cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram 3500 DRW 6.4 8sp for TC?

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
Doing my research for a new TC hauler, I spent some time on Ram forum researching the new Hemi with 8 speed with positive results.
Everyone who has the new 8 speed is very happy with the performance and the 3:73 vs 4:10 doesn’t seem to be as critical with the additional gears.
For a 5k lb TC I would be looking at a 19-20 Ram 3500 CC DRW 4x4 6.4 8 speed 4:10.
I like the new Ford 7.3 but my last 3 trucks have been Ram and I’m happy with them.
A new Tradesman can be bought for low $40K range. I haven’t seen any Fords but I’m sure they will be significantly more expensive.
My use would be carrying the TC and occasionally towing a 4K lb Jeep Wrangler.
Based on recent tests, the Ford may offer a little better performance but I think the Ram will be plenty of truck for my needs.
Anyone running the new Ram Hemi 8 speed and what are your thoughts.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650
14 REPLIES 14

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
brholt wrote:
noteven wrote:
brholt - do you know what build code id’s axle ratios on a Super Duty?

You mean this?

Ford Truck Axle ratio's

Yes sir!

Thank you

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
noteven wrote:

You mean this?

Ford Truck Axle ratio's

bwlyon
Explorer
Explorer
We still have our 2015 Ram 3500 with the 6.4 and 3.73 gear ratio, and we get along just fine. With that said, if we bought a new truck we’d add the 4.10 gears.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Ford 6.2 Liter (with 4.3 ratio) handles our AF1150 camper very nicely. I expect the Dodget 6.4 setup would do nicely as well.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:
A 4.10 gear truck will tow/haul “easier” than a 3 something geared truck all else being equal.

You never know till you try particular combo.
I drove 18% grade in the forest where good road allows for >30 mph. My truck did it on 4th gear with 3.55 differential... empty obviously as my worry with TC would be holding camper on the bed.

Bedlam
I think you will be happy with a gasser until the TC and trailer/towed vehicle total weight exceeds 10k lbs. It will still do the job, but will run at higher rpm's and shift more frequently.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
That will be an Absolutley fine, dare I say ideal truck to haul a big TC and also tow light/moderate if that's in the plans.
Personally I think you're thinking right, looking at tradesman for the cost savings, especially if resale is part of the equation. If it is, a Laramie-longhorn type dually with a gasser will have bad resale due to the lack of market for a huge truck with a small engine.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
A 4.10 gear truck will tow/haul “easier” than a 3 something geared truck all else being equal.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
From what I see on the market, any new dually can carry any TC even Host Mammoth.
So the question remaining is gas v/s diesel or 3.5 v/s 4.1 differential.
New generation engines are beast and my 2017 Powerstroke with 3.55 differential hauls 5, 6 or even 10,000 lb on all freeway grades on overdrive.
Meaning I wish I had ❤️ differential for empty driving and then use transmission lower gears for heavy towing.
No experience with modern gas engines, but I think it will be similar rate.
DPF and DEF, who clicked in last years are still scary to uneducated buyers as the first years had baby teeth, but last year improved reliability, while scanners manufacturers flood the market with scanners who can monitor soot % and DPF regeneration status.
Just like with 6l Powerstrokes, the poor heat exchangers cost several engines blow ups till scanners come to the market and allow drivers to monitor engine status.

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
92k miles on my 6.4 SRW hauling a 2,400# Lance 815. Have the 3.73 gears and it does a great job. Usually don't have to use tow/haul so have 6th gear.
Occasionally I've hauled ~4,500 car hauler behind it and do use tow/haul then which locks out 6th gear and it still does pretty good.

Looking at upgrading and next time I will order the 4.10s as with the 3.73s I have to run a few mph more than I would like to get the rpm a bit higher. Think my mpg would be a hair better as the slower speed and less boggin of the engine would make up for the lower gears. I would definitely go with 4.10s if we go heavy enough to require a DRW.

It's no diesel as I had a 2004 5.9 exact same configuration before, but I have never regretted my decision to go with the 6.4.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

specta
Explorer
Explorer
I don't own one either but with the new gas engine and trans combos I wouldn't even consider a new diesel. Partially due for my dislike for DEF.

I think there are a lot of folks that are going to be buying gas instead of diesel.

I read in the truck section of this forum that a few people picked up new 2020 F-350s with the 7.3L for around $44K. I think they were base XL packages.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

restlessways
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can't offer any insight in terms of the 6.4 because I don't own one, but my only concern with a Ram 3500 dually with the gas engine would be resale value. There is likely a very, very small market for such a truck, and I'd think about that before I bought it. If you think you might not have it a long time, I'd get the diesel just so you can re-sell it if you want.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“my last 3 trucks have been Ram and I’m happy with them.“

Haven’t you already decided on a RAM?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad