cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for solar info UPDATE

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
We are just looking for a small affordable solar system. This would be used to recharge a GRP 31 deep cycle battery ONLY. We just want it for lights and maybe rechargeable items. What would be good for wattage? 100 watts? 50? PWM controller? We will use the generator for all the power hogs onboard. Thx

We dont use power hungry items while boondocking, we have LED lighting, and would use propane or campfire for cooking. If we need the A/C we will be in a rv park. We dont want to get an inverter and just want solar to recharge the group 31 deep cycle. We just dont need a lot of solar or the expense of a big system
Proud father of a US Marine
11 REPLIES 11

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OP is not running his furnace, just some lights etc--see the OP, and he has one 31 battery.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
200 watts x 3 hours = 600 watt-hours. That's about 1/2 the capacity of a single group 27 deep cycle jar. It assumes an MPPT charge controller is used.

My furnace would use about 96 watt-hours if running constantly for one hour.

One might "squeak by" with 200 watts--but 400 would be a better choice.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have solar yet, but I don't see how 200-watts would be enough in the winter to run my furnace (I like it warm), lights, pump, tv, laptop and internet booster.

I now use my Champion inverter generator with golf cart batteries.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
600 amp-hours of 12 volt batteries is not going to run even the smallest of air conditioners for very long.

Do an energy audit. From that size the battery bank. Then add solar charging.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Of course, “more is better.” More solar panels, for overcast skies/shady campsites, and hey, battery is fully charged by lunchtime (sunny day), so wouldn’t it be great to have more battery, and next thing you know there’s 2,000 watts of panels feeding 600 amp hours of batteries so you can run a small AC overnight . . . .

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the summer and in full sun, 200 watts is enough for us. Later (October) in the year and cloudy days, it wasn't. I currently have 300 watts on the roof, and have 200 more to add this spring. I am using a Renogy Wanderer 30 amp PWM charger, it cost about 30 bucks. For panels, I am using HQST 100 watt panels.
I installed a Victron pure sine wave inverter for the tv, since that is all we use that isn't 12 volts or propane powered.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
I run 200 watts of solar with MPPT controller and my batteries (A pair of GC2's) are always fully charged by early to mid afternoon.
I would go with 200 watts if I were you.

EV2
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
suprz wrote:
We are just looking for a small affordable solar system. This would be used to recharge a GRP 31 deep cycle battery ONLY. We just want it for lights and maybe rechargeable items. What would be good for wattage? 100 watts? 50? Pcm controller? We will use the generator for all the power hogs onboard. Thx

In May at 49N sunny all day I measured an AH haul of 56AH with a 130w panel lying flat. That would bring your battery up from 50% SOC

However---
1. You will be using your battery all day too,
2. It is not sunny all day every day
3. It is not May all year
4. An RV has wheels so you will not be at the same latitude all year.

So it is a total WAG, but 200w flat might be enough most times, and you do have a generator for recharging via converter if not enough sun at times.

You can use a PWM controller with the 200w. An MPPT will only do a little better (maybe!) and will likely cost more.

Good answer. We spent 4 days at Lake Havasu and had minimal gen time for microwave. Batteries recharged each day for lights, water pump, furnace fan, and a couple of hours of satellite receiver and television. Batteries were recharged every day.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Your energy survey indicates you need..batteries? Solar panels? Controller?

Lights? LED, incandescent, florescent? PCM controller? Must be a new type.

This might work but you’ve provided no numbers. https://www.windynation.com/Polycrystalline-Solar-Kits/Windy-Nation-Inc/WindyNation-200-Watt-12-24V-Polycrystalline-Solar-Panel-Complete-Kit-with-LCD-Solar-Controller-RV-Boat-Of/-/631?p=YzE9NDY=
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Mobile-solarpower.com is a wealth of info on solar stuff.

100 watts would work with an MPPT controller. Better would be 200 watts, for those rainy days.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
suprz wrote:
We are just looking for a small affordable solar system. This would be used to recharge a GRP 31 deep cycle battery ONLY. We just want it for lights and maybe rechargeable items. What would be good for wattage? 100 watts? 50? Pcm controller? We will use the generator for all the power hogs onboard. Thx

In May at 49N sunny all day I measured an AH haul of 56AH with a 130w panel lying flat. That would bring your battery up from 50% SOC

However---
1. You will be using your battery all day too,
2. It is not sunny all day every day
3. It is not May all year
4. An RV has wheels so you will not be at the same latitude all year.

So it is a total WAG, but 200w flat might be enough most times, and you do have a generator for recharging via converter if not enough sun at times.

You can use a PWM controller with the 200w. An MPPT will only do a little better (maybe!) and will likely cost more.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.