Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installing a slide out room in an existing coach

meleavingsoon
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I recently acquired a very nice low mileage 2000 diesel pusher (45'er) with a single front room (kitchen) slide out room. I am interested in having a second slide out room (dining booth and sofa) installed in the opposing wall of the front room to create additional living space. I am looking for suggestions of a company who could do this .... hoping to hear from anyone who has had something like this done. I am in Arizona but have no problem traveling to a competent shop.

Thanks for any feedback.

Phil
2000 American Coach 45' Heritage
28 REPLIES 28

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Bill.Satellite wrote:
It is not true that HWH only installs factory slide outs.

Well, I just talked to HWH yesterday and they confirmed they only repair OEM slide outs and only design slide outs for OEM's. HWH IS designing a Motorhome(prevost type) for HWH ONLY, but will have the interior and exterior done by a outside outfitter. State your knowledge of HWH cutting holes in an RV and adding a room for a retail customer. Doug

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is not true that HWH only installs factory slide outs.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

meleavingsoon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys.... just researching so far.... haven't spent any $$ and haven't cut the hole yet.... if and when I do I will be sure to document it for others benefit.

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
A friend mentioned that a place in Gilbert has added slides but could not remember the place. May be a lead and not that far from you.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Fleet Man wrote:
Possibly HWH Corp. in Moscow, Iowa. I was there one time for warranty work and they were installing a slide out in the MH in the adjoining work stall.

HWH does not install slide rooms in RV's that did NOT have a slide room. HWH DOES engineer and design slide rooms for OEM's. They may have removed a defective slide room to repair it, but odds are the RV you saw was being engineered for a OEM. I was at HWH in 1996 when they were designing and installing the Slide Rooms for Newell Motor Coach. But, this was for Newell to build and install after HWH engineered it. HWH is a Hydraulic Manufacturer and not a repair shop for RV's other than HWH hydraulic system repair and Jack install. Doug

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
You might be able to recover a nice chunk of money if you record the whole thing and post it on youtube. That would generate plenty of views. Maybe one of those that speed the process up from cutting the whole to installing and working the slide.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have not yet called HWH, I will again suggest that you do. It's anything but cheap (maybe in the $50,000 range) but if it can be done they can do the job and also keep the RV safe to drive after cutting out the factory supports designed to keep you safe.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Meleavingsoon wrote"

"I'm not looking for just anybody to do it.... honestly that is the reason I want to talk to those who can show me a finished product. I have met several individuals who have installed their own slides in buses and some have been far superior to those coming out of production factories. But I can't seem to talk any of those individuals into letting me hire them"

That should tell you something! IMO, what they are telling you is they don't think you would be willing to pay what it actually costs AND have them make decent money at the same time. When they do their own work, they don't have to pay themselves AND they learn/realize how complicated the job is to get it right. When manufacturers install a slide, they have the previous benefit of 1,000's of installations. (experience) But hey, if you "gotta have it" go for it. I admire your determination. I hope you don't have to change your screen name from meleavingsoon to mewaitingaroundforawhile.

Chum lee

meleavingsoon
Explorer
Explorer
Branson N Tucson wrote:
Talking with friend,he mentioned a place does new slides in Gilbert Az. Could not remember the name of place. May be a lead.

I will ask around.... Gilbert is just around the corner....that would be great.

meleavingsoon
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
The slides in existing RV's are made by humans that have skills that most people can learn. They are not something magical but, like any project, they do require a plan before your should attempt to undertake such a project. That is why I suggested contacting a salvage yard and see if you can find a similar coach with the items needed to make it work. You may even be able to contact the manufacturer of your coach and get the plans on how your existing slide is constructed. Keep in mind that most manufacturers have an eye on the bottom line, which doesn't always translate to the best quality. If you get the plans to make a slide, you may find ways to improve the installation.
Any welding shop can do the welding that is needed and a lot of them have portable rigs to come to you to do the project.
Personally this does not sound like too big of a project, especially if you can get a set of plans to work from. From what I have seen, the slide is built independent of the RV on the production line and then is installed later. They also seem to be built on a raised platform so that they are basically in line with where they will be installed. Working this way, you can do a lot of work on it before you have to open up the wall on your coach. Have fun and don't start this project until you have enough information to finish it.

"don't start this project until you have enough information to finish it." .... biblical wisdom ๐Ÿ™‚

meleavingsoon
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
from what I remember reading it runs $1,000-$1,500 per foot of slide out

That's the figure I am hearing also

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
I always thought it would be cool if you could put a slide or 2 in an old front wheel drive GMC coach. I really like the looks of them and the compact size.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
Talking with friend,he mentioned a place does new slides in Gilbert Az. Could not remember the name of place. May be a lead.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The slides in existing RV's are made by humans that have skills that most people can learn. They are not something magical but, like any project, they do require a plan before your should attempt to undertake such a project. That is why I suggested contacting a salvage yard and see if you can find a similar coach with the items needed to make it work. You may even be able to contact the manufacturer of your coach and get the plans on how your existing slide is constructed. Keep in mind that most manufacturers have an eye on the bottom line, which doesn't always translate to the best quality. If you get the plans to make a slide, you may find ways to improve the installation.
Any welding shop can do the welding that is needed and a lot of them have portable rigs to come to you to do the project.
Personally this does not sound like too big of a project, especially if you can get a set of plans to work from. From what I have seen, the slide is built independent of the RV on the production line and then is installed later. They also seem to be built on a raised platform so that they are basically in line with where they will be installed. Working this way, you can do a lot of work on it before you have to open up the wall on your coach. Have fun and don't start this project until you have enough information to finish it.