cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 IKE raw and unedited

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
The TFL guys just posted their raw and unedited version of all 3 trucks doing their IKE runs.

VIDEO

Ford seems to run higher temps for engine, oil, and trans. It also sounded like the cooling fan either ran a lot more, or is just louder by design compared to the other two.

It certainly performs well though.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV
197 REPLIES 197

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
IdaD wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
To say a trans failed because someone did not use TH is simply a farce. Locked is Locked in TH or not. EB will be almost useless without TH still nothing to do with trans failure.

Someone please correct me, I think my 15 once plugged into a trailer the TH is automatically ON.

My exhaust brake will stay on when there's a trailer plugged in, but T/H cycles off. This is bafflingly stupid to me as both should stay on by default when there's a trailer attached.

Thanks, I could not remember since I have had mine unplugged for a while.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
To say a trans failed because someone did not use TH is simply a farce. Locked is Locked in TH or not. EB will be almost useless without TH still nothing to do with trans failure.

Someone please correct me, I think my 15 once plugged into a trailer the TH is automatically ON.

This could happen depending on the condition of the overdrive clutches. T/H does two things, increase max line pressure threshold and causes the trans to shift later. Both of these are done to help the trans clutches last longer. If T/H is off and the valve body is not injecting enough line pressure to keep the overdrive clutches together and it shifts into overdrive at a really low speed, then you are asking for a slippage or some kind of clutch wear. It is better for the trans to shift at higher rpms above 1,600 when towing and for the line pressure as high as possible to make a firm shift with as little clutch slippage or wear as possible.

One issue that the 68RFE has been plagued with is a weak valve body that cannot hold more than 170 psi of line pressure because the valve body plate is very flimsy and will start flexing at higher pressure causing pressure to bleed through. Couple this with very flimsy overdrive clutches and you have a recipe for disaster if not tuned right by an after market tuner.

Also, the 2019+ 68RFE is not the exactly the same as the 2007.5-2018 68RFE. There are extra valves that control torque converter lockup and reverse that allow the pressure to be ramped up during engagement for a smoother transition. The older trucks were all tied to the main valve for a rougher TC locker up and reverse because it did not have the ability to ramp up pressure during engagement. It had to use whatever pressure the main valve was pumping out at the time since it did not have its own valve.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FISH you are so fill of BarbraStreisand.

These 68rfe issues you are claiming are a result of people adding tuners just like the head gaskets you like to mention.

Not hardly... But yes a tuner will cause it to fail sooner than later.

That depends on the power level you have it at and whether or not it has trans tuning as well. Before my brother had his 2012 F350, he had a 2010 Ram 2500 Tradesman that he bought new. He tuned it within 10k miles with trans tuning that improved shifting over stock for longevity. He always left it on level one which is only about 40 hp over stock instead of the 175 hp of level 4. He wanted something with more bells and whistles so he sold to his best friend to buy the 2012 F350 Lariat. The friend he sold it to is a guide down in the Copano Bay/Rockport area and tows his 23 ft Haynie down there every weekend(@ 160 miles one way). He also leaves it level one and has never touched it. Last time we spoke with him he had over 325k miles on the truck that has been tuned since about 10k and the only thing he has had it in the shop for was the water pump recall.

My truck has been tuned since 20k living with 150+ hp tunes until I swapped out the trans for custom built one at 80k because I got a good deal on it and someone wanted my stock trans to put in a 2010 truck they were trading in.

As far as the head gasket issue Cummins was mentioning, that was happening with stock trucks as well when the 6.7L first came out. It was even happening in medium duty trucks for about a year until Cummins came out with a new fuel map tune to reprogram them with. It was mainly caused by timing spikes in conjunction with the quick spooling VGT(adding too much fuel and too much boost at the wrong time) would cause a lot of cylinder pressure which all of the big three had issues with when they first went to a VG turbo. After this update, head gasket issues became rare. The problem with the tuners is that they were using the base pre-update files for their programming and head gasket failures were still happening in these trucks until the programmers used the new update as their base file.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

My exhaust brake will stay on when there's a trailer plugged in, but T/H cycles off. This is bafflingly stupid to me as both should stay on by default when there's a trailer attached.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

These 68rfe issues you are claiming are a result of people adding tuners just like the head gaskets you like to mention.

Man you are getting soft in your old age!

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
MikeRP wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
MikeRP wrote:
Yeah, I watched the power stroke help video on various Ford engines. He really likes the Ford truck itself from the 6.0L years and once he does the bulletproof job, he says that truck is one of the best out there. It probably is up there on reliability with no emissions controls. So he’s either right or a good salesman.

But again just anecdotally, I saw two videos where 2019 Fords with low mileage had the death wobble. One was a factory out of alignment job at like 20000 miles but the other was worn parts at 40000 miles.

Also I saw a 2019 Ram w the normal Cummins where the tranny had failed due to the driver not using tow haul and not locking out the higher gears. I know mine has to be in fifth while towing not sure about the 8 speed. The good think is Ram still stood behind the repair.

I know nothing about the upper comments but I call BS on the last paragraph.

AISIN or 68rfe?

Ahhh well it was the 68rfe and I was as surprised as you. To be fair, they didn’t know the full diagnosis and they were pulling it into the shop when I saw the truck.

Every once in a while someone thinks I’m full of bull malarkey and I might be 50%. Haha. But that story is a true one, unusual to be sure.

Unless they changed things, tow/haul does not lock out the higher gears in the 68RFE. Mine tows in 6th with tow/haul all the time.

On my 2015 with Aisin and 3.42 gears, in tow haul it will not shift to 6th until just over 65 MPH. 4th to 5th gear shift is at just over 55 MPH. Without tow haul on it shifts much sooner even when towing. HOWEVER I do not believe lack of being in TH caused a 68 RFE failure. Dealership service departments are noted to tell tail stories from time to time.

In my 2019 with Aisin and 3.73 gears it does the same and will not shift to 6th gear until 65 MPH but once in 6th gear will hold it until speed drops below 60 MPH.

Rob
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bionic Man wrote:
MikeRP wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
MikeRP wrote:
Yeah, I watched the power stroke help video on various Ford engines. He really likes the Ford truck itself from the 6.0L years and once he does the bulletproof job, he says that truck is one of the best out there. It probably is up there on reliability with no emissions controls. So he’s either right or a good salesman.

But again just anecdotally, I saw two videos where 2019 Fords with low mileage had the death wobble. One was a factory out of alignment job at like 20000 miles but the other was worn parts at 40000 miles.

Also I saw a 2019 Ram w the normal Cummins where the tranny had failed due to the driver not using tow haul and not locking out the higher gears. I know mine has to be in fifth while towing not sure about the 8 speed. The good think is Ram still stood behind the repair.

AISIN or 68rfe?

Ahhh well it was the 68rfe and I was as surprised as you. To be fair, they didn’t know the full diagnosis and they were pulling it into the shop when I saw the truck.

Every once in a while someone thinks I’m full of bull malarkey and I might be 50%. Haha. But that story is a true one, unusual to be sure.

Unless they changed things, tow/haul does not lock out the higher gears in the 68RFE. Mine tows in 6th with tow/haul all the time.

On my 2015 with Aisin and 3.42 gears, in tow haul it will not shift to 6th until just over 65 MPH. 4th to 5th gear shift is at just over 55 MPH. Without tow haul on it shifts much sooner even when towing. HOWEVER I do not believe lack of being in TH caused a 68 RFE failure. Dealership service departments are noted to tell tail stories from time to time.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
MikeRP wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
MikeRP wrote:

AISIN or 68rfe?

The 68 needs to go the way of the Dodo bird. Lot's of problems with them.

Good lord. Do you EVER get tired of throwing mud (or worse) at RAM??? First you claim the 6.0 is more reliable than early 6.7s. Now its the 68 that has "lots of problems". Did you hear that one from your "cousin" as well? :R

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. I don't know that you have ever been right about something RAM/FCA related.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
MikeRP wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
MikeRP wrote:

AISIN or 68rfe?

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
MikeRP wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
MikeRP wrote:

AISIN or 68rfe?

The 68 needs to go the way of the Dodo bird. Lot's of problems with them.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer
These folks would never lie to me, this has been a while so I’m guessing they didn’t know at the time about a problem w the 68rfe. So now that you say that, it explains why Ram stood behind the tranny.

Peace