cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brakes sticking

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
About two years ago I had a new undercarriage installed due to a nasty road hazard.

At the end of last season I notices that as I applied the brake, the TT slow then it seems like one of the brakes shoes would stick.

Last week we decided to dry camp in the snow at the State Park. Both coming and going in 25 degree weather. After about 15 of 20 miles, when I would apply the brake, no matter how light I set the controller, the trailer would start to slow then a brake would seem to stick and this sent a jerk though the TV.

It has been to cold to tear into the brake so I wondered if anyone else has had this problem.

I only have about 5000K on these brakes.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.
11 REPLIES 11

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Ah, so the axles were replaced. Some of the previous suggestions are still spot-on; adjustment, grease on linings, etc.
What ever the case, it will involve some disassembly and inspection.

Good luck!

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
After a road hazard had broken a spring, put a baseball sized dent in the tire rim, and damaged both axels. The Insurance company decided it would be cheaper to replace the entire undercarriage. A two and a half weeks wait and the new Lippert undercarriage was bolted to the frame and the TT was in my back yard.

Since then we have I have towed about 5000 miles but on our last trip in November I noticed a slight grabbing it the brakes. I had forgotten about it until we decided to do a Valentine's day trip.

As I mentioned starting cold there is no issues for the first 15 to 20 miles then the brake started to grab. If it is an adjustment issue I will do that when the weather warms a bit and I can pull the rim to pack the bearings.

I have a Tekonsha inertia type controller which I have used in my last two TV's. It is about 12 years old.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Too much slack in the shoes can cause this. The brakes that come standard on most trailers DO NOT have an automatic slack adjuster, but it's an easy upgrade if you want to add it. I highly recomend it. My tailer is heavy enough manual adjustments weren't good for very long.

And just to verify, you are using the Ford trailer brake controller, or an accelerometer-based controller like the Prodigy? And not a timer-based controller?
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

John_Burke
Explorer
Explorer
Before I would open anything up I would verify the problem. Pull the trailer to an icy, snowy, empty parking lot. Having somebody watch from along side you, drive past them about 5-10 mph. Apply the brakes, let off and have them see what wheel or wheels are locking up. If you have one or two stick check those brakes. If all of them are sticking look at your controller first.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
The only way to know what's really going on is to pull the drum(s) and look.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

babock
Explorer
Explorer
Common issue when you have grease on the linings. Does your trailer have the EZ-Lube "feature" and do you grease your bearings that way?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Do you know which brake is sticking?
I would take it apart and make sure everything is assembled right with the CORRECT parts.
One of the wheels on my TT came equipped with an auto-adjuster that was actually for the other side. :S
Everytime it auto-adjusted, it loosened the shoes until they fell apart.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
My first thought is RUST.
Eventually, unless rust prevention has been done whatever that would be, your brake mechnism will rust and cause it to bind. There are lever arms that might be rubbing on something and if it has a lot of rust it could stick.
The easy fix is to replace the brake (not the drum necessarily)
etrailer dot com is a very good source for all things trailer, and good prices.
They have people who can assist with suggestions also.

If you eliminated the electrical possibilities outside the brake then
Until you are able to take the wheel/drum off and look you will never know the cause.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Other than โ€œto tear into the brakeโ€ when it isnโ€™t โ€œto cold,โ€ I am not sure what too suggest.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I've seen brakes do that when they were really far out of adjustment.

Another possibility of to check all the wiring connections. Inspect any crimp connectors on the brake wires for loose connections.

Visually look under the trailer and verify there is a brake wire going to each wheel.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
What do you mean by "undercarriage"? New axles?