cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5.4 E350 performance and reliability?

Fish_mojo
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at Minnie Winnie 22R next week. Specifications show this has 5.4 Ford Triton powertrain. I’m concerned about power on hills. Is this a dog? I also plan to tow a 3500 pound boat. What kind of reliability and fuel mileage does this produce?
19 REPLIES 19

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congratulations, looks like a nice coach. My only suggestion is to consider adding a Scan Gauge. Google them or PM me for details.

:C

Fish_mojo
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, V10. I like the Winnebago for the E450/V10 in a 24' unit; fiberglass roof, side view cameras in mirrors, true-level tank monitoring, heated holding tanks, stabilizing jacks, inverter,etc.

I couldn't find those type of features in other small size class C's.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
I assume the one you chose has the V10 engine. In general, you can't go wrong with a Winnebago brand class C built on a Ford E-Series or Chevy chassis, especially in the shorter lengths. There are so many worse choices out there with regards to general quality of construction of the house itself.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
I think, . . . . overall, you will be happy with your decision!

Chum lee

Fish_mojo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Ron. We just made a purchase agreement today on.a nice Minnie Winnie 22m E450. Going to pick up Friday.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Fish mojo wrote:
Thanks. I'm going to do a hard pass on any rig with 5.4. I'd really like to see the new 7.3 Ford V-8 gasser, which has some significant suspension upgrades. Not sure when we will be seeing it.
I agree in that I would pass on a 5.4L unless the rig was exceptionally small. A standard class-C WB-22R is not small enough for my liking, especially if towing.

As far as the new push-rod 7.3 engine is concerned. If history has value, the first few years of most new engines will not be as reliable as the engine it is replacing. Consider the V10 spark plug ejection issue that was finally put to rest in 2004. It's been an excellent engine for the past 16 years.

But to contradict myself, I would rather have the 1st year V10, than the last year of the V8 it replaced. Still, if buying in the next few years, I would consider the V10 over the new V8, only because the V10 with all it's supporting peripherals has had an excellent reliability record for so many years.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
As Gump would say
fuel mileage is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.....

Fish_mojo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I'm going to do a hard pass on any rig with 5.4. I'd really like to see the new 7.3 Ford V-8 gasser, which has some significant suspension upgrades. Not sure when we will be seeing it.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Currently we have 59K miles on our 2012 E-350 24' C with the V-10 and love it. We typically run near or at our GVWR of 11,500# and I often tow a 10' cargo trailer with either my Indian mc or our Polaris Rzr.. My previous rig was a 5,600# 22' TT that I towed with my 2006 F-150 SCAB with the 5.4L V-8... BTDT.

The 5.4 was a great motor that delivered decent mileage {about 12 with a Leer shell on the back of the truck and a wind deflector at the rear of the shell} towing the 5,600# trailer but it was as much of a load was I would ever consider. We ran this combo for nearly 5 years without any issues traveling all over the west {lots of serious mountains} and while I always knew it was back there the V-8 got the job done nicely.

I would not want to have the V-8 on an E-350 Class C and adding in a 3,500# boat to tow is really pushing the envelope. As noted the V-8 will probably have the 35 or 40 gallon fuel tank which will be a serious PITA on trips of any length especially on anything but flat roads hopefully with not much wind to deal with. Good luck!

:C

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
One question I would ask is......What size is the fuel tank?

Some 5.4L's are equipped with a 35 gallon fuel tank. That would be a deal breaker for me. I need a 55 gallon tank to properly support the generator along with driving to a remote location. I don't like worrying about fuel if I can avoid it by having a 55 gallon fuel tank.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Fish mojo wrote:
Looking at Minnie Winnie 22R next week. Specifications show this has 5.4 Ford Triton powertrain. I’m concerned about power on hills. Is this a dog? I also plan to tow a 3500 pound boat. What kind of reliability and fuel mileage does this produce?

Under some towing conditions the V10 (6.8L) might be better on fuel than the 5.4 since it doesn't have to work as hard. I'd expect about 7 to 10 mpg depending mostly on you and how you drive. On hills, I'd be more concerned about the transmission/brakes. At max GVWR, IMO, all gas motorhomes are dogs, but, that is the nature of the beast. IMO, nothing beats cubic inches for long term reliability. Generally, brake size/capacity ALWAYS goes up with larger engine capacity.

IMO, the E350 is pushing the limits of the chassis but it will work.

Chum lee

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you go this route and plan to tow 3500 I would want to keep an eye on the tranny temp. Knowing what other owners have said about this engine , it will be working, getting the job done but working.
I'm not sure what transmission is paired to this engine. I would install a tranny temp gauge if it doesn't have one. I'm not sure if it has an internal or external tranny cooler or not but time will tell monitoring those temps if you find that necessary or not.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^What gasser or any vehcile gets good mileage whenyou hook an anchor to it and mat the skinny pedal.
Fuel mileage while towing conversations are pointless
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

path1
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of reliability and fuel mileage does this produce?

reliability...great.
fuel mileage...not known for good mileage. Same as V-10 IMO.

Ours leaves driveway at 12,000 pounds. We use ours all over Pac NW, which has a lot of mountain grades. But for sure not a ball of fire but has never failed us. Depending on the year model (same as any motor) has its problems, but once understood no problems. Oil of 5w20 surprised me at first, thought the 5w20 was a typo at first. The oil change place I use... used a no name brand oil filter. I now bring my own filter. I use motorcraft. Make sure you use an oil filter with "silicone valve" built in. Prevents oil from leaking down. Which means when starting engine you are not doing a "cold start up" when you start it.

Lots of info on the Triton motor available, good dependable motors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Modular_engine

About 110,000 miles now. Fouled injector at 85,000 miles, not sure if bad gas or what? I now carry spare fuel filter and the little disconnect tool set ($15.00) to get filter off and takes about 5 min to change and a spare injector ($70.00) about 30 min to swop out. Also carry spare cop (coil over plug) but never needed one yet. Ford says some fluids are good till 100,000 miles, but I would do fluids sooner. Of course at 12,000 pounds keep up on brake pads. Front brakes real easy, once you do them once. Rear brakes, a pain being there are duels. I have the older 4r100 trans, newer ones better IMO
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"