cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cummins 6.7 ISB no power to fan clutch

hughesjm21
Explorer
Explorer
While checking under the coach for filter numbers, I noted an electrical connector that was hung up on water pump pulley (I think). The belt had chewed through the wires that went to the connector. I think this may be the pigtail that goes to the fan clutch for radiator fan. Access is very limited in the area. I have no idea how long this condition had existed.

My question is how does the fan clutch fail when there is no power to it? Is it engaged or not?
9 REPLIES 9

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"2013 Tuscany 40EX 360 Cummins, Allison 3000, Freightliner" This is what the OP is referring to.

He did mention "coach" but that is really the only info besides it being a "Cummins 6.7 ISB no power to fan clutch" as mentioned in the thread title.

This is what I mentioned checking with a CUMMINS Dealer and NOT a RAM/Dodge Dealer.

When posting questions give as much info as you can, you will get better answers!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
hughesjm21 wrote:
None of the above answers provided answer the question. They are only opinions with no useful information.

Thatโ€™s your opinion. Perhaps you have a lack of comprehension. Youโ€™re not even certain what wires youโ€™re talking about or where they terminated. I donโ€™t give a rats rump what your issue is or anything further you care to comment on.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Using commons sense here, I would assume the engineers made the fan "fail safe" in that if it loses power it runs all the time. The electrical signal from the temperature sensor/ECM will turn it off if the cooling is not needed.

You could ask the Dodge guys at the garage to confirm but my guess is that it runs all the time with the wires cut.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
hughesjm21 wrote:
None of the above answers provided answer the question. They are only opinions with no useful information.

You ONLY have gotten what you have paid for!

If you don't want to deal with it your self take it to a Cummins Dealer and get it fixed.

More "FREE" advice. :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

hughesjm21
Explorer
Explorer

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m surprised you donโ€™t have a check engine light on. The fan clutch is PWM variable speed, and Iโ€™d think the ECM would be monitoring the clutch and itโ€™s response.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
If you have driven it with the wire broken, it is probably not engaged with power off. If it is engaged, the roar and drag is very apparent. My non-electric fan clutch locked, and about 10 MPH was top speed.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You need to replace it with same. Don't skimp or take short cuts or it will get even at the worst of times.