Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Driving through D.C.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Driving through D.C.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Carvhors

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/20 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We'll be pulling a 19' Coleman 17FQ through D.C. to drop off our daughters at a hotel where they'll be attending a wedding for a weekend. My wife and I will continue on out of D.C. for a few hours to camp for the weekend, before returning to pick them up and head back home to Ohio. We don't plan on any layover in D.C., just "stop, and get out/in...quickly!"

Have any of you pulled a camper through D.C., or am I just asking for trouble, and should I make alternative plans/routes?

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/20 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just don't, can't comment on alternate routes but most people camp outside DC and use metro to get in. Not applicable to your case but you really don't want to drive in there. We drove on the ring road w/o our RV to get to the Smithsonian Space Museum by the airport and it was a real lesson.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Up&DownDeCoast

Rockville, MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/20 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As with any large city there is lots of traffic and congestion. That said, tractor trailors, large trucks, and buses go through city streets all the time. As long as you are comfortable and confident you can drive your rig in traffic you should have no problem navigating through DC. You said you are doing a pickup/drop off and not expecting to park. Be sure to keep that in mind as it would be difficult if not impossible to find parking.

David and Wendy
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2008 VW Jetta
Demco KarKaddy SS Tow Dolly

Dave in TN

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/20 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The DC Metro system is reliable, affordable, generally safe and easy to navigate. Unless your daughters are younger than I'm assuming, I'd consider dropping them at the Greenbelt Metro station which is just off the beltway on the north side of the city and let them Metro in. Many hotels in the city are a quick walk from a Metro station. If not, Uber is an option.

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/20 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave in TN wrote:

The DC Metro system is reliable, affordable, generally safe and easy to navigate. Unless your daughters are younger than I'm assuming, I'd consider dropping them at the Greenbelt Metro station which is just off the beltway on the north side of the city and let them Metro in. Many hotels in the city are a quick walk from a Metro station. If not, Uber is an option.
Good Advice. Find a metro station near your route and use the kiss and ride lane to drop your daughters off. No parking required.

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/20 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Which hotel where. What day of week and time of day arrival and what day of week and time departure day. We lived and worked there for four years. Wife worked on Capitol Hill and I worked at American University. Straight through the city. Just be aware that you won't park and you won't stop very long no matter what day or time. Don't attempt it at any time near rush hour. Have a full tank of fuel. Good luck. We pulled a Scotty camper from American U several times to various camping spots. Don't really recall but most likely out Friday in late Sunday or early Monday. Don't know the age of daughters but I would go to Cherry Hill and put them on the metro there.

* This post was edited 02/24/20 06:20pm by bgum *

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/20 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know the age of daughters but I would go to Cherry Hill and put them on the metro there.

X2. I speak from experience. I'm a Boston driver but anything bigger than a standard car in DC is borderline suicidal!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/20 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't .

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and a grouchy, old, tiny dog

Busskipper

Grasonville,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/20 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Carvhors wrote:

We'll be pulling a 19' Coleman 17FQ through D.C. to drop off our daughters at a hotel where they'll be attending a wedding for a weekend. My wife and I will continue on out of D.C. for a few hours to camp for the weekend, before returning to pick them up and head back home to Ohio. We don't plan on any layover in D.C., just "stop, and get out/in...quickly!"

Have any of you pulled a camper through D.C., or am I just asking for trouble, and should I make alternative plans/routes?

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

First - it just depends on your comfort level - I have Driven My Coach and many others in DC - But I live here and it is really not an Issue.

Give us more info and Maybe we can be more specific - for just smarts and ease of driving I'd select the CG and leave the trailer before going into Town - then when you are ready to leave and are hooked up, to pick the girls up, it is not totally unfamiliar to you.

It's just a city with some tight streets ......so being slightly familiar will help.

Best of Luck,

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

janstey58

Glenwood, IA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/20 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interstates in DC are suicidal! And DC has the worst, rudest drivers I have ever encountered. Give yourself 5 miles distance to work into the lane you need, as it will take that long to have one driver let you change lanes. Awful!!

Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Driving through D.C.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.