cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Used Arctic Fox

Freeway_Flyer_0
Explorer
Explorer
My daughter has found a really nice used Arctic Fox. It is about 10 yrs old. She has asked me to look at it. Anything in particular I should look for?
2007 Dodge QC 4x4 3500 SRW 6.7 CTD
2014 Stealth BP TH
2017 Harley Ultra Limited
15 REPLIES 15

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Freeway Flyer 05 wrote:
It is a 25RS, I can't find the year, but I think it was about 10 or 12 yrs old.

It must be a 25R. There never was a model called a 25RS. Northwood doesn't use two letters in their model numbers, except on some of their toy haulers.

Also, Do you have a link to an online ad?

2002 25R is listed at 5720 dry weight, 640 hitch weight
2008 is 5780/600

My parents currently own a 2014 25R. This is their second 25R.
They tow it with a 2006 2500HD Duramax.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Freeway_Flyer_0
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Just like any other brand, look for evidence of past leaks in roof and soft spots in the floors and avoid if either are found (even if they claim it was "fixed"). Other than that, they were built better back then and I think she'll be happy with it.

Thanks.
2014 Stealth BP TH

Freeway_Flyer_0
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Freeway Flyer 05 wrote:
Thanks, I will make sure to run it across the scale, I have been surprised before with how heavy a trailer can be.

Which model Arctic Fox is it?

I have a lot of old AF brochures and can look at the weight, if the brochures I have list that model.

Roof is the most important thing to look at, and look at it closely.

Figure on it needing new tires and the bearings repacked, unless the owner has put new tires on it within the last 2 -3 years and has receipts showing a bearing re-pack.

It is a 25RS, I can't find the year, but I think it was about 10 or 12 yrs old.

However, we have a hitch in the giddy-up. My daughters employment is seriously affected by the local school shutdown, as in contract employee, no work, no pay. Hopefully, it will still be available when she is back in business. Thanks for checking.
2014 Stealth BP TH

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Just like any other brand, look for evidence of past leaks in roof and soft spots in the floors and avoid if either are found (even if they claim it was "fixed"). Other than that, they were built better back then and I think she'll be happy with it.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Freeway Flyer 05 wrote:
Thanks, I will make sure to run it across the scale, I have been surprised before with how heavy a trailer can be.

Which model Arctic Fox is it?

I have a lot of old AF brochures and can look at the weight, if the brochures I have list that model.

Roof is the most important thing to look at, and look at it closely.

Figure on it needing new tires and the bearings repacked, unless the owner has put new tires on it within the last 2 -3 years and has receipts showing a bearing re-pack.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Freeway_Flyer_0
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
The weight needs to be looked at carefully.
I had a Nash trailer that was stick and tin and I sold it only because it was really heavy.
check for water damage.

2014 Stealth BP TH

Freeway_Flyer_0
Explorer
Explorer
Westcoasting wrote:
trail-explorer wrote:
Freeway Flyer 05 wrote:
She sent me the VIN, I looked it up, well within the limits of her truck.

Where is this "VIN lookup" place that tells you an RV is "within the limits" of a given tow vehicle?

I've never heard of a website offering that kind of a database.

Probably the same website that says you don't need a wd hitch!!

Thanks, really appreciate your well reasoned input.
2014 Stealth BP TH

Freeway_Flyer_0
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
Freeway Flyer 05 wrote:

Where is this "VIN lookup" place that tells you an RV is "within the limits" of a given tow vehicle?

Not hard to find, just use that thing called Google, whatever VIN decoder you use basically gives you the exact specifications for that particular vehicle. The GVWR, the CGVWR, the axle GWR, the rear end ratio, the transmission and engine combination. Then head over to Trailer Life Tow Vehicle ratings, and look up the truck. I know the weight of the trailer, factor in the water, propane, and other misc. equipment, and I know that the combination will work or not. Sorry I didn't take the time to explain all that the first time, I've only been doing this trailer stuff for about 35 years or so.
2014 Stealth BP TH

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The weight needs to be looked at carefully.
I had a Nash trailer that was stick and tin and I sold it only because it was really heavy.
check for water damage.

Westcoasting
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
Freeway Flyer 05 wrote:

Probably the same website that says you don't need a wd hitch!!

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Freeway Flyer 05 wrote:

Bob

Freeway_Flyer_0
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Stealth BP TH

Freeway_Flyer_0
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

You might have a look at the underside if it's a 4 season and look at the underbelly. They don't put washers on the bolts that hold the underbelly up and they pull through the plastic. Not hard to put washers on it.

She sent me a bunch of pictures, I will take a second look, thanks, and I will also look at the underside of my TH, it is enclosed.
2014 Stealth BP TH

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Just look for the usual suspects such as signs of water intrusion, would look at the roof particularly the sealant on the seams for cracks or lack of maintenance. Would check the tires for date code and uneven wear. Would check all appliances including A/C and heater to function properly. Would look at the undercarriage for signs of excessive rust (some people camp of a winter and drive salt covered roads). Would check book value compared to asking price.

Like Turtles & peeps said they are heavy and does your daughter have a adequate tow vehicle.