Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New generator for new rv. Recommendations

SpecialOne
Explorer
Explorer
Hey there!
I've bought an RV last week, it's my first RV ever, so I'm really excited ๐Ÿ™‚
Currently, I'm choosing a generator for my new RV from this list. I think about the Honda generator and I'm open to your advice!
Thanks.
76 REPLIES 76

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
CharlesinGA wrote:

db ratings are not linear. The open frame unit you reference is rated at 64 db which is a LOT louder than one that is say, 56 db which is more in the realm of enclosed RV type inverter units.

Decibels are not linear in terms of power (and energy), but they are pretty near linear with respect to perceived loudness. We don't perceive acoustic power in a linear manner, which is partly why decibels are useful units. An increase of 8 dB is definitely noticeable but not what most people would characterize as a LOT louder.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
ronharmless wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
ronharmless wrote:
CharlesinGA wrote:
bid_time wrote:
In my opinion, the best buy for the buck Clicky
YOMV

Great way to Pi$$ off anyone within a quarter mile of you, and you will grow tired of hearing it too. No open frame generators for RV'ers, be a good neighbor, get an inverter unit.

Charles
"Champion 4000-Watt RV Ready DH Series Open Frame Inverter with Quiet Technology"
You must of been having a bad day and skipped right over that word "inverter"

The "inverter" doesn't make the unit quieter. You must have skipped over "open frame".
I would disagree with that assessment; an inverter does make the inverter generator quieter than a conventional generator (how much quieter can vary significantly depending on load). I'm happy with my generator, for my use it has been a great value, and no one else has ever complained about it.

Now, to be perfectly clear, an enclosure would make my generator even quieter, no dispute from me. But for $20 I could build an enclosure with sound insulation, that could still provide the necessary air flow. But I don't need the enclosure, others may need an enclosure. If they do, they may want to go ahead and throw in the extra cash and go all-in for an enclosed inverter generator. What ever floats their boat, I'm good with what i have.

db ratings are not linear. The open frame unit you reference is rated at 64 db which is a LOT louder than one that is say, 56 db which is more in the realm of enclosed RV type inverter units.

60db is the National Park Service limit, that is why all the enclosed RV type generators strive to get under the magic 60db. Yours may not be as loud as a real cheapie non inverter, constant 3600 rpm unit, but it is, at 64 db, more than I would want to listen to.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Well, this is one odd thread! Started by a spammer, and added on to.

macjom
Explorer
Explorer
I've been very happy with our Champion generator. It is quiet and very reliable.

JonWalter
Explorer
Explorer
We love our quiet and fuel efficient Honda generator! We also usually take our old, heavy backup along with us too, just in case we should need it for something since we have small children - which was nothing special from Harbor Freight.
https://printsbery.com/planner-templates/calendar

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
ramyankee wrote:

Probably would not power two ACs, correct?

For two roof air conditioners Yamaha makes a 4500 watt inverter/generator.

I believe Honda makes a 5500 watt unit. It is apparently equipped with blue tooth.

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Honda-EU7000IS-Portable-Generator/p14017.html

Champion makes a dual fuel 4500 starting watt enclosed unit:

https://generatorbible.com/generators/champion/_200991/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Not sure if you have Harbor Freight north of the border. This would be my genset of choice. 3500 watt genset
I have two Honda 2000s and parallel kit , Not that thrilled with them.

Probably would not power two ACs, correct?
Rick and Patti ๐Ÿ™‚
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

Teamjd
Explorer
Explorer
#1Flyboy wrote:
.... IF you buy a Honda you will pay more, but you will get more. Service, reliability, resale value and a proven generator. If you get a Communist China knockoff you will pay less but also get less and it might , maybe, produce the stated power output....

You do realize that Honda generators are made in Japan, China, Thailand, India, and US. While they are reliable and probably easier to get them fixed, it's pot luck where it was made.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
AE5TE,

I had a cage made, after my Yamaha 3000 developed wings.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

AE5TE
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
JalynRohan wrote:

I already have a Champion 3400 ***Link Removed***. Does it sufficient while traveling?

Yes. But if you wish to run it while traveling I'd suggest a cage or at minimum a rack with a hardened steel cable.

I have this unit. It is a good value but the feature that makes it easy to handle also makes it easy to steal. I do use a heavy locking cable. If anyone knows of a suitable ready built cage I would love to hear about it.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
JalynRohan wrote:

I already have a Champion 3400 RV ready generator. Does it sufficient while traveling?

Yes. But if you wish to run it while traveling I'd suggest a cage or at minimum a rack with a hardened steel cable.
Regards, Don

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Just to put a number on the noise issue, The National Park Service has this rule:

"Under this section the following is prohibited: Operating motorized equipment or machinery that exceeds a noise level of 60 decibels measured on the A-weighted scale at 50 feet, or, if below that level, nevertheless makes noise that is unreasonable."

36 CFR Section 2.12
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

JalynRohan
Explorer
Explorer
JalynRohan wrote:
gbopp wrote:
Congrats and welcome to the forum.
Tell us about your RV, make/model etc. and what you want to run with the generator. It will help us give you a more accurate answer.

You generally cannot run several appliances at the same time with a 2000 watt generator.
Enjoy your travels.

Which RV do I need to buy for a family of 5?

I already have a Champion 3400 RV ready generator. Does it sufficient while traveling?

JalynRohan
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Congrats and welcome to the forum.
Tell us about your RV, make/model etc. and what you want to run with the generator. It will help us give you a more accurate answer.

You generally cannot run several appliances at the same time with a 2000 watt generator.
Enjoy your travels.

Which RV do I need to buy for a family of 5?