cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommended 16 inch LT tires for TT

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm getting rid of our 15 inch Marathons on our TT and moving to 16in probably LT225/75R16 with new rims. I have people recommend 16 inch Michelin Defenders but those are well over $200 each. I see someone used GR Commercial T/A with good results but someone else suggested asking for ideas. Please don't restart the LT vs ST fight.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
12 REPLIES 12

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I only told you about my Michelins as that is what I have been using... By the time I made the decision to move to LTs, I had more ST failures than I care to remember. I wanted a solution immeadiatly. So I went straight for the best.

Unlike what some have stated, 16" LT tires are available in many levels of good, better, best. Any of them will be an upgrade for you.
I would probably shoot for one with a highway/rib tread style, that fits your wallet... Though as I pointed out, there is a demand for used Michelins with a lot of tread.
Once past he intial outlay the yearly cost isn't that bad.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the XPS ribs. They are so heavy I can hardly lift one to put on our rear tire holder. Requires 80 psi. Should last a long time.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
I'm getting rid of our 15 inch Marathons on our TT and moving to 16in probably LT225/75R16 with new rims. I have people recommend 16 inch Michelin Defenders but those are well over $200 each. I see someone used GR Commercial T/A with good results but someone else suggested asking for ideas. Please don't restart the LT vs ST fight.

I'll repost the OP question.
Pay attention to the last part where he asked

"" Please don't restart the LT vs ST fight.""
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
CALandLIN wrote:
agesilaus wrote:

You know the ST225/75R15 LRE provides more load capacity than the LT225/75R16 LRE by about 200# per tire. I don't know why you just don't pick a brand and go up to the LRE 15" tires that probably won't cause you to have to change wheels.

The ST225/75R15 designated size can also be found with a LRF which is a steel cased tire. However, it would need wheels that would support the 95 PSI required for full load capacity (3195#) from the LRF.

Calvin..... He asked everyone not to go there. His decision has been made. Just because you don't agree... It is not your money.

He gave his opinion just like I did based on his comment about the $200 price for a tire, not to mention lower weight capacity. It's a vs comment, it's a suggestion with a point of safety to go along with it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
To make it easier on you and still have good solid tires, keep the 15" and get a set of Carlisle HD's. They are a good tire and have a great reputation here among us. LT's are a good option but as your finding out a good set of LT's are expensive, not to mention the need to buy 4-16" rims.
I had the Carlisle HD's and never had an issue. And they have an 81mph speed rating, so there is plenty of cushion. Carlilse did not skimp on theses tires!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
CALandLIN wrote:
agesilaus wrote:

You know the ST225/75R15 LRE provides more load capacity than the LT225/75R16 LRE by about 200# per tire. I don't know why you just don't pick a brand and go up to the LRE 15" tires that probably won't cause you to have to change wheels.

The ST225/75R15 designated size can also be found with a LRF which is a steel cased tire. However, it would need wheels that would support the 95 PSI required for full load capacity (3195#) from the LRF.

Calvin..... He asked everyone not to go there. His decision has been made. Just because you don't agree... It is not your money.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Do you want the best? Michelin XPS RIBS.
A steel cased tire suitable for retreading.
I have been running them since 2006 with no issues.
They are not cheap. Due to my location, I replace them at 5 years. I sell them on Craigs list for 300.00 a set. They sell fast, with the first person buying them every time. That helps defray the yearly cost.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The old BFG Commercial T/A were replaced several years ago with their upgraded Commercial T/A 2.

Other 16" LT E along with jayco's suggestions that their respective mfg has recommended for trailer use are;

Cooper Discoverer HT-3
Goodyear Wrangler HT
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:

We did this upgrade on a Jayco 285RLS in 2009. Bought 5 Commercial T/As in 235/85/R16. In 2011 we traded for the Mountaineer, had the tires removed and remounted on it. The spare failed at this time, had never been on the ground. Dealer made it up. In 2013 one of the remaining original tires started to fail. At that time I went with the Bridgestone R250, they ran without issue until last year. When we replaced the BFG's we found the the 1st replacement tire was subject to recall and it was replaced again, and we are using it for a spare, it has never been on the ground. We are now running G637 235/85/R16 Sailuns. Also had 1 215/85/R16 BFG fail do to tread separation on the 05 truck, replaced all 6 with the Bridgestone R500, they were on the truck when it was replaced with the 2018.
Michelin XPS Ribs or Bridgestone R238 all steel tires would be best, but not cheap. Commercial T/As, Bridgestone R500, Sailun Terramax HLT, or other non steel tire should give you years of good service.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™ve had very good service from Bridgestone R250โ€™s. They are a tiny bit taller than trailer balloons.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Had a set of commercial T/As on a conversion van. Good tire, they wore like iron.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP