cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

toad versus no toad

LarryDel
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I currently tow a 4 door jeep wrangler. We are planning a trip out west (from our home in Delaware). We plan to visit as many National Parks as possible. We have always towed a vehicle, but it is a nuisance to gas up in tight crowded gas staions, hook up and unhook, extra weight going up and down mountains, poor gas mileage, etc. We were thinking of going without a tow vehicle and rely on Uber or car rentals as needed. We thought we might save enough on improved gas mileage to pay for car rentals. But not sure Uber or car rentals will be available where we are going. Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed.
28 REPLIES 28

grobvikos
Explorer
Explorer
Take your toad. You will definitely regret it if you donโ€™t.

Olddud
Explorer
Explorer
What I like about a toad is it acts as backup transportation should something really bad happen to the MH. Say you have a pet of some sort, it is hot outside, and something fails while on the road. Now you have a way to protect your buddy from the elements while attempting to get assistance for the MH.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
LarryDel wrote:
Thanks for all the comments. You have convinced me. We will bring the toad for sure.
Wise decision!

Once you have secured a campsite in or near our country's national parks and monuments, you will be so very happy you brought your Jeep.

We live near Chicago and focus on national parks and such. One year heading out west, we left our Jeep Liberty home thinking we wouldn't need it much. That turned out to be a very bad idea. Now it doesn't matter where we go, our Liberty always comes along. In our particular situation per my signature, towing our Liberty drops our fuel economy by 1 mpg. But we make it up by leaving the motor home at the campsite and drive the Liberty around at our destinations.

ctim
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 24 foot class c and have never towed. We have been able to use shuttles and public transport in many places, or we can drive our RV around short distances from the camp if necessary. We have rented cars several times, like Yellowstone, and it was well worth it and easy. We might be limiting ourselves a bit, but find it easier for the traveling we do, not to have the extra expense, etc. Whichever, have a fun time.

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have driven over 400k miles in a class A with a toad and 17 years. Now in a 29 foot and can take it or not. Most of the time I do not go with my toad. I found I can go everywhere I need to go and see 90% with no issues. I love having the coach in a park, we have a kitchen and bathroom and we can also spend a hour or more watching buffalo move or take a nap by a running stream. I would go without if you are not going into a city.. when we go to the city or the beach I will tow the Jeep. So. It depends but a really long trip to the parks is easier without the toad.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
Our Experience:
We have a 26ft Class C and this is first year we have had a toad. It is convenient and allows more flexible travel at your destination. However, we have visited about 60% of the National Parks in the USA (plus a trip to Alaska) and a Number of National Parks in Canada without a toad. Really enjoyed using the public transportation. You get to see more because you don't have to pay attention to the road and you meet interesting people. Its much more social. I also enjoyed not having to worry about the extra vehicle plus the extra cost if you take a ferry or toll road.

My fuel mileage is 8.5 mpg without the toad. It is just a little over 7 mpg with pulling the toad. We have about 35K miles on this MH without the Toad and about 3K miles while pulling the toad so we will have a better view of fuel economy difference by the end of this year.

The downside is in places outside of a National Park where you want to go to a trail head for hiking. I don't like to leave the MH unattended in those situations so we have missed out on some opportunities.

Happy Trails

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 24' Class C and we take the toad if we go anywhere for more than one night. You can use the satelite view on the Google navigation app to look at the gas stations in advance.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
The best person to answer the OPs question is the OP.
It's not like they're new to RVing or pulling a toad along with.
Only they can decide where they like to camp, what they like to do for activities, how long they stay in one spot, etc.

Every RV setup is a compromise. That is a given.
Personally with the TC when were not towing the boat to a "destination", if it's something like a big NP or somewhere else we will be spending a few days or longer, I unload the camper so we have the "toad." We are drivers. We go places and do stuff a lot of the time. Having to break camp multiple times, plus the burden of driving the while house while doing whatever, to me, is less desirable than unloading the camper.

I'd think hooking and unhooking the toad would be a lot easier and not a burden to tow.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Aadkins101
Explorer
Explorer
We are an elderly couple with a small MH. We spend several months in FL each year & rent a car. If you reserve ahead of time, you can get a really good rate. Weโ€™ve had it with towing anything!

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
Done it both ways. Prefer a towed to see more.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a 24' C and never have had a Toad per se but... I do have a 6 X 10' cargo trailer {14' overall} that I use to haul either my Indian Springfield motorcycle or our Polaris Rzr side by side depending on what sort of fun we want to have on any given trip.

I guess you could consider either the bike or the Rzr a Toad and they do see duty in that function though their primary purpose is having way too much fun. You have yet see any National Park until you do it from the back of a motorcycle and the Rzr is street legal in most states. We are planning on doing Yellowstone and Grand Teton in June and only need to find a site within 20 - 50 miles of either park and can then easily ride the bike to and through.

We went with the 24' C so as to never "need" a Toad and that has worked out very well even when we leave the trailer, bike and Rzr home. Did a 2 month 7,800 mile coast to coast trip a couple of years ago and never even came close to needing a Toad. It was always nice to know that no matter where we went, even if they only had one site we would fit. Sightseeing and even grocery getting was always easy to do and we spent more then half of our nights "Mooch Docking" {I love that term, LMAO} staying with friends and family. While many had lots of room some did not an any rig larger than ours would not have fit.

As always... Opinions and YMMV.

:C

Jack_Spratt
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 26โ€™ Class C and towed our Jeep Liberty out west last fall.
Class C > 5000 miles
Jeep. > 2000 miles
We enjoy riding fire lanes to spot wildlife and would have missed a lot without the Jeep.
Getting gas while hooked up was never an issue.
Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
LarryDel wrote:
My wife and I currently tow a 4 door jeep wrangler. We are planning a trip out west (from our home in Delaware). We plan to visit as many National Parks as possible. We have always towed a vehicle, but it is a nuisance to gas up in tight crowded gas staions, hook up and unhook, extra weight going up and down mountains, poor gas mileage, etc. We were thinking of going without a tow vehicle and rely on Uber or car rentals as needed. We thought we might save enough on improved gas mileage to pay for car rentals. But not sure Uber or car rentals will be available where we are going. Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed.

From your profile, it looks as if you have about a 30 foot Class C? In my opinion that length is too long to try and get to destinations or around at destinations without renting a small vehicle or pulling your own.

However, it's a different situation with a smaller Class C. We've had a 24 foot Class C for around 13 years and put over 76,000 miles on it and have never towed or rented. We've traveled all over the U.S. visiting national parks, state parks, private parks, county parks, staying on private land, and exploring out in the middle of nowhere ... plus many other places when making two long trips across the U.S. - one of 9 weeks and one of 10 weeks.

There is something to be said for always having your little home always with you - for quick rest breaks, quick potty breaks, and a hot or cold snack anytime - even when in a National Park parking lot. That's why we went small when we bought our Class C and have never regretted it.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
All I can do is agree with everyone else. Take the toad. Never had an issue getting gas, if it looks tight, stop on shoulder before committing. Go to next gas station if you feel uncomfortable at the first. Also start looking for gas when the guage reaches 1/2.
Extra fuel used, minimal, convenience with toad, priceless.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.