cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dish TV

tbirdt
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, my wife and I are newbee RV'ers I was wondering what type of Dish Satellite to buy ? We have a Coachmen Atlas 5th wheel .
Thank you. tbirdt
17 REPLIES 17

tbirdt
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you I'm starting to think thats the best way to go....

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have it at home and it's only $35 a month for the basic plus $10 for locals paid monthly. Turn on and off as needed, mines on year round. I use a Wally & Dish tailgater that can be placed any where it can see a south sky. On a couple occasions I have had to place it on the roof when blocked by other campers.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
A lot depends on where you park but for me there is enough OVER THE AIR TV that paying for something I get free makes no sense.. I do admit I like the "Vintage" programming (Watching Adam-12 as I type) and with the advent of Digital Broadcast there are a lot of Vintage "Tier 2" stations (4-2 here in the upstate of South Carolina for example) So I get a lot of vintage TV

I have two DVR's that chat with each other and share files. I can do all the things that the expensive subscription services claim you must subscribe to do. Fast forward, Rewind, Pause, start in one room finish in another or even go back and forth, Download to portable (This laptop) for remote viewing.

25.00/year for an electronic tv guide.

But I did have to set it up.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
rexmitchell wrote:
smarty wrote:
another element of your decision is if you want the equipment bolted to your roof or if you want it portable

we opted for the portable version

We did too. Is way more versatile and gets used for more then one function.

Interesting comment. What other functions does your satellite TV antenna handle?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
smarty wrote:
another element of your decision is if you want the equipment bolted to your roof or if you want it portable

We did too. Is way more versatile and gets used for more then one function.

smarty
Explorer
Explorer

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
Streaming is a problem no signal no TV.I keep my Directv dish I know I can use it everywhere I don't depend of telephone signal.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
tbirdt wrote:
Thank you , I have been a Dish customer for 29 years, and your right pay as I use it for my 5th wheel sounds great. Tony

that's what we do. We pay for the months we use it then place it on hold for up to 6 months.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are already a DISH customer you likely have a Hopper receiver and 1 or more Joey's. If you want to move those to your RV when you travel then you will not be able to use the Pathway X2 or any other dome style antenna. To use the Hopper in your RV you will need the exact same kind of antenna you have on your home. These are available as fully automatic foldable antenna which are roof mounted (Winegard Trav'ler is most popular) or a the home style antenna mounted on a tripod which you assemble and manually point at each new location. This option is MUCH less expensive but takes more time and effort to setup.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

tbirdt
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you , I have been a Dish customer for 29 years, and your right pay as I use it for my 5th wheel sounds great. Tony

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
I doubt you can afford an actual satellite, but I would second the recommendation for the Winegard Pathway X2 antenna and a Dish For My RV (Outdoor) account. If you're not a full-timer, you can deactivate and reactivate the account when you're not using the RV. We have the Pathway X2, a Wally receiver and an outdoor account and the setup works very well for us. You can even put a hard drive on the Wally and use it as a single-tuner DVR.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
I have a dish tailgater but have dish service at home. If you already have dish service it costs 6 or 7$/month with no contract, no brainer if you already have the service. We use this in conjunction with WI-FI from our phones to the smart tv to stream Netflix, etc.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Winegard Trav'ler with Dish on our FW and really enjoy having it.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I agree. If you are a new RVer delay the satellite TV decision for a while.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad