cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dish Network Play Maker Sat Antenna Problems

gmg
Explorer
Explorer
We have used an older generation Winegard Carryout Dish antenna for 5 years and it has worked very well. The downside though is that it requires 2 cables. One for the satellite receiver and the other for power. I thought it would be good To have one that receives its power through the receiver coax cable so that I only would need to deal with one cable. So we purchased a Play Maker unit. The problem is when changing channels it looses signal and requires resetting and new signal acquiring. i spent about 2 hours on the phone with Dish last night trying to sort it out with no luck. Their conclusion was that there is something wrong with the wiring in the trailer. What could be the problem? The previous Carryout Dish worked just fine with the same trailer wiring. By the way the receiver is connected to a dedicated satellite coax connection and not the cable connection.
2013 Ford F-250 Powerstroke Crewcab; Pullrite Superglide Hitch; 05 Everest 294L 5th Wheel.
8 REPLIES 8

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Just a guess but I would bet there is a splitter installed in that satellite cable run inside the trailer. That would allow data flow from the antenna to the receiver but would not allow data flow from the receiver back to the antenna for a channel change to another satellite. Is there two satellite receiver connection locations in the trailer?

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also you are now running power through the coax. ( which of course was your goal) While it may have worked just passing the video on the old setup the addition of Power has obviously caused a problem. Check all connections , like the one behind the sat โ€œin Jackโ€œ you plugging into on the side of the rv no shorts etc and insure itโ€™s a direct run to the tuner box from there. Too long a cable 50 ft total including the interior run is std but Iโ€™ve seen it work with longer , bad connections, poor quality coax all possible.
Bill

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
Does your trailer have a dedicated satellite jack on the outside or are you running it through the cable coax? If you arenโ€™t on a dedicated satellite coax this could be the problem. Well, the problem for me was on the inside where the antenna/cable meet behind the outlet and merge into one coax to connect the TV. I had to disconnect the antenna wire and directly wire the cable inlet to the coax. That solved my problem. The splitter can cause issues with satellite signal.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The very fact that it works when wired directly and does not when wired through the coach should be all the information you need. No one can be sure what is or what is not causing the issue and there are so many variations of wiring and wiring types even RV to RV by the same manufacturer.
I would suggest finding a new route into the coach where you can run high quality coax from point to point.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

gmg
Explorer
Explorer
I guess then in order for the system to work, the RV would have to be re-wired with this 3 plus Gigahertz coax.
2013 Ford F-250 Powerstroke Crewcab; Pullrite Superglide Hitch; 05 Everest 294L 5th Wheel.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
The latest coax for satellite antennas is rated at 3+Ghz. The signal from the receiver back to the dish telling the antenna to switch from 110-119-129 uses a sideband that uses higher frequencies.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

gmg
Explorer
Explorer
I did try connecting direct and it did work but why would the trailer wiring work on the Carryout dish but not on the Play Maker? Could it have something to do with the Play Maker requiring power through the coax?

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Try running a coax directly from the Playmaker to the receiver to see if the problem goes away.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate