cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best gadget buy in a long long long time

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Wood cutting can be a dangerous past time...and I like a fire.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/
27 REPLIES 27

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Range Maggot Bob wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:
OP here..and I too have a chainsaw..a Makita electric for the yard, that is seldom used.

This wee B&D sawzall was bought used for $50 off Amazon.ca and even tho I am using a non-wood blade, it does the job asked of it, just fine. I don't need to spend the 15 bux just to have a rip blade.

As for having a chainsaw while out in the rv? I think people that do that have a wish for self-harm. There are few tools more dangerous than a chainsaw.I invite your perusal.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/aem/2015/459697/

Does that mean you're afraid of one? Or don't know how to use one? :h I carry a cordless chain saw for fire wood cutting. I have no desire to harm myself... :B

Gary

A great question. I have had some actual training is use of said equipment. You? I do not carry the needed safety gear in my RV to adequately protect myself. Do you? Chaps, proper boots, gloves, hard hat. So, with that having been said...no one sets out to harm themselves with a chainsaw, so far as I know, but armed with the knowledge of what can and does happen...anyone who shrugs and says that's okay, I know what I am doing..falls into the category of 'can't fix stupid'.

Gary

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
OP here..and I too have a chainsaw..a Makita electric for the yard, that is seldom used.

This wee B&D sawzall was bought used for $50 off Amazon.ca and even tho I am using a non-wood blade, it does the job asked of it, just fine. I don't need to spend the 15 bux just to have a rip blade.

As for having a chainsaw while out in the rv? I think people that do that have a wish for self-harm. There are few tools more dangerous than a chainsaw.I invite your perusal.

Does that mean you're afraid of one? Or don't know how to use one? :h I carry a cordless chain saw for fire wood cutting. I have no desire to harm myself... :B

Gary

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:

Gary

Compare the death statics for driving a vehicle on the highway to the static for chainsaw deaths. Vehicles get those who survive to the campground, chainsaws provide the wood for the survivor's fire once they arrive.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer

Gary

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Battery operated tools have come a LONG way as I'm finding myself tinker with more and more.

I work part time on my brothers sawmill so have a plethora of firewood so just throw some on truck but those tools mentioned are ideal for campgrounds and keeping the neighbors happy.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
looks like a meal blade get a 10" wood blade.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a Saws All(reciprocating saw) for home use, it works fine but can't compete with a chainsaw for cutting logs. I take an electric chain saw with me when camping. More than once I had to clear a road where a large tree had fallen across it especially early in the season. It works fast at the campsite to cut firewood. I am always looking for ways to exercise my genset without just running it under load for an hr each month and find using this chain saw helps to eliminate this exercise.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I've got the Ryobi 40 volt chain saw and it cuts like a beast especially when I use the 4 amp battery for my Ryobi lawn mower. The only problem is I can't stow it with the chain oil in it or it will leak out. Other than that it makes for a great addition to my other 40 volt Ryobi yard tools.

I also have the 18 volt reciprocating saw with a good assortment of blades including 6 inch and 12 inch printing blades.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Gave myself one of these kits as a Christmas gift, The Recip saw is great and balances well in hand with the centered handle.
And the case fits behind the truck seat for going with us.
They were $249 last Dec, and I'm sure will be again.
Kobalt kit

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

It is legal to move bark on wood (Firewood) WITHIN a quarteen zone Just not across zone lines..

True. However, this doesn't stop private campgrounds from banning outside wood, and many do. And in Michigan, the DNR is poised to require all wood brought to state park campgrounds to be USDA approved as heat treated for pests.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I have something similar and use it often. I also use it around the farm at home so it does double duty.

I've though about those electric chainsaws but, I'm afraid that I wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost. I don't burn wood at home so I have to purchase it anyway.(Especially since it's illegal to move firewood) When I do that it already comes cut, split, and kiln dried.

It is legal to move bark on wood (Firewood) WITHIN a quarteen zone Just not across zone lines.. For example I had an infected tree taken down in Detroit. Davison and Detroit (Michigan in both cases) are in the sdame quaranteen zone. No problem at all. Bugs burned well.

Small (10-12 inch) electric chain saws only run around 30-40 bucks. if corded.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Reciprocating saw even with an aggressive blade is much slower than a chain saw. My first chainsaw 40 some years ago was electric. It was a plug in the wall type but I cut many cords of wood with it before I added a gas model. I would by truck loads of 12-16' slab wood dumped by the shop and go add it.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have something similar and use it often. I also use it around the farm at home so it does double duty.

I've though about those electric chainsaws but, I'm afraid that I wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost. I don't burn wood at home so I have to purchase it anyway.(Especially since it's illegal to move firewood) When I do that it already comes cut, split, and kiln dried.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
To the original poster.

YES. Good item. Mine is a different make/model but.... Yes
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times