cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Favorite Browser?

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Reportedly both Chrome and Firefox top the list as far as popularity goes. When I was using Windows XP years ago I ran both, and was satisfied. Since graduating to Windows 10 I've used Edge and found it satisfactory. It has been greatly improved from its early beginnings according to recent reviews,
However, experimenter that I am, I decided to look into other not so famous browsers. I've recently settled on Brave and have made it my default browser. It appears to be doing everything it advertises, such as blocking trackers and loading websites quickly. I've found nothing not to like. Anyhow, that's my observation. What have been your observations?
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
34 REPLIES 34

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow, now we have unlimited plus 15G. What a deal :R
Puma 30RKSS

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Whenever I go online using Chrome or Edge, I am always amazed at the amount of popups and ads.

Most people I talk to don't even know that programs other than Edge and Chrome are available.
Adblocker works on Chrome just like it does on Firefox.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I use Firefox with AdBlocker. Vast majority of ads and pop ups are blocked.

I also have Chrome available - on rare occasions, I've had to use Chrome to do some internet stuff... but the last couple years that has basically stopped, I think Firefox updates often enough to handle everything.

Whenever I go online using Chrome or Edge, I am always amazed at the amount of popups and ads.

Most people I talk to don't even know that programs other than Edge and Chrome are available.

rootwilliamson
Explorer
Explorer
I use Google Chrome with different useful extension, especially vpn extension for change IP address to access all content that I want. https://www.purevpn.com/download/chrome-vpn

babock
Explorer
Explorer
T18skyguy wrote:
I hear ya on that. Your in a nice restaurant and they let loose an autoplay and you have to mute it. Such a friggin nuisance.
Why are you in a nice restaurant and using your phone/computer in the first place?

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
I use Opera built in VPN; w/Duck-Duck-Go as a search engine and Safari on my Mac/OS. Use Opera and Chrome on my W/10. MalwareBytes and Eset for viruses!

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:
I hate, hate, hate auto-play videos. And if you are in an RV with limited bandwidth it's much worse. I KNOW HOW TO CLICK THE PLAY BUTTON. I think whoever creates/allows auto-play videos should be put in prison. Did I mention that I hate auto-play videos?

Having said that, it seems like Firefox does the best job of stopping auto-play videos, but it's not easy, even on Firefox. If anybody knows a browser that does a better job of blocking auto-play videos I'll give it a try.

I hear ya on that. Your in a nice restaurant and they let loose an autoplay and you have to mute it. Such a friggin nuisance. Makes me want to go back to a flip phone. There's an app called Video Autoplay blocker by Robert Sulkowski. It was very effective at one time. You might give it a shot. When an autoplay comes on I just want to strangle somebody, just don't know who.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

I mainly use firefox. However I do keep another browser active just in case FF should fall over.

Agreed. Always good to have a backup because stuff happens.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I mainly use firefox. However I do keep another browser active just in case FF should fall over.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I like experimenting with various browsers. I just re-installed Opera just to "play" with, but I had uninstalled it a while back due to concerns over its Chinese origins (probably unfounded). Others I've tried are Vivaldi, Yandex, Firefox Quantum and Epic, each having its own desirable features. I'll no doubt continue with my Brave browser since I've not yet found anything to fault it.

Cristian123
Explorer
Explorer
I also like Chrome most of all. Also I use Firefox and Opera.

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:
I hate, hate, hate auto-play videos. And if you are in an RV with limited bandwidth it's much worse. I KNOW HOW TO CLICK THE PLAY BUTTON. I think whoever creates/allows auto-play videos should be put in prison. Did I mention that I hate auto-play videos?

Having said that, it seems like Firefox does the best job of stopping auto-play videos, but it's not easy, even on Firefox. If anybody knows a browser that does a better job of blocking auto-play videos I'll give it a try.

X2 on hating autoplay. Most of them aren't worth watching anyway.
The settings menu in Brave has an explicit setting for blocking it. The Chromium based Edge browser has the ability to block it also but it's also not easy to use since it requires a special incantation to get to it otherwise it only allows you to "limit" autoplay.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Safari on iOS. It’s a real pleasure getting out of the Microsoft mess. Just turn it on and it works. Now, isn’t that a great idea?

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I use Chrome with extensions for blocking ads and disabling autoplay - works fine.
Kevin