Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Registration Rant
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Registration Rant

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/20 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About $200/year for my 18k GVWR registered 5500 and something under $70/year for my passenger cars, motorcycles and trailers. We pay sales tax on each vehicle transaction whether new, old, private or buisness.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/20 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

covered wagon wrote:

To me the whole thing about this subject is there are entities that think they can charge beyond a reasonable amount taking advantage of those paying. On the other hand, most people do understand business and it's usual level of fairness....that fees or expenses are normally based on actual costs plus a reasonable amount of profit.

Fees in Oregon have doubled every ten years which used to be $20 for 2 yrs back in the late 70's. If you made the same $20 an hour back then you were doing well, not getting rich but well. Now if you made the same 185 dollars that registration costs today, you would be able to save well over two thirds of your income. I say this for another way to look at it.

Based on this discussion, what do some of you think is a most reasonable amount for truck registration?

That's a nice theory but vehicle registration is a government tax/fee structure not actual cost plus reasonable profit. What's the sales tax in your state? Are your reg fees too high now, considering that?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/20 03:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

lakeside013104 wrote:

I cannot believe you removed my post. It said nothing political. It only stated one of the reasons why our registration fees go up and it was directly related to OP topic.

Why do I bother to try and add my RVing experiences to this post and take the time to makeup and type an informative and intelligent post just to have it removed.

Moderator, your decision to pull my post was in it's self political bias just because you did not agree with what I posted. Shame on you.

Lakeside

I did not delete your post. I have been camping the last eight days and just now am catching up on posts while having a million dollar view on the coast. However, you know the forum rules and the other moderator or admin may have enforced them.

Glad you were able to go camping.
Not sure what happened to my post, but it disappeared after I viewed it on this message board.
I understand the rules and always attempt to abide by them.
Thanks for getting back to me.

Lakeside

devildog1971

Rome

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/20 10:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in Georgia the first time it was $20.00 now my truck bike and drivers license are free. the only catch you have to be a veteran. Farm bureau rates my 3500 GM C a farm truck it has to be a 1 ton then theynclassify it as a commercial farm vehicle insurance is$180.00 every six months

2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/20 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joeshmoe wrote:

...To drive ANYWHERE outside of the greater OC/LA area during the day will take you at least 2-3 hrs. or longer....

HA! True story... Had a good friend visit us overnight who brought along his adult son (20's something). The son rents and lives in what is practically a closet on Venice Beach. The next morning I am making breakfast and notice the son sitting out in the yard, at the top of the hill.

So I get busy applying all the stereotypes I can think of... California beach bum, coming down off a buzz, or getting started on the next one, etc. Finally I go out and check on him and ask what he is up to. His answer...

"I have to drive three hours and then hike two hours for peace & quiet like this."

I had to remind him that is 10+ miles to the nearest store, and the nearest metro area similar to where he lives is well over an hour away. So we all make the sacrifices and choices to get what we want most.

-Eric

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

joeshmoe

So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/20 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eric&Lisa wrote:

I had to remind him that is 10+ miles to the nearest store, and the nearest metro area similar to where he lives is well over an hour away. So we all make the sacrifices and choices to get what we want most.

-Eric

Fine by me. I've lived in the boonies before. As I get older, I want it badly again. Unfortunately, because of my work, I'm required to live in the city.

2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

finsruskw

Earlville, IA

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/20 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$550 here in Iowa and I'm good for 20K GCW on my 2015 Ram dually.

No fees on the Lance 1181, It's considered cargo.

Oh, and Iowa charges sales tax on a vehicle EVERY TIME it changes hands!!

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/20 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

finsruskw wrote:

Same process here in Maine. 5.5% sales tax on EVERY vehicle purchase / sale accept no tax on the trade-in vehicle at a dealership.

TC is also cargo on the registered pickup.

Lakeside

K Mac

Lower Hudson Valley N.Y.

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/20 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here in Westchester Co. N.Y., 13' F350 13,500 GVW. Pass. Vehicle, I pay $194.50 veh.reg.,veh.use tx.$30, $25 MCTD, ( Commuter Train tax), smog $35. $284.5 per yr. I'm reg.pass., commercial would be 25-50% more. T.C. $00.00 considered cargo [emoticon]

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/20 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lakeside013104 wrote:

finsruskw wrote:

Same process here in Maine. 5.5% sales tax on EVERY vehicle purchase / sale accept no tax on the trade-in vehicle at a dealership.

TC is also cargo on the registered pickup.

Lakeside

10% here, called Use Tax. Unless you know how to work your way around it.....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Registration Rant
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.