cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black tank release cable

Tinbangertom
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all my black tank cable releases easy at times but then there are other times it won't release its in a really bad spot but was wondering if it need lubrication? thx all
:h Tom
:Z Laura
2020 Momentum 29G
2015 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
12 REPLIES 12

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Was sick and tired of my black and grey tank cable valves. Went to basic "T" handle valves now for two years and they still work like new.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
Our cables are several feet long. Never understood how lubricant would travel all the way down the cable

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
apparently the cable and valve is accessible as you describe it.

Why not go on amazon, get a new assy install and be done with it?

The OP says, "It's in a really bad spot".

So far all the posts deal with lubrication of the cable.

Maybe it will help - maybe not......The cable/s sometimes have a bit of slack behind the pull knob (from repeated use), -or- the cable has developed a kink due to sloppy routing (and clamps) by the mfgr.

Often it may be MUCH simpler and easier to check the cable!!
Disconnect the cable at the valve - and see if the valve will move freely.

If it does = cable is the problem.
If it does *not* move easily....unfortunately, it's probably time to replace the valve assembly...:(

Not expensive - but it can be a real "PITA" if it's in a "bad spot".
No need to ask how I know...:W

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I had to replace my black valve a few years ago cuz it wouldn't close. I removed the old one and everything was completely clean but something around the stem, inside the bonnet, jammed that sucker. It opened fine but was a bear to close. Some guys put a grease zerk on the bonnet. The cable was very free but I'm guessing there's an o-ring or some sort of seal in the bonnet that wore and rolled and jammed the stem. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
apparently the cable and valve is accessible as you describe it.

Why not go on amazon, get a new assy install and be done with it?

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
Get metal pull rods and keep the valve itself lubed. Often if you do not use the black tank flush you will get TP or other stuff pushed into the valve seat by the knife blade and that may be what is causing the stiffness at times.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ndrorder wrote:
Cable lube'rs for motorcycles and bicycles work well. Once lubed, it will become a routine maintenance item as the lube attracts dust.

If resistance comes and goes, more a case of gaskets sticking on the guillotine valve blade or cable being bound at certain times like slide open or closed.

There are "dry" lubes that won't attract dust.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
Cable lube'rs for motorcycles and bicycles work well. Once lubed, it will become a routine maintenance item as the lube attracts dust.

If resistance comes and goes, more a case of gaskets sticking on the guillotine valve blade or cable being bound at certain times like slide open or closed.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
The cable should have the length stenciled on the side - e.g. 96

Tinbangertom
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming you guys are talking about the blast gate and steel cable, the cable itself looks to be about 15' long and coated not very accessable!
:h Tom
:Z Laura
2020 Momentum 29G
2015 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
I keep a can of WD-40 in basement right next to DC and spray all 2 cables often.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, lubricant!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad