cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why extra coax connections in 5th wheel?

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
New to us Forest 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL came no paperwork or guides. I've been working thru the mysteries but have another one.
The unit has 2 TVs. Living and bed. Each one of them is connected to a coax cable and the living one also has a HDMI cable connected to it for no apparent reason. Unidirectional antenna on roof. The antenna booster is above the bed TV along with a 12V cig lighter style female socket.
Each TV has a dual coax female connection box behind it with nothing attached.
My question is why and what do they do?
Thanks for any help, FR is clueless even when they do respond.
Puma 30RKSS
8 REPLIES 8

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
The city and tank fills are 15 feet away at the rear road side corner. The black tank flush is in the bay but the door would be open at that point to access the drain pull handles.
Puma 30RKSS

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
bucky wrote:
Dave in TN wrote:
Possibly one is routed to a cable connector on the outside of the trailer and the other to a satellite connector. Have you located the coax hookup connectors outside (or in a utility bay)? Is there one or two? I would guess that fifth wheel is prewired for satellite.

Weird setup as I will also have to drill a hole in the floor of the compartment so that the door doesn't have to stay open and bang bang and forth in the wind when a cable is connected.

If the bay has your water connections, are there flip down or spinning covers on the bottom to allow hoses to hookup while closing the bay door? I've had that setup and just routed the coax through there. Maybe I misunderstood the placement but if inside the wet utility bay like I had that might work.
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave in TN wrote:
Possibly one is routed to a cable connector on the outside of the trailer and the other to a satellite connector. Have you located the coax hookup connectors outside (or in a utility bay)? Is there one or two? I would guess that fifth wheel is prewired for satellite.

I had walked the exterior looking for connectors as all of our previous units had them. I missed the ones on this unit as their placement was shall I say unusual. The unit's antenna sucks so I wanted to hook up the $35 Wal*Mart antenna that pulls in way more channels.
The water control bay requires me to be very close to it to open the door. We are currently at a camp that the site is raised above the local terrain. I was changing the water filter yesterday from the lower ground and there they were. Up against the roof in the bay. I guess the placement was to keep them dry, but if you have the valve open that sucks antifreeze in for winterizing you can't open the access door for the coax connections. Weird setup as I will also have to drill a hole in the floor of the compartment so that the door doesn't have to stay open and bang bang and forth in the wind when a cable is connected.
Puma 30RKSS

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
If I were you, Iโ€™d join the Forest River Owners Group forum. There you can post your questions under your brand and model where actual owners of your Blue Ridge are eager to share their ins and outs.

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
we have two sets as well. one is for the antenna on the roof the other connects to our satellite dish

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
My guess is they each had DISH/DTV receivers connected and they removed them for sale/trade. One may have had a Firestick via HDMi or apple TV etc or even the stereo DV, check your cabinets for possibly the other end to the HDMI.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
Is it possible the HDMI from the TV is connected to a radio with a DVD or Blueray player located somewhere else?
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7