Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ramco Mirror - unable to remove

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Good day all,

Need to remove my drivers side Ramco mirror in order to repair the mounting.

I have removed the bolt on the bottom under the cover and the mirror wont budge.

I contacted Ramco and they said soak it with WD 40 and hit it with a rubber hammer in several places below the first knuckle. I have been doing this twice a day for 3 days.

Still no movement

Any other ideas?
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us
12 REPLIES 12

Westenthal
Explorer
Explorer
Mine just fell off. New aluminum casting and $3K for repairing side where mirror was banging against coach before I could get stopped and all is well again. Didn’t pull any wires loose, just scratched the heck out of drivers side.
Westenthal

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Ramco have them too. They even state such in their on line troubleshooting. Doug

Removal of Arm from Mirror Head
1. Loosen the set screws located on the arm that holds the mirror head in place. (3/16” Allen
wrench)
2. Pull arm off the mirror head. Two aluminum halves that go around the ball stem will be exposed
and become loose. Place those to the side.
3. If there is a plug on the end of the wire harness, an AMP deplugging tool will be needed to
remove that plug. (Be sure to note sequence of colors) Otherwise, remove wire harness from
arm.

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
I have NEVER had a mirror gaul(freeze) to the mount. I will bet the OP has NOT loosened the allen wrench adjustment screws on the side of the pivot. THOSE will not allow the mirror to release when the bolt is removed. Doug

Sorry Doug, not a Velvac mirror, so there isn’t any. The OP thanks you for your fine advice? And what’s with the snarky Dennis?

I always say, this is the last post on this forum... well now it is.
Thanks all for the helpful advice, and thanks again for reiterating the reason this forum is dying and people are leaving in droves

Best of luck to you all and safe travels,
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Those adjustment screws are hidden behind plugs so they're often overlooked....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I have NEVER had a mirror gaul(freeze) to the mount. I will bet the OP has NOT loosened the allen wrench adjustment screws on the side of the pivot. THOSE will not allow the mirror to release when the bolt is removed. Doug

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
A product called Freeze Off super cools the bolt. Follow this with heat and cool again. I have gotten parts loose using this method. Another option.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
PB Blaster is the best thing I've ever used to to break things loose other than heat. You could try heating it up as much as you dare and soaking it with PB Blaster right away. That seems to draw the penetrant in better. Backing it up with one larger hammer while hitting the other side might help.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
What I do is loosen the large bolt under the mirror. Then I put a nut inside a socket with an extender on it. The nut inside forces the socket to sit on the bolt head not the mirror. Then I smack the extender with a hammer, and for me, the mirror pops up. Then I just remove the bolt, and lift out the mirror and unplug the electrical connections.

Ed

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:

I would get something other then WD-40. Need something like Liquid Wrench. It needs to break aluminum oxidation.

Thank you very much. Simple enough to try !
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I am guessing these are the instructions from Remco!

Removal of Arm from Mounting Bracket

1. Locate cap with Ramco logo on bottom of mount covering (shroud) and remove using a small flat-head screwdriver. This will expose the bolt that attaches the arm to the mount. 2. Using a 9/16” socket, remove the bolt. 3. Once the bolt is removed, lift the arm out of the mounting bracket. If the arm does not come out easily, use a rubber mallet and tap on the bottom of the arm to loosen it. 4. Once the arm has been removed, disconnect the wire harness. If there is not a quick disconnect, the wire will have to be cut. Be sure to allow enough slack in the wire so when reconnecting there will be enough wire to work with. (Allow about 4-6” out of mounting bracket and 3-4” out of arm.

I would get something other then WD-40. Need something like Liquid Wrench. It needs to break aluminum oxidation.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Only sissies use rubber hammers.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Get a bigger hammer....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG