Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: AF 1140 Dry Weight
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> AF 1140 Dry Weight

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
jimd1050

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/20 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

av8rds wrote:

My buddy on the AF owners group on FB says his 2019 1140 is 6000lbs loaded for travel.

That's me - CAT Scale Tickets gave me 15,600 loaded and 9520 with the camper off, loaded for camping with a full tank of fresh water! That's 6080! My 2019 F-450 dooes handle it like it isn't even there, however!

Regards,

Jim D
Plainville, MA

Riley01

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/20 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow 5400-6080 lbs? That's a lot of weight. On top of that I need to figure 125 +/- for my small enclosed MC trailer. I thought with my dually it wouldn't be a problem but my payload is listed at 5200 lbs.

I bought the truck originally thinking I was going to pull a 5ver toy hauler and have since changed my mind. I never would have thought this wasn't enough truck for a bigger TC.

2019 Ram 3500 CC/LB DRW 4WD air ride
CTD HO Aisin
4WD 4:10 5200 lbs. Payload

Thanks,
Rick

* This post was last edited 02/23/20 08:23am by Riley01 *   View edit history

2019 Ram 3500 CC/8' bed/DRW/4WD/factory air leveling
CTD HO/Aisin/4:10/max tow package

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/20 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coming from Alaska, I scaled my old Fleetwood at 6500 lb, when dry it was 4300 lb.
You can't imagine how couple boxes of Alaskan beer and collection of rocks can add to total weight. [emoticon]
My F350 handles that just fine, but I observe putting the heaviest stuff in truck cabin.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/20 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Riley01 wrote:

I found two different dry weights for this camper. I found 4,060 lbs. on the Trailer Camper Magazine site and 3,465 lbs. on the AF site. Both sites mention adding the mandatory 595 lb. option package to the dry weight.

I'm wondering if maybe TC Mag had already added the option package to their dry weight.Does anyone know which to be correct? Am I missing something?

TC Mag.

Arctic Fox

Thanks,
Riley

If you do some research,you will find TC magazine weights are pretty darn close to actual weights,some with the option,others not...

By asking here your getting different weights because everyone camps and packs differently..If your pack'in chains/generator/iron skillets and a bunch of extra's,your going to be heavier by alot,if you pack just the basics,your going to be much lighter and we all pack differently..

TC mag is pretty spot on on there weights..Example AF-990..TC mag list it as 4791 wet..many here say they are 4800# ready to camp with the AF-990..Options and what you pack will make a small difference in most cases..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/20 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A new dually will handle it fine, except the weight cops will say otherwise.
And yes it will be well over 5klbs ready to camp.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Riley01

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/20 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like I better start looking for something a little lighter. Based on what I've read it doesn't look like there's any way I will be under 6K. I really liked this camper.

These weights must be why I see so many of last years bigger campers still on dealers lots. And of course the sales clown will tell you with a dually you can carry anything out there no problem.

Thanks,
Rick

2019 Ram 3500 CC/LB DRW 4WD air ride
CTD HO Aisin
4WD 4:10 5200 lbs. Payload

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/20 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And you literally have a truck that will haul that camper with ease, in absolute comfort.
And no you won’t be over 6klbs guaranteed unless you want to be (but the truck would still be fine with it).
You read these posts. Rock collections?? Really? And obviously enough rocks either in the camper or their heads to add significantly to the rolling weight of their rig!
Whether actual or metaphorical rock collections, I’ve packed enough stuff into our truck/camper for a family of 4 to live comfortably for a month on the road and boondocking and couldn’t possibly come up with the weight some are carrying.
And I’m talking generator, enough “beer” for us and several others if the situation called for. Fishing gear, tools, bottle jack, bbq, extra 50gal of water, separate camping gear to get the kids out of the camper, and a wife who brings a full suitcase for a weekend trip.

Don’t let some of these stories on rvnet scare you. There’s one in every crowd and more than a few here, lol.
I did get my payload up over 5k I’m sure on one trip, but we were moving to AK and camping our way up there and brought a bunch of stuff that we needed until the moving company showed up which was almost a month out. That included a trailer with mower and household goods, liquids/flammables that couldn’t be put on the ship, pets, etc.
Also on a 2007 Ram 2500..... and the sway bar I ordered didn’t show up before we left!
Could of used that!

Fisher Bill

Tigard

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/20 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a 2000 AC 1150, loaded it was 4200#'s so YRMV

2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/20 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember that these larger campers also have larger tanks. Filling up 60 gallons of water is around 500 lbs that just ate away your payload. My triple slide camper is typically loaded around 6k lbs and I easily have 1k lbs loaded in my utility boxes on the truck (which you do not have).

My AF 811 was typically loaded around 4k lbs, but was 2.5' shorter than the 1140. You may want to look at the 990 or an older 992 which would save you some weight. Host also makes some smaller dual slide models that may give you more room with less weight.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Riley01

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/20 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I'm going to do some more looking. I don't want to be on the ragged edge.

Rick

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> AF 1140 Dry Weight
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.