cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

my travel trailer will be stationary throughout the year?

Matt1221
Explorer
Explorer
My co-signed & financed travel trailer will be stationary throughout the year & progressive won't even give me a quote on it. Who is your go to for cheap insurance? And is there tricks or tips to this?

Gieco offers a quote but no where to put the finance company name or additional owners.
Must have insurance before monday.
19 REPLIES 19

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
carringb wrote:
Beware of Allstate's stated coverages. At least when I had them, they did not extend collision coverage to a towed trailer, only liability (I guess in case you back over somebody?). This effectively left a gap in coverage, and Allstate auto pointed fingers at Allstate RV over who would pay for my totaled trailer (Allstate RV only provided comprehensive coverage)...

Last year while leaving Myrtle Beach State Park, I clipped a tree with my slideout topper which was totally torn off the TT (TT collision while moving out). Allstate paid for the fiberglass repair of the TT and a new topper replacement (except for the standard $250 deductible). It was all done online with no hassle. I don't know if MBSP filed a liability claim for any tree damage.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

Matt1221
Explorer
Explorer
Ok guys thanks for all the responses. I got a really good deal for 475 a year.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
A more accurate warning would be, beware of ALL insurance companies.
Not as old as some of you esteemed members, but old enough that Iโ€™ve seen or had good and bad experiences with quite a few insurance companies.
And surprising to some Iโ€™m sure, the top 3 worst have been Allstate, State Farm and AAA Chicago Motor club, in that order.
The first 2 actually committed fraud, the last just screwed my parents.
At the same time, Progressive โ€œwasโ€ good for us, but only a couple minor incidents, both of which were no fault and the other party had Progressive as well. But adding a new car a couple years ago must have triggered some rate check and Flo realized she hadnโ€™t been making enough $ off of us with a clean record and good rates.
Time for a new ins co. And amazingly, it was considerably less for better limits.

Never trust an insurance company.
Theyโ€™re in the top 5 for slimy business practices along with car dealers, mechanics, lawyers and home repairs.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Other than the financier demanding it, not sure why you'd need insurance on a stationary trailer.

yes That would be the reason. Just like your mortgage company requires life insurance, and homeowner's on your house. The finance company requires comp, and collision
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Hi.. I have state farm insurance on the truck and the 5th wheel .. the insurance is active when the 5th wheel is in storage and on the road. I live in in NE Colorado in the hail belt ... so I need insurance year round. Jim2007.
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
10) meth-heads steel the whole trailer
If you're living where meth-heads can steel (sic) your trailer, perhaps you should choose a better neighborhood.

Balance all that with the likelihood vs. the replacement cost of the trailer.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

KPetrick
Explorer
Explorer
Give us a call at Good Sam Insurance Agency. We use Safeco, Progressive, National General and Foremost. At least one of our carriers writes stationary RV's. There are limitations on certain coastal areas. Let us see what we can do for you and shop it. Regarding the "cheap insurance", we are going to go over all the coverage's that we think you should have and you can decide what works best for your situation. Your lienholder is going to require certain things and we can make sure you are covered properly.

Keith - Director of Good Sam Insurance Agency

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Matt1221 wrote:
My co-signed & financed travel trailer will be stationary throughout the year & progressive won't even give me a quote on it. Who is your go to for cheap insurance? And is there tricks or tips to this?

Gieco offers a quote but no where to put the finance company name or additional owners.
Must have insurance before monday.

I would just ask for a standard RV comprehensive quote. They don't need to know you aren't moving it. MANY new RVs never get used more than a weekend a year anyways. If they ask when you'll be towing with, just say it's being delivered and you'll rent a truck in the future with liability and collision coverage.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Other than the financier demanding it, not sure why you'd need insurance on a stationary trailer.

There are many good reasons for it. I'd even suspect most total loss claims involve stationary units rather than towed units. Off the top of my head, here are some potential comp claims I can think of:

1) Fridge catches itself on fire
2) stray campfire ember catches the trailer on fire
3) wilfire
4) Somebody backs into it, sending it rolling down a hill
5) tree falls on it
6) creek floods
7) toilet floods
๐Ÿ˜Ž meth-heads move in on a weekend you aren't around
9) meth-heads steel all the metal on, in, and under the trailer
10) meth-heads steel the whole trailer

This list could go on pages....
2015 Ford Focus ST

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Rover_Bill wrote:
My TT (when stationary at home, camping at an RV park, in storage, etc.) is covered by Allstate under my homeowner insurance like an external building. When it is being towed between campgrounds, Allstate covers it under my auto insurance as a separate vehicle.

Beware of Allstate's stated coverages. At least when I had them, they did not extend collision coverage to a towed trailer, only liability (I guess in case you back over somebody?). This effectively left a gap in coverage, and Allstate auto pointed fingers at Allstate RV over who would pay for my totaled trailer (Allstate RV only provided comprehensive coverage). In the end, my agent got it sorted out, as this gap in coverage was illegal in Oregon because the trailer was financed (and they also went back to call records where it showed I requested FULL coverage). But it took them 6 months to get it all sorted out, which meant my van was held hostage until they paid the $10,000+ in storage fees for the trailer.

I later found that Allstate will not extend any insurance coverage to a trailer you do not own, which didn't work for me as I was frequently towing state-owned equipment. This finally got me to shop around, and I ended up with a State Farm policy that extends FULL coverage to ANY trailer I'm hooked up too.

Hopefully by now they've cleanup up that mess between Allstate Auto and Allstate RV, but always read your binder in detail!
2015 Ford Focus ST

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

:E :S
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt theft of an RV or physical damage is covered under a homeowners policy.

I know for a fact mine is not.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
That's kind of strange, I've got my 40 foot 5th wheel covered with Progressive, and it's going no where. It's parked in a Co-Op park.