Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

E450 Insulated RV Windshield Cover

ThruTraffic
Explorer
Explorer
Do they exist?

I can find the windshield covers easily enough but I'm curious if anyone has seen an insulated version. I'd like to have one to use in the winter that would be more heat conservation efficient.

2011 Phoenix Cruiser 2551 E450
12 REPLIES 12

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Insulating the windshield on a Class C is sort of like saying all those people on the Titanic could have started bailing out the boat. Itโ€™s too little too late.

There is basically zero insulation in the entire cab, floor, doors, firewall. The heat loss from the windshield is probably minimal in the long run.

AndrewCoates
Explorer
Explorer
Complete privacy comes in Class C motorhome windshield sun shades, specifically the Mofeez 98MF18019. It efficiently covers the vehicleโ€™s interiors, shielding objects from prying eyes.

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I went to Lowe's and got one of those moving blankets (heavy duty and like a quilt) and tuck it under the overhead bed mattress and completely seals off the cab area since it goes down to the floor and I just press it around both side frames for the bed above. If I need to see, I just peek out one side. Really keeps the chills down.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
It looks nice but I think it would be a safer option to use inside the rv.
I would only use something like that inside and not outside for safety reasons.
I camp off grid with no other help other than me. I need to be able to see what's out in front of me without having to go outside.
You need to be aware of what's around you and being able to see out is Safety 101. People with bad intentions look for people napping while they are awake.

I agree with bobndot, having the ability to monitor your surroundings should be a prerequisite! A small โ€œpeep holeโ€ in our โ€œlittle wallโ€ can offer you the option of โ€œseeing without being seenโ€! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, insulating the windshield will do very little to help with heating, as the cab area of the unit has little to no insulation. We do some below zero camping in our class c, and feel that an insulation barrier/wall offers more benefits in the cool weather. We use a wall made (homemade) of โ€œbubble foilโ€ insulation. Yes, itโ€™s a bit of a pain to put up/take down.....but, seems to do a good job of keeping the cold in the cab area of the unit! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
It looks nice but I think it would be a safer option to use inside the rv.
I would only use something like that inside and not outside for safety reasons.
I camp off grid with no other help other than me. I need to be able to see what's out in front of me without having to go outside.
You need to be aware of what's around you and being able to see out is Safety 101. People with bad intentions look for people napping while they are awake.

Kamphiker
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone used the ELUTO RV Windshield cover ?
Looks to have more insulation properties than the ADCO vinyl (Which I have used for many years).

My ADCO's last about 2-1/2 years before the sun destroys them, This ELUTO one only has 1 year warranty. I don't think I would use it for storage only for Camping setup.

ELUTO RV Windshield cover
2006 Winnebago Outlook WF324V
2009 Honda CR-V 2wd TOAD ......Campgrounds in the Smoky Mountains NP
Last Camping trip ->2011 SUMMER SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
Like ron.dittmer I drape a blanket that is large enough & long enough to hang down behind the seats to seal off the cab from the house. I use entertainment doors to hold the blanket in position over the cab hole. I do have to have an opening of sorts at the bottom of the isle for the dog to go into cab for her entertainment at night or morning.

So far, with the slide in & 28F with wind outside at night. Two electric heaters set to 800W each and the furnace set lower than room temp as a backup has worked fine. One heater in the bedroom facing out and one by the kitchen sink, mid living space, facing towards the cab. The dog & I survived very well. The furnace ran several times just before I got up.

If I were to do the above on a regular basis I would have covering for the cab windows.

I should mention all of the fresh water pipes are inside of the rig and heated by the furnace. The holding tanks are not, yet.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

hoosiermark
Explorer
Explorer
Go to the website: Downbytheriver. TheY make thinsulate windshield covers. I am looking at some for my class bl

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its very simple and inexpensive to make a cover that will work.
You can see in this below link how an insulated material (like a moving blanket glued to a foam board) where it's was held in place by webbing straps that can be Velcro'd in place by using short screw in Velcro tabs.
You have a few options as to what material to use. I would cut a 1" solid foam board in 2 pieces (driver/passenger) and stick some REFLECTIX onto the boards.
I actually did it in my previous rv by cutting the foam insulation very tight to make it fit snug holding it place by its own pressure.
I made covers for all my windows, by the time I was finished a candle could heat the interior. :B
I stored them under the mattress where they wouldn't get damaged.

scroll down about 1/4 way to view a larger interior pic.

Faroutride.com

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
For cold camping conditions, we do the following with our E350 cab area. I can't say to what rating it's good for, but it works for our particular rig to a low of around 28 degrees F.

- set the climate control in the dash to "recirculate"
- cover windshield and door glass with pop-open sunshades, but custom-fit insulated shades would be much better
- drape and tuck a comforter over and around the two front seats, creating a sealed and insulated barrier to trap the cold air in the cab
- when 110v is available, we place a small cube heater on the floor near the cab and blow the warm air rearward towards the house interior.
- not related to the cab, but we also draw the shades in the house

Our interior is small, has no slide-outs, has a lower ceiling, has thermal pane insulated glass, and a well sealed entry door. General air leakage and radiated cold is less with the quality build of our rig which further helps with interior comfort. With everything considered, the main house furnace operates much more efficiently. At bedtime we close the bedroom curtain to trap bedroom heat. The thermostat inside the enclosed area then works off that trapped heat with us inside it, further reduces furnace cycling which reduces our concern for battery and propane usage.

CLICK HERE to see our rig's interior and curtain. The curtain is thin but helps a lot.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
I've never one one. What I would do is cut reflex insulation to fit under the custom windshield, side window cover. I'm not sure how much extra insulation that it would provide.
I use the reflex, inside as the usual camping covers for privacy, easily removed for visibility during the day.
We used them once in minus 20s temp, but the condensation on the windshield was bad, the reflex was on the inside, we have since learned how to deal with the condensation issue.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.