cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Registration Rant

anutami
Explorer II
Explorer II
$381 + $50 smog on a 2001 F350 SRW to register this year :M oh but I don’t have to pay to register my TC, it’s like going to Oregon and paying $150 for an oil change and but not having to pay sales tax!

The time is coming soon when I am so outta California.

What are you guys seeing for registration in other states for a Similar vehicle?
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads
59 REPLIES 59

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
lakeside013104 wrote:
finsruskw wrote:

Oh, and Iowa charges sales tax on a vehicle EVERY TIME it changes hands!!

Same process here in Maine. 5.5% sales tax on EVERY vehicle purchase / sale accept no tax on the trade-in vehicle at a dealership.

TC is also cargo on the registered pickup.

Lakeside

10% here, called Use Tax. Unless you know how to work your way around it.....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Westchester Co. N.Y., 13' F350 13,500 GVW. Pass. Vehicle, I pay $194.50 veh.reg.,veh.use tx.$30, $25 MCTD, ( Commuter Train tax), smog $35. $284.5 per yr. I'm reg.pass., commercial would be 25-50% more. T.C. $00.00 considered cargo 🙂

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
finsruskw wrote:

Same process here in Maine. 5.5% sales tax on EVERY vehicle purchase / sale accept no tax on the trade-in vehicle at a dealership.

TC is also cargo on the registered pickup.

Lakeside

finsruskw
Explorer
Explorer
$550 here in Iowa and I'm good for 20K GCW on my 2015 Ram dually.

No fees on the Lance 1181, It's considered cargo.

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Eric&Lisa wrote:

I had to remind him that is 10+ miles to the nearest store, and the nearest metro area similar to where he lives is well over an hour away. So we all make the sacrifices and choices to get what we want most.

-Eric

Fine by me. I've lived in the boonies before. As I get older, I want it badly again. Unfortunately, because of my work, I'm required to live in the city.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
joeshmoe wrote:
...To drive ANYWHERE outside of the greater OC/LA area during the day will take you at least 2-3 hrs. or longer....

HA! True story... Had a good friend visit us overnight who brought along his adult son (20's something). The son rents and lives in what is practically a closet on Venice Beach. The next morning I am making breakfast and notice the son sitting out in the yard, at the top of the hill.

So I get busy applying all the stereotypes I can think of... California beach bum, coming down off a buzz, or getting started on the next one, etc. Finally I go out and check on him and ask what he is up to. His answer...

"I have to drive three hours and then hike two hours for peace & quiet like this."

I had to remind him that is 10+ miles to the nearest store, and the nearest metro area similar to where he lives is well over an hour away. So we all make the sacrifices and choices to get what we want most.

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Georgia the first time it was $20.00 now my truck bike and drivers license are free. the only catch you have to be a veteran. Farm bureau rates my 3500 GM C a farm truck it has to be a 1 ton then theynclassify it as a commercial farm vehicle insurance is$180.00 every six months
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
lakeside013104 wrote:
I cannot believe you removed my post. It said nothing political. It only stated one of the reasons why our registration fees go up and it was directly related to OP topic.

Why do I bother to try and add my RVing experiences to this post and take the time to makeup and type an informative and intelligent post just to have it removed.

Moderator, your decision to pull my post was in it's self political bias just because you did not agree with what I posted. Shame on you.

Lakeside

I did not delete your post. I have been camping the last eight days and just now am catching up on posts while having a million dollar view on the coast. However, you know the forum rules and the other moderator or admin may have enforced them.

Glad you were able to go camping.
Not sure what happened to my post, but it disappeared after I viewed it on this message board.
I understand the rules and always attempt to abide by them.
Thanks for getting back to me.

Lakeside

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
covered wagon wrote:
To me the whole thing about this subject is there are entities that think they can charge beyond a reasonable amount taking advantage of those paying. On the other hand, most people do understand business and it's usual level of fairness....that fees or expenses are normally based on actual costs plus a reasonable amount of profit.

Fees in Oregon have doubled every ten years which used to be $20 for 2 yrs back in the late 70's. If you made the same $20 an hour back then you were doing well, not getting rich but well. Now if you made the same 185 dollars that registration costs today, you would be able to save well over two thirds of your income. I say this for another way to look at it.

Based on this discussion, what do some of you think is a most reasonable amount for truck registration?

That's a nice theory but vehicle registration is a government tax/fee structure not actual cost plus reasonable profit. What's the sales tax in your state? Are your reg fees too high now, considering that?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bedlam
About $200/year for my 18k GVWR registered 5500 and something under $70/year for my passenger cars, motorcycles and trailers. We pay sales tax on each vehicle transaction whether new, old, private or buisness.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Bedlam
lakeside013104 wrote:
I cannot believe you removed my post. It said nothing political. It only stated one of the reasons why our registration fees go up and it was directly related to OP topic.

Why do I bother to try and add my RVing experiences to this post and take the time to makeup and type an informative and intelligent post just to have it removed.

Moderator, your decision to pull my post was in it's self political bias just because you did not agree with what I posted. Shame on you.

Lakeside

I did not delete your post. I have been camping the last eight days and just now am catching up on posts while having a million dollar view on the coast. However, you know the forum rules and the other moderator or admin may have enforced them.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
skyhammer wrote:
I moved to Oregon from California a little over 2 years ago.It is like I moved to a different country.
It seemed to me as though most things in Oregon were nearly free when compared to California.
Real estate is cheap. My 4000 sq.ft house built in 2014 was $450,000. It has 4 bedrooms, 4 bath rooms, hardwood and tile floors, granite counter tops etc.Insurance on the house is 400% cheaper than I was paying in California for a 1200 sq.ft, 100 year old farm house.
Vehicle fees and insurance are 3-400% cheaper.
Electricity is 10 cents KW, 300% cheaper.
Gas is 75 cents/gallon cheaper.
It took about 15 minutes to get my CCW. $55 for 4 years and no restrictions on how many or the type of pistol I want to carry.
In California, my CCW is only good for 2 years and it cost a little under $1000.
You have to start the renewal process 9 months before it expires and bring in the 3 pistols you are allowed to be inspected.I can't carry the pistols I when I first got my CCW as they are now outlawed.
In Oregon, I can buy a gun and walk out the store with it is 15 minutes or less.
I was also able to buy all the suppressors I want, if I can afford the federal tax.
Income tax is about the same as in California.
No sales tax is a game changer, especially on large purchases,saving $4-10,000
on a new car.
No smog tests, although is rural Northern and Eastern Calif. there are no smog tests in 18 counties.
The weather in mid coastal Oregon is about the same as in Northern Calif. where I come from. It rains more days in Oregon, but the volume is much less.

Darn you Skyhammer, when you lay it all out like that it makes me want to get the heck out of California. LOL
I thought Oregon was turning very liberal as well?
I agree getting a CCW here is a joke. I’m sure you’re aware now we have to get a permit and pay a fee to buy “Ammo”. And in LA County you have to leave a finger print.
So much for freedom and the second amendment.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
To me the whole thing about this subject is there are entities that think they can charge beyond a reasonable amount taking advantage of those paying. On the other hand, most people do understand business and it's usual level of fairness....that fees or expenses are normally based on actual costs plus a reasonable amount of profit.

Fees in Oregon have doubled every ten years which used to be $20 for 2 yrs back in the late 70's. If you made the same $20 an hour back then you were doing well, not getting rich but well. Now if you made the same 185 dollars that registration costs today, you would be able to save well over two thirds of your income. I say this for another way to look at it.

Based on this discussion, what do some of you think is a most reasonable amount for truck registration?

skyhammer
Explorer
Explorer
I moved to Oregon from California a little over 2 years ago.It is like I moved to a different country.
It seemed to me as though most things in Oregon were nearly free when compared to California.
Real estate is cheap. My 4000 sq.ft house built in 2014 was $450,000. It has 4 bedrooms, 4 bath rooms, hardwood and tile floors, granite counter tops etc.Insurance on the house is 400% cheaper than I was paying in California for a 1200 sq.ft, 100 year old farm house.
Vehicle fees and insurance are 3-400% cheaper.
Electricity is 10 cents KW, 300% cheaper.
Gas is 75 cents/gallon cheaper.
It took about 15 minutes to get my CCW. $55 for 4 years and no restrictions on how many or the type of pistol I want to carry.
In California, my CCW is only good for 2 years and it cost a little under $1000.
You have to start the renewal process 9 months before it expires and bring in the 3 pistols you are allowed to be inspected.I can't carry the pistols I when I first got my CCW as they are now outlawed.
In Oregon, I can buy a gun and walk out the store with it is 15 minutes or less.
I was also able to buy all the suppressors I want, if I can afford the federal tax.
Income tax is about the same as in California.
No sales tax is a game changer, especially on large purchases,saving $4-10,000
on a new car.
No smog tests, although is rural Northern and Eastern Calif. there are no smog tests in 18 counties.
The weather in mid coastal Oregon is about the same as in Northern Calif. where I come from. It rains more days in Oregon, but the volume is much less.
2011 Host Everest, 11.5',triple slide.
2011 F-350,DRW,CC,LWB,4X4,6.7