Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Homeless people coming to your favorite campground!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Homeless people coming to your favorite campground!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/20 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not only spending more on rent will help, but so will camping in hard-to-get-to places. Poor people, and thieves, generally don't bother.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/20 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We rarely see the down and out folks in the state and national park campgrounds we favor. The 14 day or less stay limit for most may have something to do with that.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/20 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I understand and ~agree with the sentiment of this string...

Last week at a AZ regional park a school bus pulled in next to us. He also had an old Suburban and a trailer full of what looked like junk. My initial reaction was similar to this thread.

One day I was changing a tire on my ebike which cost more than most of what my neighbor seemed to own. Out of nowhere ‘Kenny’ approached me, along with some “no flat” solution he had left over and a couple of tools to loan me along with some advice.

Kenny looked “down and out” as you might expect. But he was a caring human being who made me recognize myself and turned my indignation into shame.

We are all God’s children, many of us more fortunate than others (and more fortunate than we really deserve if we admit it). I do my best (imperfectly) to view others with compassion instead of thinking I’m better than they are...

Ron & Pat
2013 Silverado 3500 Duramax SRW
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/20 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, not trying to turn this political with my last post...but...trying to get each of us to look at ourselves in the mirror and try to help advocate for improvement for this segment of our population instead of just trying to push them into a corner we don’t have to see...

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/20 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MNRon wrote:

Last week at a AZ regional park a school bus pulled in next to us. He also had an old Suburban and a trailer full of what looked like junk. My initial reaction was similar to this thread.

One day I was changing a tire on my ebike which cost more than most of what my neighbor seemed to own. Out of nowhere ‘Kenny’ approached me, along with some “no flat” solution he had left over and a couple of tools to loan me along with some advice.

Kenny looked “down and out” as you might expect. But he was a caring human being who made me recognize myself and turned my indignation into shame.

We are all God’s children, many of us more fortunate than others (and more fortunate than we really deserve if we admit it). I do my best (imperfectly) to view others with compassion instead of thinking I’m better than they are...
MNRon your post reminds me of a old saying (But for the grace of God go I).

#1Flyboy

California

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/20 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I said in opening post it has not affected us yet, as we are also homeless... And we don’t do resort or upscale, but, prefer Boondocking or Government sites..Yes homeless as we are FT in a TC, and , we are also camphosts. And agree we all need a place to stay, but, I think the outcome is that a lot of folks are gonna have a more difficult time finding a campsite.

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/20 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Full time RV living is not "homeless". You need an address aka domicile to register vehicles and to maintain a drivers license and mail and voting etc. The RV is your home and it's registered to a legal address somewhere.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/20 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MNRon wrote:

Great post. Thank you.

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/20 11:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

MNRon wrote:

Great post. Thank you.

Yes, Great Post.
There is just not enough compassion shown in this world these days.

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/20 02:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will quote a comment you posted on a generator thread earlier today
#1Flyboy wrote:

.... IF you buy a Honda you will pay more, but you will get more. Service, reliability, resale value and a proven generator. If you get a Communist China knockoff you will pay less but also get less and it might , maybe, produce the stated power output....

The same principle applies.

This reminds me of people who take a cheap, budget cruise and then complain about the type of people on the ship.

* This post was edited 02/22/20 02:14am by 2112 *

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Homeless people coming to your favorite campground!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.