Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Over weight? Does it bother you?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Over weight? Does it bother you?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/20 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It bothered me enough to upgrade to a DRW for mine. Now I can enjoy the ride. I also have kids and a wife with me, if it was just me it might be different.

2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/20 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought my 1st 12' TC with F250 and even I bought new tires (with highest ratings I could find) for the trip, the scales show that camper overloaded rear tires by about 15%.
I made 2500 miles trip home just fine (in heavy winter) but even I removed rear generator, moved battery to front mount and such, the vision of tire blow with high COG made me buying dually 2 months later.
It is just not worth it.

HMS Beagle

Napa, California

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/20 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those saying 10%, 20%, 30% over is OK, I'm wondering what engineering basis you are depending on? If you have researched the axle, spring, and tire ratings and weighed each corner, and are under in each case, you could say that after careful measurement, in this application, you are within ratings. But to depend on an unspoken and unknown ''safety factor" that the manufacturer hopefully has built into their product puts the full burden of failure on you. Perhaps that safety factor - if it exists - is intended to cover the odd owner who willfully violates the specs. More likely it is to cover variations in manufacturing quality, aging, etc. How do you know that your 5 year old tires aren't the 3 sigma case, just clearing the failure criteria by a hair?

Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/20 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

For those saying 10%, 20%, 30% over is OK, I'm wondering what engineering basis you are depending on?

The actual axle rating put out by the axle maker is easy to find..I assume the others are also..

Until getting the internet,I had never weighed anything other than semi trucks..I have had big campers on 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks/hauled horses with the TC on also..Never a broken axle or blown out tire but I keep new tires and the truck serviced regularly..

After reading here,I was over on about everything and the only thing I ever added was springs.Never had a sway bar until now because it was on the truck I bought...

The secret is speed and I don't..60 is my top speed loaded up towing or hauling..Saw to many things turn bad(RV's etc) at speeds over that driving the hiways in my semi truck..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/20 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I often wake to a cold sweat from a reoccurring nightmare where the entire truck collapses underneath me as I head over a sheer cliff into the endless abyss while the entire internet screams GVWR! GVWR!!!!

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2400 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/20 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

From spending time in here lots of people have said that they were over weight with the camper.

I'm over weight.

Does it worry you? Does it keep you from going where you want to go?

How much "cushion" do you think the truck and tire manufactures build into their products?

5%? 10%? 15%? 20%?

I have no worries about the capability of my truck or tires nor do I believe that I'm unsafe.

How about you?

The key word in your question is..Drum roll..From spending time here..LOL

I live in a ranching and logging area where everyone is overloaded with something..DRW's pulling log skidders/tractors and ranching stuff and wood getters with wood piled two feet over the cab..

I see trailers on the side of the road with broken axles from weight but never pickups and there overloaded driving extreme wash boardy roads in a hurry to get home..Blowouts on trailer tires quite often because there the forgotten tire,but never on a loaded pickup...

I have a scanner and here all about RV and truck misadventures,especially on Whitebird hill just out of town..RV transmissions catching fire is #1 and spun out trucks and RV's #2 with pickups pulling an RV passing then wrecking coming in a close #3..

Nothing in 10 years about a pickup truck camper having a blowout or breaking an axle and a whole lot of calls to AAA and disappointed/stranded customers from out of state...

It is the internet where everything is true..Laffin

Take care and service your rear end regularly and keep new tires on your rig and don't speed and you will probably never have a problem other than on the internet....LOL

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/20 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

work2much wrote:

I often wake to a cold sweat from a reoccurring nightmare where the entire truck collapses underneath me as I head over a sheer cliff into the endless abyss while the entire internet screams GVWR! GVWR!!!!

It’s the internet screaming SWAY!! that has been interrupting my sleep lately!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/20 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This topic is bound to grow some legs.
Bottom line, everyone is different.....different opinions, knowledge, risk tolerance, perceived risk tolerance, experience or experiences.

Once you get all those traits, fears or qualities to align, we can end the weight discussions!

Example: My background is in the construction trades, auto/equipment mechanics, civil engineering and big construction.
Some of that training, education and experience leads me to be perceived as less risk adverse when it comes to vehicles and construction. Yet the same experience and education finds me more risk adverse when doing tasks such as P6 scheduling or complex spread sheets. As an engineer with my education and background, I should gravitate to those things and have a high level of competence and confidence in my abilities.
Yet, I don’t, whereas someone else with the same “paper”, may not have a high level of competence and confidence in towing a large trailer or pouring 300cy of concrete without things going wrong.

That part, to me, is totally understandable.
What is not understandable, on this forum, are the folks that, while respected for their different opinions, are too ignorant to see or admit that maybe....just maybe their assertion isn’t correct, there’s another way to do it, or are unable to back up their assertion. All while clinging to it like a life raft in shark infested waters!

* This post was edited 02/21/20 11:00am by Grit dog *

Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/20 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"How much "cushion" do you think the truck and tire manufactures build into their products? 5%? 10%? 15%? 20%?"

ZERO cushion in a lawsuit. YOU loaded overweight, you are liable, not the manufacturer.

"and you will probably never have a problem other than on the internet....LOL" That's the key...PROBABLY.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

joebedford

Sheltering at home

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/20 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's fine as long as you have a really big lift on your truck to take weight off the trailer front axle.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Over weight? Does it bother you?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.