cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slide topper for full wall slide

a64armt
Explorer
Explorer
So the pre purchase inspection / survey results were positive with no significant issues, so we picked up a 2014 Lifestyle LS36FW. I was disappointed that the RV doesn’t have slide toppers. But after some thought, I now ponder if a slide topper is possible on a full wall slide. A quick search shows most COTS toppers stop at 16’. Perhaps a custom special order. I know several high end motor homes have long or even full wall slides.

Does anyone here with a full wall slide have a slide topper?
Vincent
Orlando, FL
2008 Ford F250 CC KR 6.4 Diesel - Air Lift 5000 Ultimate w/wireless air, Bilstein 4600 HD’s, Hellwig BigWig Sway bars, Pullrite Super Rails, Hensley BD3
2014 Lifestyle RV LS36FW
13 REPLIES 13

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
Have the Cameo with full wall slide and you don't need them, the rubber seal along the top is like a windshield wiper and sweeps off water and debris when you bring the slide in, other units have that 3" flange that catches things so need a topper or go up and sweep.
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I have had toppers on my last 4 5er's and loved them until I moved to the ocean Now we hate them anything over 35mph winds and they make a heck of a racket and yes mine are as tight as they can get with zero sag sometimes we have to close the bedroom slide to get any sleep when the winds get above 35-40 and yes we have tried beach balls under them but they just fly out and gone forever
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

Jlsr
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations on the new rig ! We also have the same make/model and love it. They are well built high quality rigs; full wall slide makes it very roomy. Agree with all that pcm says, we don't have toppers either and never really felt the need for them.

We have been doing some redecorating in ours to brighten up the interior. Plan to keep it for the foreseeable future !
2015 Lifestyle Luxury RV LS36FW

Jlsr
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations on the new rig ! We also have the same make/model and love it. They are well built high quality rigs; full wall slide makes it very roomy. Agree with all that pcm says, we don't have toppers either and never really felt the need for them.

We have been doing some redecorating in ours to brighten up the interior. Plan to keep it for the foreseeable future !
2015 Lifestyle Luxury RV LS36FW

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I hear a lot of people mention water pooling on them, or Flapping in the wind, i'd say if you have those problems, your topper probably needs a tension adjustment,while ours are nowhere near as long as you're contemplating, we've never had either of those problems.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a full wall slide with topper on our 32 ft motorhome. Works quite well.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
We have them on our toyhauler. The one for the long slide is 21 feet. Wouldn't have a trailer without them.

We don't have any that long but also in the " won't have a RV without them " group. No more getting on ladder to blow off debris. We also have camped when the winds were gusting over 35mph and no problems.

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same rig. Never felt the need for slide toppers on the LS. The top lack of a flange across the top and the seal will allow water and debris to fall off upon retracting the slide.
Congrats on the rig. We love ours. They are quality, well built units.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super_Dave wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
We have them on our toyhauler. The one for the long slide is 21 feet. Wouldn't have a trailer without them.

Please elaborate. I originally thought that I should have them but haven't seen any negative effects of not having them.
The obvious thing is they keep pine needles, acorns, leaves, small twigs and branches off the top of the slide so the top of the slide doesn't need to be swept or blown clean.

They also keep water outside if you have to bring the slides in when it's raining. We have had to pack up in light rain, and it was nice to leave all that water outside. One of the things I hadn't considered was how much heat they keep from building up on the slide-out roof.

I've not noticed any noise from them flapping in the wind, but my hearing isn't the best either. Peggy hasn't complained and she has excellent hearing.

Some people are concerned about the water pooling on the topper, but to me that's no big deal. It will either evaporate or it will flow off when the slide in brought in. No biggie.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
There are some detractors out there and maybe they aren't a good idea if you camp where it's often windy.

For our particular use they are fantastic to have.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:

Please elaborate. I originally thought that I should have them but haven't seen any negative effects of not having them.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
We have them on all our slides: '18 Big Country 3560SS. Love 'em!
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"