cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

44260 30 Amp Surge Protector by Surge Guard

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
In the market for a surge guard protector for a trip coming up soon and wanted to ask for some opinions on the Surge Guard brand. Going to hit some campgrounds on the coast and some in other areas with older campgrounds and don't want to take the chance of toasting the electric system on the trailer. Don't want to necessarily install one in the camper. Looking at the 44260 Surge Guard Brand.
Thanks in advance,
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK
7 REPLIES 7

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
That is better than nothing but it would not be my first choice...
That one monitors the plug, Open ground, swapped hot/neutral that kind of thing but 90 volts it ignores (and at 240 it may go off like a firecracker and then all your spike supression is history)

The one in the link below monitors volts and shuts down if too high or low. It also reports Amps (but will not shut down based on over current. just reports it)

Plug into 240 volts and it alerts you AND protects you
Open ground it alerts you and shuts you down (Mine is the 50 amp hard wired version and did just that a few weeks back. Park finally fixed it)
Open neutral (50 amp only) same (on a 30 amp that will show up as over/under voltage)

Power blink (IE: a 2 second power outage very hard on Air Conditioners) it shuts you off for just shy of 3 minutes (Protects A/C) .

Way way way way better than the one in the subject line

OH and there is a blue tooth remote for the portable and a plug in remote for the hard wired (Which has no display by the way.. The display is the remote)

I have the hard wired.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 44260 blurb says:

โ€ขSurge protection status LED
โ€ขTests for and indicates: โ€ขOpen ground
โ€ขOpen neutral
โ€ขCorrect polarity
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Don't bother with surge only. I always check voltage and polarity under load before I plug in the RV.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer

Be aware that is just a surge protector only. It protects form very high voltage spikes only. It is not an EMS which protects from miss wired shore power, Lost neutral, High and Low voltage. Low voltage is the most run into problem in a campground. Surge protecting is not much of a problem.

Surge protector + $75-$100. EMS = $250 - $300.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
Flute Man,
I will check it out and get back to you.
Thanks,
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Progressive Industries PT โ€“ 50 C and has been on numerous pedestals throughout the country for the last 15 years and it has never been stolen. It had better specs and better protection than the surge guard 15 years ago.
I can help you understand all of the specifications if you would call me. If you are going to buy one I would get a 50 amp unit and I would buy the best one on the market This is no place to go cheap.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is linked just for the product info, not for that seller in particular

https://rvpower.southwire.com/products/surge-protection/30a-entry-level-portable-surge-protector-mod...

I have a similar one from years ago, and it still works. The key is to get a Surge Guard that has GFCI (some don't ISTR) which this (and mine) has besides the surge protection feature.

There are rival brands that do it all too. Watch out for using some versions of these things with a portable generator with "floating neutral". You might need an adapter in that case. Not an issue with mine, though.

I got nervous leaving mine out on the pedestal in case it got stolen--they are fairly expensive--, so I did a drastic wiring modification to the shore cord to get the Surge Guard inside the rig.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.