cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electricity from thin air -- apparently not a hoax??

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Protein nano-wires that generate juice -- now imagine your awning covered with these little devices:

Article

But don't hold your breath waiting for this to be commercially available.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
16 REPLIES 16

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I don't doubt anything in technology anymore..... look how far we've come since even 1950.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Protein nano-wires that generate juice -- now imagine your awning covered with these little devices:

Article

But don't hold your breath waiting for this to be commercially available.

From the article:

The researchers say that the current generation of Air-gen devices are able to power small electronics, and they expect to bring the invention to commercial scale soon. Next steps they plan include developing a small Air-gen "patch" that can power electronic wearables such as health and fitness monitors and smart watches, which would eliminate the requirement for traditional batteries. They also hope to develop Air-gens to apply to cell phones to eliminate periodic charging.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its a dead-serious possibility.
Read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haber_process
For a more fun and educational read try "The Alchemy of Air" - how the discovery that nitrogen could be produced from air led to WWII and enable modern day food production - it's an eye-opener.

Nitrogen fixation machines can now be purchased on Amazon for less than $2,000.

Don't discount the OP's article.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
I recently went south to Abilene. I saw thousands of windmills. I remember when the windmills were considered a joke here.

Until the coal power plant ran out of well water.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Remember what they say.
If you can think it, you can build it.
Give it time.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, maybe it's a hoax -- but remember you heard it here first!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
p220sigman wrote:
While I'm a believer that it is possible, I noticed the lack of description of how much energy is produced per given amount of nanowire and how much current is actually there? It is going to have to be pretty significant to scale up for energy replacement, not to mention just how fragile is a nanowire that is less than 10 microns thick. I would think just looking at it too hard would break them. Still, it will be a game changer if they can scale it up even for just small electronics.

It's more of a working concept and not an actual working model. They did compare it to an AirGen at about 1/3 the AirGen capacity. So using laboratory operating AirGens as an example, it would take this newer technology about 2 acres of surface area to product 1 amp at 12 volts.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
philh wrote:
I read about this perpetual motion machine that ran on the earths natural frequency vibration, but the oil companies bought the patent and buried it.

Really, it's true, I read it on the internet.

Was it similar to the article from the 1960's about the super secret carburetor that got 100 MPG and somehow ended up on a customers car?
GMC sent a Ninja SWAT team to recover the carburetor. I remember reading about that before the internet. It must be true.

I remember that. I was just a kid. It was in P M Magazine. Only had 3 moving parts.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
While I'm a believer that it is possible, I noticed the lack of description of how much energy is produced per given amount of nanowire and how much current is actually there? It is going to have to be pretty significant to scale up for energy replacement, not to mention just how fragile is a nanowire that is less than 10 microns thick. I would think just looking at it too hard would break them. Still, it will be a game changer if they can scale it up even for just small electronics.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Trump ads on a science page? That's a first.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have a bridge to sell you.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
I read about this perpetual motion machine that ran on the earths natural frequency vibration, but the oil companies bought the patent and buried it.

Was it similar to the article from the 1960's about the super secret carburetor that got 100 MPG and somehow ended up on a customers car?
GMC sent a Ninja SWAT team to recover the carburetor. I remember reading about that before the internet. It must be true.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II