Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Installing a slide out room in an existing coach
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Installing a slide out room in an existing coach

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/20 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thunder Mountain wrote:

Don't want to dis the OP, but why would you want to do a mod like this unless you have an unlimited budget not to mention patience. Slides engineered, factory built and installed can be problematic enough. All the systems that have to be modified and integrated has got to be a huge undertaking. I just can't see paying to do this unless you are starting with a Prevost or Marathon and have the previously unlimited budget. Wonder how long the mod would take? I would sure be asking for a 12 month warranty to boot.

Actually with a competent shop a custom installed slide will probably be better than a factory installed one.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/20 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw the one at Quartzsite too. We were vendors that year.
I’ll bet they ran that slide in and out two hundred times a day.

Out of LA I believe.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Two Jayhawks

Lenexa Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/20 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my years of RVing I have met 2-3 people that have had it done. Absolutely it can be done. I would have to really love the coach where that would make sense over selling & choosing one that already had 2 OEM slides.

Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 2014 Ford Edge
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

meleavingsoon

Casa Grande, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/20 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys!!....I totally get the hesitation and warnings...but I also agree with the other comments.

I'm not looking for just anybody to do it.... honestly that is the reason I want to talk to those who can show me a finished product. I have met several individuals who have installed their own slides in buses and some have been far superior to those coming out of production factories. But I can't seem to talk any of those individuals into letting me hire them [emoticon]

I don't have a million dollar coach now or endless resources... but it was one of the high end units of it's day and we do love it. I believe to find a low mileage 45' diesel pusher with more than one slide will cost me much more than I think this route will be (but time may prove me wrong). Plus to trade/sell and upgrade means more sales tax money just thrown down the drain.

I've done enough home remodels and been a cabinetmaker for last 43 years so I don't mind trying to do some of the interior work myself. But I am not a welder (got one but still don't know how to turn it on) or engineer and don't feel like it is something I want to consider doing on my own.

Granted I may find this project is like chasing the wind, but it never hurts to ask [emoticon] If I do indeed follow thru and do it I will be glad to share my experience with others...as both a warning not too, or a great way to improve the coach.

Please let me know if you come up with those names.... I'm going to keep looking and investigating the possibility until I come to the conclusion it is just another one of my stupid ideas [emoticon]

Still grateful for any help in finding someone [emoticon]

2000 American Coach 45' Heritage

mike brez

Unknown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/20 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

from what I remember reading it runs $1,000-$1,500 per foot of slide out

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/20 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The slides in existing RV's are made by humans that have skills that most people can learn. They are not something magical but, like any project, they do require a plan before your should attempt to undertake such a project. That is why I suggested contacting a salvage yard and see if you can find a similar coach with the items needed to make it work. You may even be able to contact the manufacturer of your coach and get the plans on how your existing slide is constructed. Keep in mind that most manufacturers have an eye on the bottom line, which doesn't always translate to the best quality. If you get the plans to make a slide, you may find ways to improve the installation.
Any welding shop can do the welding that is needed and a lot of them have portable rigs to come to you to do the project.
Personally this does not sound like too big of a project, especially if you can get a set of plans to work from. From what I have seen, the slide is built independent of the RV on the production line and then is installed later. They also seem to be built on a raised platform so that they are basically in line with where they will be installed. Working this way, you can do a lot of work on it before you have to open up the wall on your coach. Have fun and don't start this project until you have enough information to finish it.

* This post was edited 02/26/20 05:38am by rgatijnet1 *

Branson N Tucson

Tn

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/20 05:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Talking with friend,he mentioned a place does new slides in Gilbert Az. Could not remember the name of place. May be a lead.

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/20 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always thought it would be cool if you could put a slide or 2 in an old front wheel drive GMC coach. I really like the looks of them and the compact size.

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

meleavingsoon

Casa Grande, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/20 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike brez wrote:

from what I remember reading it runs $1,000-$1,500 per foot of slide out

That's the figure I am hearing also

meleavingsoon

Casa Grande, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/20 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

The slides in existing RV's are made by humans that have skills that most people can learn. They are not something magical but, like any project, they do require a plan before your should attempt to undertake such a project. That is why I suggested contacting a salvage yard and see if you can find a similar coach with the items needed to make it work. You may even be able to contact the manufacturer of your coach and get the plans on how your existing slide is constructed. Keep in mind that most manufacturers have an eye on the bottom line, which doesn't always translate to the best quality. If you get the plans to make a slide, you may find ways to improve the installation.
Any welding shop can do the welding that is needed and a lot of them have portable rigs to come to you to do the project.
Personally this does not sound like too big of a project, especially if you can get a set of plans to work from. From what I have seen, the slide is built independent of the RV on the production line and then is installed later. They also seem to be built on a raised platform so that they are basically in line with where they will be installed. Working this way, you can do a lot of work on it before you have to open up the wall on your coach. Have fun and don't start this project until you have enough information to finish it.

"don't start this project until you have enough information to finish it." .... biblical wisdom [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Installing a slide out room in an existing coach
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.