Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: New generator for new rv. Recommendations
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> New generator for new rv. Recommendations

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev
ramyankee

North Idaho/Kootenai Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/21 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

Not sure if you have Harbor Freight north of the border. This would be my genset of choice. 3500 watt genset
I have two Honda 2000s and parallel kit , Not that thrilled with them.

Probably would not power two ACs, correct?

Rick and Patti ">
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES ">
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/21 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ramyankee wrote:

Probably would not power two ACs, correct?

For two roof air conditioners Yamaha makes a 4500 watt inverter/generator.

I believe Honda makes a 5500 watt unit. It is apparently equipped with blue tooth.

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com........-EU7000IS-Portable-Generator/p14017.html

Champion makes a dual fuel 4500 starting watt enclosed unit:

https://generatorbible.com/generators/champion/_200991/

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

JonWalter

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/21 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We love our quiet and fuel efficient Honda generator! We also usually take our old, heavy backup along with us too, just in case we should need it for something since we have small children - which was nothing special from Harbor Freight.
https://printsbery.com/planner-templates/calendar

* This post was last edited 03/24/21 12:32pm by JonWalter *   View edit history

macjom

Fl

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/21 02:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been very happy with our Champion generator. It is quiet and very reliable.

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/21 05:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, this is one odd thread! Started by a spammer, and added on to.

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 01:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ronharmless wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

ronharmless wrote:

CharlesinGA wrote:

bid_time wrote:

In my opinion, the best buy for the buck Clicky
YOMV

Great way to Pi$$ off anyone within a quarter mile of you, and you will grow tired of hearing it too. No open frame generators for RV'ers, be a good neighbor, get an inverter unit.

Charles
"Champion 4000-Watt RV Ready DH Series Open Frame Inverter with Quiet Technology"
You must of been having a bad day and skipped right over that word "inverter"

The "inverter" doesn't make the unit quieter. You must have skipped over "open frame".
I would disagree with that assessment; an inverter does make the inverter generator quieter than a conventional generator (how much quieter can vary significantly depending on load). I'm happy with my generator, for my use it has been a great value, and no one else has ever complained about it.

Now, to be perfectly clear, an enclosure would make my generator even quieter, no dispute from me. But for $20 I could build an enclosure with sound insulation, that could still provide the necessary air flow. But I don't need the enclosure, others may need an enclosure. If they do, they may want to go ahead and throw in the extra cash and go all-in for an enclosed inverter generator. What ever floats their boat, I'm good with what i have.

db ratings are not linear. The open frame unit you reference is rated at 64 db which is a LOT louder than one that is say, 56 db which is more in the realm of enclosed RV type inverter units.

60db is the National Park Service limit, that is why all the enclosed RV type generators strive to get under the magic 60db. Yours may not be as loud as a real cheapie non inverter, constant 3600 rpm unit, but it is, at 64 db, more than I would want to listen to.

Charles

'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CharlesinGA wrote:

db ratings are not linear. The open frame unit you reference is rated at 64 db which is a LOT louder than one that is say, 56 db which is more in the realm of enclosed RV type inverter units.

Decibels are not linear in terms of power (and energy), but they are pretty near linear with respect to perceived loudness. We don't perceive acoustic power in a linear manner, which is partly why decibels are useful units. An increase of 8 dB is definitely noticeable but not what most people would characterize as a LOT louder.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> New generator for new rv. Recommendations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.