Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Over weight? Does it bother you?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Over weight? Does it bother you?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/20 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

northshore wrote:

m not sure I understand all the aspects of being over weight... I need some help.
Ive got a 2006 f 350 DRW with "Tow Boss" basically that means among other things that I have a 4:30 ratio rear end and the GVWR is 13000lbs the code for the rear end is 4L. The rear GAWR is 9000 lbs (is this the Axle rating?) The rear tires are Michelins (I believe they are rated at 3000 + or - lbs) so am I wrong to multiply the rating of the tire by 4 (4 tires on the rear of truck) so approx 12000 lbs +

Your truck has a 9000 RAWR which is the lessor of a OEM tire....wheel...rear axle....rear spring pack. Most likely your weak link can be OEM wheel or tires.
The tires on the back of your truck are in duals (side by side) so their capacity is in dual application. Example is a single application may have a 3000+ lb capacity ...but dual applications is around 2700 lbs per tire.
Your tire mfg charts can help you sort out dual vs single for all the different sizes and load ranges.

You have the truck so get its actual scaled separate front and rear axle weights with attention to rear axle as its going to carry all the TC weight depending on cab selection/bed length/wheelbase and camper length.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

restlessways

Limbo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/20 11:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

restlessways wrote:

I would never exceed tire or axle ratings. My dually has a GVWR of 11,500, and I am fairly sure whatever camper I end up with will put me over it. That's why I am going to have a spring shop install another leaf in the packs. I will weight my truck first, then truck with camper to know exactly what I have, then I will account for some gear and tell the spring shop what additional payload I am looking for.

Please “Splain” how adding spring effects your tire and / or axle ratings?
Thx.

It doesn't, but I'm not going to be exceeding the rating of either so that's not my concern. What IS my concern is the fact that exceeding the payload and gvwr, in my experience, leads to poor handling. Suspension upgrades take care of that, hence my plan to add leaves.

SugarHillCTD

Sugar Hill, NH, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/20 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Practical experience here. Our former combination of the truck in my signature and a 2013 Eagle Cap 850.

We traveled all over the northeast U.S. and Canada. The truck has airbags inflated to 30-35#, Rancho 9000 shocks, 3970# rated tires and a BigWig sway bar.

Never had any sweaty palm moments when driving. Truck handled like it just had a heavy load in the bed, nothing bad. Never felt unsafe. I wouldn't risk our lives if I ever felt otherwise.

Coming back from a trip we happened to drive by a CAT scale. The camper had about 25 gallons of fresh water and our gear/clothing/etc. Wife and I in the cab with her two large dogs in the back seat.

The truck had a GVWR sticker of 9500#.

Here's my CAT scale print out. We were on the road and 2280# over GVWR.

[image]

The reason why we now have a 5th wheel is because SWMBO wanted a couch, dry bath and a bed that she didn't have to launch herself into to go to sleep. I was happy with the TC.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/20 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SugarHillCTD wrote:

Practical experience here. Our former combination of the truck in my signature and a 2013 Eagle Cap 850.

The truck had a GVWR sticker of 9500#.

I'm over by about 1100 lbs. 700 over on the rear axle or about 350 per tire over.

With the tires I have I'm not the least bit worried about tire failure.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/20 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SugarHillCTD wrote:

and a bed that she didn't have to launch herself into to go to sleep.

That's how I'm going to die. Getting out of bed. [emoticon]

swhunter

SF, NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/20 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Being over weight does concern me. I have a 1992 Lance with a 11’ 3” floor. Specta it seems to be very similar to the camper you have. I carry it on a 2000 Ford F350 7.3 diesel 4x4 CC Long bed SRW. I added air bags and upgrade to rear springs. The weight of the rig exceeded the stock 16” tires rating by more than 500 lb’s per tire on the rear axle. When loaded even with the tires at max 80 psi the sidewalls flexed a lot. I never felt that comfortable with the setup. As time went by I did become a little hesitant to drive the rig fully loaded. I recently added 19.5” wheels and tires. Now the new 19.5” tires are rated 615 lb’s more than the actual weight on them. The 19.5” tires side walls not flexing has made lot of difference in how the rig handles. And I feel a lot better about driving this rig now. I do have lot better piece of mind with this setup now.
Thanks,
swhunter

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/20 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It only concerns me when other people do it.

I don't know them, or their capabilities, or how they maintain their vehicles.

Lots of people out there who think they're God's gift to driving and hauling, but have no business being behind the wheel of anything bigger than a Nissan Versa.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

stufarmer

Tampa Fla.

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weight is about common sense. Tires are my biggest concern. You can do all you want with Springs, Sway Bars, Shock upgrades, but if the Tires cant handle the weight, you have a problem.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

restlessways wrote:

I would never exceed tire or axle ratings. My dually has a GVWR of 11,500, and I am fairly sure whatever camper I end up with will put me over it. That's why I am going to have a spring shop install another leaf in the packs. I will weight my truck first, then truck with camper to know exactly what I have, then I will account for some gear and tell the spring shop what additional payload I am looking for.

Please “Splain” how adding spring effects your tire and / or axle ratings?
Thx.

Nice bait, but no fish on.
Nothing to 'splain. He said he won't go over his tire or axle weights but will give it stiffer springs if needed.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Supercharged111

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/20 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been hauling for years over my GVWR on my upgraded 1500. Bone stock it would never have hauled my enclosed trailer safely, but it does as it sits and I've never had an issue. My dually has a GVWR of 10k which is a joke. The chassis cabs got a 12k rating with nothing more than a different transfer case and different upper overload leaf pack. The RAWR is 7500# and the axle's true rating is 8,600#. With the camper alone, I figure I'm at or under that and with the trailer and camper I'm likely north of that, but not astronomically so. I'm certainly south of the 12k+ the wheels and tires are all good for. The truck handles the load just fine. While it doesn't have 1000# of torque and a 10 speed tranny like the new new, the 600+# of torque from the Whipple gets the job done in OD most of the time and the temp gauge never climbs even in the dead of summer. The truck is stable and it stops well, so why would I have reason to believe I'm overloaded? GM intentionally slapped a 10k gvw on this thing to avoid it being a class 3 truck plain and simple. That's the thing nobody's brought up yet.

2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Over weight? Does it bother you?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.