Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Gooseneck or 5th wheel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Gooseneck or 5th wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/20 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

Jeff1953 wrote:

sayoung wrote:

Put one of the underbed rail with turn over gooseball so you have both. Another option is just a turnover ball gooseneck & a B& W Companion that slips into the gooseneck ball shaft.
I use a Curt turnover gooseneck with a Curt X-Rail that mounts in the hole and use a B& W Patriot .
Really depends on how heavy a 5er your planning on. If real heavy look at the Traiersaver Airride hitches but B&W will take some really heavy ones also.

As luck would have it, I was actually looking at the B&W underbed mount gooseneck. I want to get the hitch before I have the bed Line-Xed. Most of the 5ers we've looked at so far are in the 9-11K dry weight range.

I had my bed lined before installing my own Turnover Ball. NBD to drill through the lining with a 4" hole saw. Given that I'm in AZ, I didn't worry about painting or coating the exposed edges of the 5 holes used for the TO Ball. :-)

Lyle

Lyle is among the few that understand the mechanics of what happens with a goose neck hitch.

No way will I ever use a GN or GN adapter on a 5th wheel frame.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

justme

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/20 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

I wouldn't make a decision either way until you pick out the 5th wheel you are buying. Some 5th wheel frame manufacturers will void the warranty with the use of gooseneck adapters.

The reason for voiding the warranty is their frame is not strong enough. I would not buy a 5th wheel trailer from a manufacturer that voids the warranty for goose neck towing for obvious reason.

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/20 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

justme wrote:

schlep1967 wrote:

I wouldn't make a decision either way until you pick out the 5th wheel you are buying. Some 5th wheel frame manufacturers will void the warranty with the use of gooseneck adapters.

The reason for voiding the warranty is their frame is not strong enough. I would not buy a 5th wheel trailer from a manufacturer that voids the warranty for goose neck towing for obvious reason.

That's good to hear, but ... my reply was in response to the original posters question asking which hitch he should get. What trailer YOU would buy has no bearing on what trailer he may buy. But what trailer he does buy may have some effect on what hitch he needs to buy.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/20 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TXiceman wrote:

Lyle is among the few that understand the mechanics of what happens with a goose neck hitch.

No way will I ever use a GN or GN adapter on a 5th wheel frame.

Ken

Thanks, Ken. Personally, I don't think I'd use a GN adapter on an in-house Artic Fox frame...just to be safe. I have no clue on Northwood's stance on them, though.

Lyle

* This post was edited 02/27/20 09:33am by an administrator/moderator *

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 62 Year Member

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/20 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of the two basic adaptor designs, I may consider the Anderson type design......but, would “never” consider the old style, which essentially is a piece of pipe extending from the fifth wheel pin down to the ball in the truck bed.

The pipe type extension, acts as a lever, tremendously “multiplying” the torque the the trailer frame. If you study the differences in material strength, and geometry between a gooseneck type trailer and a fifth wheel trailer design......it should be obvious why you should not use the “pipe-type” adaptor! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

JTrac

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/20 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lippert approves the use of the Reese Goose Box with their frames and since most fifth wheels made today have frames by Lippert, probably works on most of them. The 20K Goose Box weighs 225 pounds so it is substantial. Gen-Y also makes one which uses a rubber torsion system instead of the air bag like the Goose Box. On another forum a fellow who has a New Horizons being built said NH was going to test the Gen-Y version on their fifth wheels but the hole patterns did not match up so it was being delayed. The beauty of those systems is there is no hitch to store, whether its lightweight or not. Just a 5 pound or so ball to remove.

A traditional style hitch, an Andersen type or Goose Box/Gen-Y all accomplish the same thing. My guess is failures are extremely rare. All that matters is if you like it and are comfortable with it.

JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR, 4562 payload capacity

Jeff1953

Winchester, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/20 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After looking at it and doing some research, I'm really leaning towards the Anderson Ultimate. If it's rated for 20K, that's more than I'll likely ever be towing and I like the fact that it's easy in/easy out. Any suggestions on bed rails? I've been considering the B&W RVK2500 custom installation kit for the Silverado. I like the fact that I don't have to drill into the frame like is necessary for the universal kits.

snowpeke

Nevada City California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/20 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No sure which one I have it's no biggie to take it off in two pieces. I am 68 years old and it take about 5 minutes to remove or install it

2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/20 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not going there again guys!)
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/20 02:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had both kinds of trailers for a few years and I finally bought a kingpin post for the g-neck trailer cuz I quickly got tired of changing back and forth and I wasn't about to put a g-neck adaptor on the fiver. I'm also 68 yo and I can still lift my B&W out, in one piece, and have a flat bed. Craig

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Gooseneck or 5th wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.