
At new years we visited the Glamis area and had a great time and had super fun with family and their RZRs.. Didnt know there were so many people out having fun in the desert.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a great trip. I’ve just purchased a RZR myself; getting back into riding after a few years pursuing other interests.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks like a good day off road, reminds me of my ATV days.