cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AF 1140 Dry Weight

Riley01
Explorer
Explorer
I found two different dry weights for this camper. I found 4,060 lbs. on the Trailer Camper Magazine site and 3,465 lbs. on the AF site. Both sites mention adding the mandatory 595 lb. option package to the dry weight.

I'm wondering if maybe TC Mag had already added the option package to their dry weight.Does anyone know which to be correct? Am I missing something?

TC Mag.

Arctic Fox

Thanks,
Riley
2019 Ram 3500 CC/8' bed/DRW/4WD/factory air leveling
CTD HO/Aisin/4:10/max tow package
31 REPLIES 31

computermonkey
Explorer
Explorer
av8rds wrote:
My buddy on the AF owners group on FB says his 2019 1140 is 6000lbs loaded for travel.

Our 2019 is also 6000 lbs loaded.
New
2013 RAM Crew Cab, 3500 4x4
2019 Arctic Fox 1140 wet bath
Old
2016 Eagle Cap 960
2004 Jayco Talon ZX
1998 GMC Suburban with a Cummins 6BT conversion.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I know it's a chore to travel for a purchase (maybe...for me it is due to time constraints, otherwise a road trip is fun and easy), but seems you're honed in on the few available campers in your area.
If you were here, there are literally hundreds of new TCs at various lots within 3 hours of here and hundreds more used for sale.

Weigh the cost/time/availability to really do your due diligence.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Riley01
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Riley01 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^Nevwr hauled big things in a pickup, eh?
Ragged edge?
You saw the pic on the same truck as yours but 20 years older, right?
I can assure you it was not on the ragged edge and your truck is vastly stronger in every way (except the engine is just as stout in the 2nd gen) than the 2nd gen.

But they make lots of smaller campers than that, so whatever you're comfortable with is the right one.

Thanks, this has been tougher than picking out a toy hauler. The more I look at the AF 1140 the less I like it.

Rick

Cause it's too heavy or due to the features?

The features more than anything else. I've found a few others I like a little better. I found a 2019 Lance 1062 I liked but it has its own problems so I'm going to pass.

Edit: Actually I'm thinking I'm going to take a pass on the Lance campers altogether. I'm not too impressed with the quality.

Rick

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
This is why Iโ€™m always telling everyone the so-called โ€œratingsโ€ are not gospel. Theyโ€™re marketing hype, numbers not calculated by the engineering dept.
You have to look at the actual parts.

Once again burningman nailed it..If everyone went by the stickers and glove box rating,we would be limited to pop up campers..I have showed newer Dodge DRW with as little as 2400# payload by there listed numbers and we all know that is not right..

Go directly to the axle or whatever manufacturer for the actual rating of said axle..Huge differences in most cases..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Riley01 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Ragged edge?
I can assure you it was not on the ragged edge and your truck is vastly stronger in every way (except the engine is just as stout in the 2nd gen) than the 2nd gen.

But they make lots of smaller campers than that, so whatever you're comfortable with is the right one.

Thanks, this has been tougher than picking out a toy hauler. The more I look at the AF 1140 the less I like it.

Rick

Cause it's too heavy or due to the features?

Some folks kind of need to admit that driving, towing, mechanical things, just aren't their thing.
Something that is perfectly safe for one person would be a guaranteed catastrophe for someone else. Good to know your own limits for sure, but (not you) the day after day "claims" on this site about what is "safe" and what isn't.....with great personal conviction by some, get's tiresome.
More importantly, it spreads mis-information to all those that are asking honest questions. And the mis-information has, guaranteed, cost alot of people alot of money.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
burningman wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Ragged edge?

Actually the AAM rear axle under a new Ram 3500 is rated at 10,120 pounds by AAM, and the Dana 80 under that 2nd gen Dodge is rated at 11,000 by Dana.

Most on here believe new trucks are heavier duty, thatโ€™s not necessarily so. They just put bigger numbers on the glovebox.
That 2nd gen 3500 is as stout as any pickup. Thatโ€™s the same rear axle Ford used to use in the F450.

This is why Iโ€™m always telling everyone the so-called โ€œratingsโ€ are not gospel. Theyโ€™re marketing hype, numbers not calculated by the engineering dept.

Yeah, I know the 2nd Gen springs and the D80 are every bit as heavy as a new truck, but it is necessarily so.
Not what the defenders of their old iron want to hear, but sorry, it's the truth. Not to say the older trucks aren't capable or that some components are just as strong, but seriously, frame, brakes, steering components, power, transmissions, driveshaft, etc, all stronger in a new truck.

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
av8rds wrote:
My buddy on the AF owners group on FB says his 2019 1140 is 6000lbs loaded for travel.

Yes, that sounds like a good number.

I loaded my Palomino for a 4 month trip to Alaska than went to the CAT scales for my weight. I immediately came home and removed 800# of stuff that I thought I might need, but got along just fine without it.

As it was, I still scaled out at 5300# of 'cargo' for the trip, 13,800 gross weight.

Lakeside

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Ragged edge?

Actually the AAM rear axle under a new Ram 3500 is rated at 10,120 pounds by AAM, and the Dana 80 under that 2nd gen Dodge is rated at 11,000 by Dana.

Most on here believe new trucks are heavier duty, thatโ€™s not necessarily so. They just put bigger numbers on the glovebox.
That 2nd gen 3500 is as stout as any pickup. Thatโ€™s the same rear axle Ford used to use in the F450.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 diesel with our old AF 1150. No issues at all and that was loaded for multi month use over rough roads. Truck was bone stock in first picture. Later added a sway bar and rancho adjustable shocks. Never felt like I was on a ragged edge. This truck is a beast.

Our new camper weighs in about 800 pounds more. We have about 30k now on the truck with either that AF or the Host on the back.

2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

computermonkey
Explorer
Explorer
Not saying you should or should not take a look at the 1140. When I showed my wife the 1140 on the internet she hated it. When we went and saw one in person we bought it after looking at several others. Our campers before, was a Jayco Talon toy hauler, Eagle Cap 960.
I do not like to shop but campers is one thing I would say take your time and shop/look around and compare.
New
2013 RAM Crew Cab, 3500 4x4
2019 Arctic Fox 1140 wet bath
Old
2016 Eagle Cap 960
2004 Jayco Talon ZX
1998 GMC Suburban with a Cummins 6BT conversion.

Riley01
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Ragged edge?

Rick

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ragged edge?

Riley01
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies and advice. I'm going to do some more looking. I don't want to be on the ragged edge.

Rick

Bedlam
Remember that these larger campers also have larger tanks. Filling up 60 gallons of water is around 500 lbs that just ate away your payload. My triple slide camper is typically loaded around 6k lbs and I easily have 1k lbs loaded in my utility boxes on the truck (which you do not have).

My AF 811 was typically loaded around 4k lbs, but was 2.5' shorter than the 1140. You may want to look at the 990 or an older 992 which would save you some weight. Host also makes some smaller dual slide models that may give you more room with less weight.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD