Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Fords new 7.3 Godzilla
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Fords new 7.3 Godzilla

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blofgren wrote:

ScottG wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

ScottG wrote:

I built a 3/4T 7.3 4wd on the Ferd site and it would let me chose 3.55 or 4.30 gearing but not 3.73 unless I went to the 6.2L.
It also would not let me upgrade the alt without going to the 6.2L eng.

The 6.2 is not available with the 10 speed like the 7.3. Also the 7.3 can be upgraded with dual batteries and alt.

I didn't try to build a 6.2 and no, I could not upgrade the alt.
I did build a 350 and I could then get the 3.73 Diff but the only alt upgrade is the big 397 amp unit which requires dual batterys (no thanks). If you only want the 240A you have to go to the 6.2 or 325A unit requires PSD.

I might go for the 4.3 diff if I could find out what kind of RPM it's doing in 10th gear @ 60 mph.

Of course, I'm no tready to give up my Cummins in the very near future but some day I'd like to get a new truck that's dependable and diesels aint.

I'm not sure where you get that diesels aren't dependable; I'm not in the least bit worried about mine.... [emoticon]

I'm not the least bit worried either, I'm on my 3rd diesel (2004,2012,2019)and my second modern emissions equipped one as well. They have all treated me well. The only person I personally know that ever had major issues with one was a pre emmissions 2004 Duramax. Define dependable, even the so called bullet proof gassers will break down. With 25-30% better mileage towing or not towing, mountains of torque etc., it's worth the perceived idea of them not being reliable.

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

lenr

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My opinion--yours will vary->
All engines have improved in long term durability. My son has a 6.2 running strong at 196K with no oil use. It's time to forget the 6.0 diesel (unless you were personally burned). It was an International design. Ford bent over backwards to make sure the 6.7 was reliable. Yes, there were a few problems the first 2 years, but the transmission torque converter was actually a bigger problem. We had zero problems with our 2012 6.7 until about 80K. The 6.2 gets a 6 speed only in the 250, and it's actually a beefed up 150 transmission (TorqueShift-g). We get 19 - 20 mpg cruising at highway speed obeying the speed limit--15 around town--11 towing a 12.7K fifth wheel. Distinctly better than a gas engine. The higher cost of fuel does result in a similar cost per mile of fuel, leaving the initial cost as the biggest factor. However, I expect to replace this 6.7 with another because I LOVE all the HP that a diesel gets between 1000 and 2000 rpm.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Likes to tow wrote:

Been reading a lot about the new 7.3 gasser from Ford and it certainly looks impressive. People are reporting 15 mpg non towing. New diesels with all the emissions **** are not doing a whole lot better than that and at a cost of $8000 more for the diesel option. That would buy a lot of gasoline. The complexity of the newer diesels have changed my thinking on engines. I run an 05 Ram Cummins and will at some point buy a new vehicle. I raised the hood on a new F350 last week and could not believe how everything is jammed in there. Looks like this push rod V8 from Ford may be a real winner.

I just bought a brand new Ford F350 STX 4 door cab with 8 foot bed and the 6.7L turbo diesel paired to the new 10 speed transmission. First 400 miles I am averaging 19 MPG not towing. I've only towed our FW about 100 miles but the average was about 14 MPG. I would expect that my MPG will improve a little as it breaks in. It's a complicated engine but has proven itself for almost a decade and has an impressive warranty.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Likes to tow wrote:

Been reading a lot about the new 7.3 gasser from Ford and it certainly looks impressive. People are reporting 15 mpg non towing. New diesels with all the emissions **** are not doing a whole lot better than that and at a cost of $8000 more for the diesel option. That would buy a lot of gasoline. The complexity of the newer diesels have changed my thinking on engines. I run an 05 Ram Cummins and will at some point buy a new vehicle. I raised the hood on a new F350 last week and could not believe how everything is jammed in there. Looks like this push rod V8 from Ford may be a real winner.

I just bought a brand new Ford F350 STX 4 door cab with 8 foot bed and the 6.7L turbo diesel paired to the new 10 speed transmission. First 400 miles I am averaging 19 MPG not towing. I've only towed our FW about 100 miles but the average was about 14 MPG. I would expect that my MPG will improve a little as it breaks in. It's a complicated engine but has proven itself for almost a decade and has an impressive warranty.

Having a warranty and honoring it are two different things...

That said it does seem like most of the 6.7 PS problems were with the earlier models.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Likes to tow wrote:

Been reading a lot about the new 7.3 gasser from Ford and it certainly looks impressive. People are reporting 15 mpg non towing. New diesels with all the emissions **** are not doing a whole lot better than that and at a cost of $8000 more for the diesel option.

I am getting 21 mpg in my ford diesel non towing, I guess if thats your idea of not much better then ok. personaly I think a 50% increase is quite a bit better.

I have been hearing a lot of good things about this motor even though it is gas haha. but it will come as a premium over the base motor also so might not be that much difference in cost over the diesel.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2002 7.3 liter diesel gets 23.8 on the level. It will still be running after your gas 7.3 has died.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m curious to see how it does in real world driving. It doesn’t sound any better on paper than the outgoing V-10!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

I’m curious to see how it does in real world driving. It doesn’t sound any better on paper than the outgoing V-10!

An additional 68 horsepower and 18 ft./lb. torque sounds pretty good on paper to me!

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's simplicity as a push-rod engine is also appealing.
As an unbiased truck owner, Ford appears to be in the lead as far as HD gas offerings.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You gotta wonder, at least for the F150 half ton crowd, if this is just a stop gap until fords Electric F-150 hits the market in a couple years. Looking at the comments here about non towing MPG of under 20 MPG. Ugh. That is horrible for the performance you get. For those who don't need to tow a heavy trailer long distances but just want a good looking fast truck thats cheap to run and maybe drag the boat to the lake etc, the Electric F-150 is going to slay the gasser. 2022 is going to be interesting.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Fords new 7.3 Godzilla
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.