cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

internet

maureens
Explorer
Explorer
I'm canadian going to travel throughout US for a few months.
I don't want to rely on public or RV park internet (not always available or consistent)
for safety reasons and route planning,etc.I'm wondering what advice people have:
data card in my iphone - what company do people use or
I understand there is a piece of equipment that people use to access internet at anytime.

thanks
7 REPLIES 7

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If only a few months you might try buying a "Burner" phone (Pre-paid monthly plans) I have a friend (Tom) who travels between USA and Canada all the time never mind the fact the border is closed to all but essential traffic (NOTE you need to look into that) he's essential Traffic. Those folks in California have to have their Chocolate and .. Toronto has Chocolate it seems (Among other things he carries. He is a Over the Road Semi Truck operator and hauls food so he really is essential. I was not joking there)

he has two phones One for Canada. One for USA.. Says it's cheaper that way.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wedgar
Explorer
Explorer
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
I've been using OTRMobile.com. It is unlimited/unmetered. It might not be a good solution for you for just the few months. Check it out.

OTRmobile became limited about two months ago they cap their plan at about 22Gb before they slow your connection down. Their tech support is only chat mode now and if it's terribly slow.

They used to be very good.

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure how the Canadian phone companies work - but if your phone is unlocked, you could purchase a sim card from a US company, put it in your phone and you're all set.

Then you've got unlimited talk, text and data.

Personally I'd recommend Visible - which is what my wife and son have. It runs on the Verizon network - which has good coverage. ATT (or one of the resellers of ATT) also has good coverage.

Straightalk is available through walmart I believe.
Once the sim is in your phone, you're all set.

Last - on some of the newer iphones, you can put in a 'virtual sim' - which I don't know how to do that first hand, but it supposed to allow you to have two phone numbers in one iphone.

I'm sure someone smarter than me will provide you with info on how to do that so you get the best of both worlds.

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
We use Tracfone sims in our Samsung phones. Pay as you go.

We also use a Straighttalk hotspot Also pay as you go. This has worked well

NOTE Hotspot name has been corrected
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using OTRMobile.com. It is unlimited/unmetered. It might not be a good solution for you for just the few months. Check it out.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

It depends on who your cell provider is. I have a North American plan from Bell Canada.

Failing that option, this link may help:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rvinternet/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What safety reasons?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad