Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 10 update

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Heads up

I just finished the latest win10 update.
It took over an hour. I have a very fast connection and my PC is an i7 so it wasn't lack of power or speed.

It looked like it froze a few times but I guess it was just slow.

All in all it worked well.
It usually takes a few minutes.
6 REPLIES 6

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I've never experienced any problems with any W10 updates, although I've read of others who have.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sometimes they basically install a new version of W10. Those take a long time.

I have every update for windows and office installed. One time it broke but generally works just fine.

BTW, my W10 looks like W7 just using Windows configuration - no 3rd party software required.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Lucky for me, there's a very active Linux group in St Louis. I've been on their message server for years but haven't made enough effort to attend meetings.

I use "Classic Shell" to avoid the BS Windows Desktop and find Office 2003 does everything I need to do AND and I can find the command I need without hunting for it. Regretfully, I installed Office 2016 and can't run the older version of Outlook. The 2003 version of Word, Excel and PowerPoint work great even with the "x" extension files after installing the compatibility update.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
DFord wrote:
They did the same thing for my folders in Outlook making it hard for me to find anything. I was able to fix that after several searches for help.

They seem to like shooting themselves in the foot. I'm more inclined than ever to delve into Linux.

It would be great if MS would split Windows into two versions. One for those of us that like the classic desktop and hate the ribbon bar and those that like constant change. The more they change, the longer it takes me to accomplish the reason I sat down at the computer.
I have been using Windows since its inception, but I long ago quit using any MS applications. I seldom have problems from Windows updates. When Windows went off the rails with their user interface, I started using StartIsBack (it's dirt cheap) so my up to date Windows version still has a Win-7 like interface.

I have Linux on one desktop PC, and I would use it on my other 2 PCs if it weren't for a critical few applications that do not have Linux versions. I created an image of my laptop Windows HD and put Linux Mint Cinnamon on it. It is faster and solid but I switch back and forth on my laptop. The Mint Cinnamon Linux distribution has a very Windows like user interface. The thing that is pretty amazing to me is that the Linux underlying commands and structure are foreign to Windows users, but with an online search you can always find the exact commands necessary to do an under the covers task and when you cut and paste them into the Linux command window, they just work even though you have no idea about the command content/structure.

Bottom line, Linux is now a perfectly good alternative to Windows for many users. I set my neighbor's older laptop up with Linux Mint Cinnamon and he is quite happy with it, he says it is faster and he doesn't have update problems anymore. Checking email and visiting websites pretty much describe his needs. I've tried other Windows-like Linux distributions but this one in my opinion is the best.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
DFord wrote:
That's pretty fast for these updates. You'll find your DOWNLOADS directory is now "Grouped By" Dates instead of sorted alphabetically. Microsoft says "you will like it" because every time you change the group by to none. they reset it back to group by date for you.

They did the same thing for my folders in Outlook making it hard for me to find anything. I was able to fix that after several searches for help.

They seem to like shooting themselves in the foot. I'm more inclined than ever to delve into Linux.

It would be great if MS would split Windows into two versions. One for those of us that like the classic desktop and hate the ribbon bar and those that like constant change. The more they change, the longer it takes me to accomplish the reason I sat down at the computer.

You CAN fix what MS broke with "O&O Shutup 10" which not only allows you reduce MS telemetry but also stop the forced updates (which allows you to wait a few weeks or even years for the dust to settle with broken updates).

O&O shutup 10 Website

To get back your MOST OF classic windows views try "Classic Shell", while development has been discontinued can still work with Win 10.

CLASSICSHELL.NET

There is a group which has restarted the development of the former Classic Shell and it does have a slightly new name that is escaping me right now.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
That's pretty fast for these updates. You'll find your DOWNLOADS directory is now "Grouped By" Dates instead of sorted alphabetically. Microsoft says "you will like it" because every time you change the group by to none. they reset it back to group by date for you.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System