cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

? Have you purchased from Walnut Ridge or Modern Trailer Rv

kicker
Explorer
Explorer
Doing research on a new 5th wheel. I am looking at Montana High Country or Keystone Avalanche. Walnut Ridge carries the Montana High Country and Modern Trailer carries the Avalanche. Both models have similar floor plans but some different options.
Montana High Country : Electric Leveling, option to purchase slide toppers; 3000 # rated towing hitch.

Keystone Avalanche : Hydraulic leveling, no factory option slide topper, 300# max accessory hitch ( bike carrier etc)

What I am more interested in service after sale. How well does each service department work with y’a to get things fixed in a timely manner. Yes I am well aware of Keystones reputation. However, Modern Trailers offers something called RV warranty forever that covers something like 85 components. Is it worth it or not. One draw back is you have to bring trailer back to Modern Trailer every year for inspection and pay a fee of 175$ to keep your warranty forever .
6 REPLIES 6

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our current fifth wheel from Walnut Ridge. They let us look around on our own for hours as we crawled in and out of most of their used ones. Once we found a couple we liked we walked back in and got a salesman. The transaction went well.
They did a good job of cleaning the camper before we picked it up and did a nice walk thru. The only issue we had was they said they would put a new battery in it and fill up the propane tanks. They put in a used battery and didn't fill the propane tanks. My mistake for not checking.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
DownTheAvenue wrote:
kicker wrote:
However, Modern Trailers offers something called RV warranty forever that covers something like 85 components. Is it worth it or not. One draw back is you have to bring trailer back to Modern Trailer every year for inspection and pay a fee of 175$ to keep your warranty forever .

That, my friend, is a total rip off designed to fatten the dealer's wallet. Don't fall victim to these sealer scams. In fact, any dealer offering something like this has given you a lot of information- they are more interested in conning you for their monetary gain than to treat you with respect in hopes you will continue to do honest business with them. How do you think they will treat you after the sale?
So, after you pay them $175.00 for their "inspection" do you really think they won't find anything wrong that they can charge you way more money to "fix"? That's like giving them a blank check. Run don't walk.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
kicker wrote:
However, Modern Trailers offers something called RV warranty forever that covers something like 85 components. Is it worth it or not. One draw back is you have to bring trailer back to Modern Trailer every year for inspection and pay a fee of 175$ to keep your warranty forever .

That, my friend, is a total rip off designed to fatten the dealer's wallet. Don't fall victim to these sealer scams. In fact, any dealer offering something like this has given you a lot of information- they are more interested in conning you for their monetary gain than to treat you with respect in hopes you will continue to do honest business with them. How do you think they will treat you after the sale?

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would bet those two rear hitches are the same, just advertised differently, one with the 300 Lb Tongue weight, the other with 3000 Lb pull capacity. Which are the same hitch used any many fifthwheels, 300 Lb tongue/3000 Lb pull cap.
And I would take the Hydraulic Leveling system over the electric any day.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered my Montana fifth wheel from Walnut Ridge and went to Indiana from Utah. Price was great , local dealers could not even come close . It was worth the trip to buy from them . I couldn’t ask for a better transaction. Changed some things when ordering , everything was built as ordered . It’s been awhile , but they were great to work with .

Although I never used there service there was a couple items they took care of that day of purchase without delay . They are a pretty good sized outfit . They seem to run a pretty smooth operation . No complaints here.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"have to bring trailer back to Modern Trailer every year for inspection and pay a fee of 175$ to keep your warranty forever."

You know the yearly inspection fee but how many times did you slowly read the warranty "deal" specifics?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad