cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Small Travel Trailers

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
My son is looking for a relatively small travel trailer. He hopes to find one with tandem axles, yet that will depend on the total weight of such a trailer. He will be pulling the trailer with a Toyota Tundra which does have a V8 engine, but I don't know what the towing capacity is yet. He would like the smallest trailer that has the tandem axles. Can you suggest some trailer brands we might look at?
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
25 REPLIES 25

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations on the Rockwood, hope you have many good adventures ahead.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:
Deb and Ed M wrote:

And I was clearly delusional - there were 3 buyers wanting it, and it sold for over the asking price. And not to me ๐Ÿ˜ž Back to stalking travel trailers....

You are not the only one coviad buying it seems. Im seeing lots of rentals and first timers out and about. Take your time, if you can wait , i think a lot will be on the market next year.

I bought one! A 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S - very similar floorplan to the one I missed. When I called the dealer and asked if it was available, fully expecting a "no" answer, when he said "yes" I said "WHAAAT???" - then apologized....LOL! So now this nice dealer will have exactly ONE used TT on the lot - he admitted that it would be a great feeling in December, but a bit panic-struck for mid-July.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

eend
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:
Yea, lots of my Canadian freinds are not happy campers this year. With the boarder closed and campgeounds sparse they are camping at each others homes.

Id say lets lave the border closed for a bit, keep the virus south of the Great white North.
2019 VW Tiguan
2015 F150 ecoboost
2013 Arctic Fox 22G
1971 Boler 1300

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Yea, lots of my Canadian freinds are not happy campers this year. With the boarder closed and campgeounds sparse they are camping at each others homes.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
around us campers are only slightly inflated (a lot of campgrounds are not fully opperational) but holy cow, 30 year old rotten boats are going for more now than when they were new. wish i had about 10 to sell.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
Deb and Ed M wrote:
I'm really late coming to this thread - but assured to see the folks that are happy with their Freedom Express 192RBS trailers! I'm pretty sure I'll be buying one tomorrow night. Covid has chased me from my converted Transit van (no true bathroom, so we always used the campgrounds' facilities) and back into a fully self-contained RV.

And I was clearly delusional - there were 3 buyers wanting it, and it sold for over the asking price. And not to me ๐Ÿ˜ž Back to stalking travel trailers....

You are not the only one coviad buying it seems. Im seeing lots of rentals and first timers out and about. Take your time, if you can wait , i think a lot will be on the market next year.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
I'm really late coming to this thread - but assured to see the folks that are happy with their Freedom Express 192RBS trailers! I'm pretty sure I'll be buying one tomorrow night. Covid has chased me from my converted Transit van (no true bathroom, so we always used the campgrounds' facilities) and back into a fully self-contained RV.

Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
jfkmk wrote:

This is the trailer we have as well. Very comfortable and a great floor plan. We get lots of compliments on the rig, all from folks with larger (sometimes very much larger) trailers.

We have one as well. We are looking at a 5th wheel in 2-3 years. We started out looking at monster units, and then discovered a mucho smaller very well laid out unit. Kind of like the 192, a niche trailer.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
What features does he want?

Toilet
Shower
fridge
queen bed
fridge
oven
microwave
AC
etc

Figure out what features he wants and what he can't live without.

We have a Coachman 192RBS and it's a great couple camper with an open floor plan

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Nash 17k or 18FM
Bob

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:
Not to second guess why he wants tandem axles, but why does he want tandem on a small, light trailer?
Tandems do not turn or corner well, they tend to bend the axles as each wheel turns a different radius and fights the other axle for traction. Hard/impossible to manuver by hand also. 2 times as many wheels, brakes, bearings, tires.
Tandem does handle uneven surfaces well since no one tire dipping into a rut/hole will cause the trailer to dip. That's about it for benefit IMO

I would want tandems too. Better ride while towing with an extra wheel on the ground in case of blow outs or cooked bearings. All for a minimal price difference.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
my first camper was a 1991 prowler 19E. it was around 4000 lb and pulled with a grand cherokee. newere would be lighter. it had tandem axles.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
BC4277 wrote:
I'm towing a Coachman Freedom Express 192RBS with a 03 Tundra with a 4.7 liter motor. The TV has 200k miles. I have put over 35k miles on the TT, in the last 3 years without a problem.

We wanted a small TT with tandem axles and a small slide. The floorplan was very important to us along with a three burner stove, large frig, and two LPG tanks.

Bryan

X2 . Would be my choice, very usable floorplan.

This above mentioned floorplan allows this TT to be used with the slide 'IN' just in case you need to .
192RBS

This is the trailer we have as well. Very comfortable and a great floor plan. We get lots of compliments on the rig, all from folks with larger (sometimes very much larger) trailers.