Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Homeless people coming to your favorite campground!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Homeless people coming to your favorite campground!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/20 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CavemanCharlie wrote:

I didn't read all 4 pages of this thread.

I have a 27 year old Travel Trailer. I don't have a pit bull right now but, I've had one in the past and it was a great dog. I suppose you could call me unkempt and disheveled. I would love to camp next to you just to piss you off.

On second though, I don't want to camp next to someone with a RV that cost more then most houses, who has one of those annoying little ankle biter dogs, and is playing load opera music all night long. People like that are jerks.

I went to far with this post and I apologize.

After reading the OP's post I jumped to the conclusion that a lot of people on this site think that if you are a working class person with a older RV that you must be homeless, a drug addict, a person to be feared, a person with a mean dog, or, in some other way, a bad person in general.

I should not have generalized all RV owners like that and I'm sorry.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/20 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trekkar wrote:

MrWizard wrote:

Quote:

The vast majority of homeless have issues that defy solutions. Mental illness and substance abuse is the underlying causation of homelessness.

Yes.. but most of those are on City streets

Not with family in RVs at campgrounds.. Those people have financial problems

X2. Too many jobs don't pay enough to pay all the bills as well as the sky-rocketing rent and housing costs.

X3!
It is a fact that housing cost are going crazy especially on the left coast. As a park host we see this often many work and are clean, but can’t afford rent or payments.
We full time as host right now, we are houseless, not homeless.
Most of the ones we see are good people down on their luck.
Oregon gives Veterans 10 days a month free for their service. So if husband wife are both vets they can get 20 days a month for no charge. They do need to change parks every 14 days same as any other campers.
We love what we are doing, currently in a closed park on the Oregon Coast, we are about 50’ off the beach with a great ocean view. We are protected from all winds except direct from the west and that just rattles the slide toppers.
We change parks every one to three months so the view is always changing.
We love dealing with campers and really enjoy the lifestyle.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/20 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CavemanCharlie - it takes a big man to recognize when you’ve gone too far and apologize. I applaud you, and wish that we all had the humility to admit when we were wrong, our country would be a better place. Thanks for stepping up

CavemanCharlie wrote:

I went to far with this post and I apologize.

After reading the OP's post I jumped to the conclusion that a lot of people on this site think that if you are a working class person with a older RV that you must be homeless, a drug addict, a person to be feared, a person with a mean dog, or, in some other way, a bad person in general.

I should not have generalized all RV owners like that and I'm sorry.

Ron & Pat
2013 Silverado 3500 Duramax SRW
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

Lightning55

Pleasanton, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/20 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have the solution to the homeless problem and I'm not surprised that camp grounds are being used by them. I try to be sympathetic but I quickly loose compassion when I see homeless camps that are totally trashed with garbage. Living under a tarp or tent must be horrible but living in squalor and filth seems to be a choice many of them make. As far as staying in campgrounds...I say if they pay the fees, abide by the rules of the campground they have as much right to stay there as I do.
Btw, I agree that CavemanCharlie is a big man to step up and apologize.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/20 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CavemanCharlie wrote:

I went too far with this post and I apologize. .
Thank you.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/20 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In California, there are lots of people living full time in RVs that have lost their homes to fire. They are allowed to stay at some places long term with reduced rent. If you lost all of your belongings in one day, you may not look so good to the rest of the world either.

America is often a classist society. People have strong opinions about other people based on how they look. Don't be guilty of it.

Gulfcoast

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/20 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The wealthy need to be thankful for what they have, and have more compassion for those of us who have way less.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/20 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have een some. Long time patrons of a campground in Michigan. lost jobs and everything but their RV and vehicle.They worked out some kind of arrangement.
Seen some others around the Country and they feel shamed being out of work, and having to live hand to mouth.
It hurts my heart and soul to see them this way.Unfortunately I have not been blessed enough to offer or provide any solution.

caver

Missouri, The Cave State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/20 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know there are quite a few, under the average retirement age, that seem allergic to work. So they buy into the create youtube videos and it's like an endless vacation. Then they get a patreon account and are constantly gifted other items. Some day the floor will drop out with many left without a real plan. They just wander around filming the same boring stuff and people stop watching while thinking maybe network TV wasn't so bad. [emoticon]

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/20 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

caver wrote:

I know there are quite a few, under the average retirement age, that seem allergic to work. So they buy into the create youtube videos and it's like an endless vacation. Then they get a patreon account and are constantly gifted other items. Some day the floor will drop out with many left without a real plan. They just wander around filming the same boring stuff and people stop watching while thinking maybe network TV wasn't so bad. [emoticon]

You could be right about some of them not having a plan for the future and the floor could drop out from under them.

That being said, some of those people make big money on those YouTube videos. If they are smart enough to spend it wisely and save some of it I have nothing against them. I watch a lot of those videos myslef. I hardly ever watch TV anymore.

A lot of people I know don't even have network TV anymore. They have things like Netflix and Hulu instead.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Homeless people coming to your favorite campground!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.