cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Camera Setup with AND without a Slide-in Camper

sonuvabug
Explorer
Explorer
I want to install a backup camera wired to my newly acquired Edge Insight CTS2. I carry a low hanging slide-in camper in the back of our 2001 F250 during camping season. I think the Edge license plate mounted camera (available on their website) is a little spendy for what you get so I've been looking at other brands on Crutchfield etc.

The challenge is when we use the slide-in camper during the summer and I want to have the camera available to see behind this camper. As things are now, the back of the camper would drop down in front of any license plate mounted camera and block the "behind the truck" view. During the non-camping season, I'd like the camera to be mounted at the top of the license plate. I see a set-up whereby I can move the camera to either of two locations depending on what season it is.

Anyone tackle this issue? All recommendations welcome.
2007 Adventurer 90fws Truck Camper
2001 FORD F250 SuperCab; 8' box; 4x4, 7.3l diesel, rear Sumo Springs
10 REPLIES 10

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
I have two cameras, both hard wire.
One is a plug and play backup camera from Camera Source, and works just like the stock camera mounted in the tailgate and is activated when the truck goes into reverse.
The second camera is also hard wired and is for viewing the trailer a pull with my SXS, which is very difficult to see when the camper is on the truck.
This camera, and monitor cost $65 at amazon and works continuously while turned on in the cab of the truck, so I can easily see the trailer and SXS.
I have both plugs set up behind the license plate of the back bumper.

2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
I have aftermarket license camera on truck that is hardwired to radio/monitor.
Mounted another camera on camper. It (video) is wired to a transmitter, triggered by camper bu lights. Its receiver is mounted behind truck tail light.
The power lead from truck BU light that ran to camera rerouted thru 3way switch. From switch 1 lead goes to trucks BU camera, the other lead goes to camper receiver. Switch selects which camera is powered or sending signal.
On the video cable to monitor unplugged truck camera at rear, install an RCA 'Y'. To it plugged in both truck and camper receiver video cables.
All I need to do is flick the 3way switch to have wanted camera.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

sonuvabug
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks All. The monitor/receiving unit is an Edge Insight CTS2 with a single RCA plug input for the back up camera. It's more the back end set up & wiring I need to figure out.

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
check out rv cams,thats where I bought my system. I first bought one camera and mounted it below the bumper. Since my monitor had two channels I bought a second camera and mounted above the camper door. Been very happy with the system, and I sometimes tow a twelve cargo trailer with is near impossible to see with just the mirrors.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I bought some stuff from Tadibrothers on line. great service. they have many different options and will put together what ever you want if you call them.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2006. f 350 with a backup camera near the bumper, the monitor I use is an Android head unit, works great put the truck in reverse up pops the back up camera.
I wanted something I could monitor behind the camper, my camper also completely covers the license plate area. I bought a cheap camera on amazon, and installed it over the door of the camper, I connected this to a wireless transmitter (wifi) and use an old spare smart phone to receive the image. I can monitor the area behind the camper when the camper is on, when its off I use the camera on the rear bumper, its two separate systems. The wireless system is so easy ,hooking it up is a non issue.
I hard wired the camera to the transmitter and placed the transmitter as close to the Cab of the truck as possible, no lag, no problems, receiving the image on the phone. Put a switch in the system, when I get ready to leave on a trip I turn on the switch its powered up and the image is sent until I shut the power off.
I use one similar to this one, but there are tons of them available, this one works for me

https://www.amazon.com/Youmei-Backup-Realtime-Transmitter-Andriod/dp/B072Z478JV/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3V2IEBZ2VYXV4&keywords=wifi+transmitter+for+backup+camera&qid=1582243601&sprefix=wifi+transmitter%2Caps%2C341&sr=8-5#customerReviews

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
I'm probably way off but, I'm looking at a picture of an FWS on a Dodge, and it sure looks like the truck license plate is below the camper extension. If that is true, it's distantly similar to my ex-setup. A camera mounted on top of the plate worked just fine with tc on or off.
Cal

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wanted something like you're describing and the decision was made easier at Xmas when my brother gave me a Garmin Overlander to use for my truck. I didn't purchase the navigation package that was offered but have the large touch screen for the radio. The truck came with a back-up camera which is located in my bumper. Yea, different type of truck but I also wanted a camera to see behind my camper. Garmin has a wireless camera/transmitter that syncs to their unit and with an easy prompt I can see the Jeep and any traffic behind me. Like Kayteg1 described, I mounted it inside the camper wired into an overhead light and hidden by the window valance so it's centered. It works great, freezes still on a rare occasion for a split second and comes back. I can easily remove the camera/transmitter if needed. I know it's not exactly what your needs might be but guessing the year of your truck you probably need some type of dash mounted screen.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

sonuvabug
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
... snipped ... Campers have licence plates on the side, so that would be the first issue.

Than those wide angles cameras don't show much behind, while what you see is badly out of proportions.

Good for backing up against the wall, but not much for observation.
The best longer range view will come from roof-mounted camera with narrower angle.

I would have to jerry rig something for the TC so the backup camera would be centerd and not mounted where the plate is. Also, I don't think I want to have a high mount camera either. Would have to think about that. Just want a simply unplug and plug in and play way of moving the camera from TC to truck license plate (when no TC is being carried) as needed.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I advise you to do some comparison.
Campers have licence plates on the side, so that would be the first issue.
Than those wide angles cameras don't show much behind, while what you see is badly out of proportions.
Good for backing up against the wall, but not much for observation.
The best longer range view will come from roof-mounted camera with narrower angle.
As all in the life - it is going to be a compromise.
I order my truck with 360 cameras and transferred tailgate camera on camper. Works like a charm for maneuvering, but Ford program the system to go off above 8 mph.