cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fords new 7.3 Godzilla

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been reading a lot about the new 7.3 gasser from Ford and it certainly looks impressive. People are reporting 15 mpg non towing. New diesels with all the emissions **** are not doing a whole lot better than that and at a cost of $8000 more for the diesel option. That would buy a lot of gasoline. The complexity of the newer diesels have changed my thinking on engines. I run an 05 Ram Cummins and will at some point buy a new vehicle. I raised the hood on a new F350 last week and could not believe how everything is jammed in there. Looks like this push rod V8 from Ford may be a real winner.
55 REPLIES 55

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Shopping for a semi truck? Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
^ What does you picking out a class 8 or other HD truck have to do with light duty trucks in a different century?
BTW, thereโ€™s literally dozens of dyno charts for virtually every mass produced engine available right on the googler. And all the rest of the specs.

Well maybe somebody that was shopping would benefit from the idea of comparing fuel consumption at RPM they will be using.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Just thinking of the thread title....
Godzilla?? Because itโ€™s Godzilla sized? Itโ€™s not the power. Barely outruns itโ€™s 20+ year old replacement.
Nice engine it appears, but entirely underwhelming for that much displacement. Should mean itโ€™ll last a long time though. Which is good. No one buys them for their power!

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think it is interesting to hear that most of "comparison" in this thread to Diesels are in relationship to fuel mileage. To the best of my ability predicting the future.....I've owned my last Gasser and would never tow without a Diesel. For me it's all about how easy it tows and really nothing else. Tows easier, quieter, up hills, down hills and flat. IF I get slowed on a steep up hill grade due to some loser in the fast lane, I can gain speed rapidly up steep hills @ 2500 RPM. And, yes there is a lot under the hood of the new Diesels and it's gonna hurt when "fix it time" comes. But I will live with that in order to have the towing ease.........
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ What does you picking out a class 8 or other HD truck have to do with light duty trucks in a different century?
BTW, thereโ€™s literally dozens of dyno charts for virtually every mass produced engine available right on the googler. And all the rest of the specs.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Long long ago, when I was thinking about buying a new truck, I could get graphs that would show HP/RPM, Torque/RPM and Gal of Fuel per hour/RPM.
Of course, I could buy the same truck with different size engine/different power ratings/different engine manufacturers, so not sure Ford would want to put out that info.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
The fact that itโ€™s a close comparison between a 20+ year old engine and a brand new one is sort of funny. The OEMs arenโ€™t after any power wars with their gassers and the 7.3 is nice, but itโ€™s a hell of a big motor for such little power.
Either they donโ€™t care, or they tuned it down waiting for the others to catch up and then will be able to bump it up a bunch of times at little to no cost on their part.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
blofgren wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Likes to tow wrote:
Been reading a lot about the new 7.3 gasser from Ford and it certainly looks impressive. People are reporting 15 mpg non towing. New diesels with all the emissions **** are not doing a whole lot better than that and at a cost of $8000 more for the diesel option. That would buy a lot of gasoline. The complexity of the newer diesels have changed my thinking on engines. I run an 05 Ram Cummins and will at some point buy a new vehicle. I raised the hood on a new F350 last week and could not believe how everything is jammed in there. Looks like this push rod V8 from Ford may be a real winner.

I just bought a brand new Ford F350 STX 4 door cab with 8 foot bed and the 6.7L turbo diesel paired to the new 10 speed transmission. First 400 miles I am averaging 19 MPG not towing. I've only towed our FW about 100 miles but the average was about 14 MPG. I would expect that my MPG will improve a little as it breaks in. It's a complicated engine but has proven itself for almost a decade and has an impressive warranty.

Thanks for posting; sounds impressive! What differential ratio do you have?

2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
Likes to tow wrote:

I just bought a brand new Ford F350 STX 4 door cab with 8 foot bed and the 6.7L turbo diesel paired to the new 10 speed transmission. First 400 miles I am averaging 19 MPG not towing. I've only towed our FW about 100 miles but the average was about 14 MPG. I would expect that my MPG will improve a little as it breaks in. It's a complicated engine but has proven itself for almost a decade and has an impressive warranty.

Thanks for posting; sounds impressive! What differential ratio do you have?
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
alexleblanc wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
2012 V-10 362HP@4750rpm, 457TQ@3250rpm
2020 V-8 430HP@5500rpm, 475TQ@4000rpm

Like,I said the numbers, although a bit higher do not seem to go well for an engine designed for hauling weight. All the power output is too high in RPM. And unless they are going to give you 100% throttle control, all that is useless if they are gong to pull the throttle opening back when you need it the most? Like they do with current and past motors.

Iโ€™d like to see both graphs on beside each other as I believe the 7.3 makes more HP/TQ at the V10โ€™s peak rpm levels, it just happens to keep making more HP/TQ at higher rpmโ€™s.

I do remember seeing it and you may be right. I just would've thought that for a workhorse motor they would've brought the operating range down below the current V-10! I'm sure it will tow better. I would love to see a side comparison in the real world and not on a drag strip (TFL testing).
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

Like,I said the numbers, although a bit higher do not seem to go well for an engine designed for hauling weight. All the power output is too high in RPM. And unless they are going to give you 100% throttle control, all that is useless if they are gong to pull the throttle opening back when you need it the most? Like they do with current and past motors.

Iโ€™d like to see both graphs on beside each other as I believe the 7.3 makes more HP/TQ at the V10โ€™s peak rpm levels, it just happens to keep making more HP/TQ at higher rpmโ€™s.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Reisender wrote:
You gotta wonder, at least for the F150 half ton crowd, if this is just a stop gap until fords Electric F-150 hits the market in a couple years. Looking at the comments here about non towing MPG of under 20 MPG. Ugh. That is horrible for the performance you get. For those who don't need to tow a heavy trailer long distances but just want a good looking fast truck thats cheap to run and maybe drag the boat to the lake etc, the Electric F-150 is going to slay the gasser. 2022 is going to be interesting.

The Tesla towing thread is just down a few. May go hang out there.....
And donโ€™t hold your breath the elect F150 will slay anything but an extension cord if youโ€™re trying to tow with it. But nice thread jack!

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
steve-n-vicki wrote:
I have 9200 miles on my 7.3, I pulled an enclosed trailer to Dallas and back was running about 70 mph I was getting 9.8 miles to the gallon , pulling a 82 inch wide by 16 foot long flat bed trailer was a John Deere 1025 on it or an altoz 660I zero turn mower, I get 15.2 miles to the gallon, on a straight level stretch of highway between my house an Beebe which is 24 miles I get 16.4 miles to the gallon empty, The truck is an F350 super crew long wheelbase

And for comparison. My 02 Excursion V-10 with 3.73's and a 4 speed would do 15mpg. With 4.30's it did 14.3. Towing with 4.30's and a 5 star tune would do 7.5 towing a 35ft 9300lb 11.5ft tall trailer.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is