cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do cargo carriers have legal rules on hauling stuff

thebrain
Explorer
Explorer
Transporting a dinghy vertically on cargo hitch.

I’m planning a few quickie trips to the Gulf/Lake ect. No trailer wanted for the ribbed (fiberglass hull) 8’dinghy weight 90LBs.

For my desired vehicle on these trips would be a chevy express high top conversion van which is to tall to realistically load and transport on the roof plus there’s no rack on high top conversions.

Curious if I could get away w/ a hitch cargo carrier w/ dinghy baicelly vertical to ground

Yes the taillights & rear windows would be blocked not worried about the view. I uselly have spare taillights I could attach to the dinghy.
So do cargo carriers have legal rules on hauling stuff?
6 REPLIES 6

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
So do cargo carriers have legal rules on hauling stuff?

This question came up on a Equestrian forum I look in on. These folks are worse that snobirds about hanging "stuff" off the back of their campers/LEQs/truck campers/etc.

I have a state troop hdqters about 5 miles from me so I dropped by for their input on DOT legal issues.

I was there during a shift change and got to ask a trooper who was state certified for size and weights. Much of their training is load securement which covers securing a 35000 lb excavator/heavy machinery down in size to....items on the back of rv trailers.
Anywayz he says DOT legal issues are any kind of load rating on the carrier and proper securement of those items.
He also said those bright colored bungee cords aren't considered proper securement. Ratchet straps for securing and tarp straps as secondary to keep things from flopping in the wind.

Drop by your local state troop with the rig loaded and see what they have to say about how you have it secured. Most I've delt with when I was hauling seemed glad to answer my securement questions and offer their input before I put the combo on the road.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Y-Guy
thebrain wrote:
is it possible to upload images from my PC here?

Yes, the easiest way is to use this link or you can upload to any site and paste the URL into the image button

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

thebrain
Explorer
Explorer
in my net search i'm surprised I didn't see a single dinghy on the cargo carriers I did see a few vertical kayacs on back of RVs.

here's my dinghy
http://www.abinflatables.com/boats/ventus-8-vl/
Overall length
8' 6" / 2,60m
Overall Beam
5' 6" / 1,68m

I never mearsured the last express conversion van it was around 9' because the main vessel is like 11.5' tall.

bumpy using a trailer would make the trip a none quickie. because every time I hook the big boats trailer up the lights don't work so I spend a couple hours straightening out the lights.plus if I choice to stay in a hotel in Florida they don't allow trailers.

as for the dinghy being vertical above the top of roof isn't that the same amount of wind resistance if the dinghy was on the roof?

on land I wish I had the none fiberglass ribbed hull like the boat in the bag.on water you need a solid floor.

is it possible to upload images from my PC here?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
get a small boat trailer or flat bed.
bumpy

Bedlam
You will not want the dingy catching air over the top of the roof or be wider than your van - You would be surprised at the wind force created at highway speeds. Think about how low you can hang a basket without scraping from a driveway pull out and add 8' to that - This will tell you if your van roof will be tall enough. Most cargo carriers are rated for 500 lbs, but you will need to check your receiver for the hitch weight rating. You will need to use to some type of wobble dampening device on the carrier and create some additional tie down points higher up the rear of the van. As long as your overall height is bellow 13.5', overall width is bellow 8.5', your signal/auxiliary rear lamps are clearly visible and you have left and right exterior mirrors, you are legal.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD