Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Graveside Boondocking?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Graveside Boondocking?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/20 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's the city ordanances that will jump up and bite you when trying to save a dime camping in the city limits...Never understood this city boondocking...but that's just me..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/20 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you like quiet neighbors?
Then this place works.

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/20 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find the safest places are the ones with lots of warning signs about big bears around. They're perfect spots uncrowded etc. Like to carry extra bear warning signs since they work so well.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/20 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had to look up Boondocking because the way it was, isn't that way anymore...

Boondocking is a term used by RVers to describe RVing without being connected to water, electric, or sewer. Because you're not connected to any services it's also called dry camping. Other terms you might see that all refer to boondocking are free camping and wild camping

So if your not hooked up to water/sewer and electricity..Your boondocking by the new RV terms?

So I guess by these new RV terms,I am a Wild Camper..Laffin

Graveside Boondocking just seems wrong..

K Mac

Lower Hudson Valley N.Y.

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/20 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I asked a local LEO after watching the first college football championship game in 2014, at a wild wings in W VA, for closest place to stay the night safely, and he said right where I was, or follow him to his station, Went to the station. I've asked and stayed in rural hospitals also.

RobG

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It depends so much on the area. Here in Phoenix, you can't camp ANYWHERE except at a campground or well outside of town on BLM land. There are ordinances prohibiting any and all kinds of overnight parking anywhere. Same thing up in Reno from what I've heard. Maybe it's to prevent Walmarts from turning into transient camps, I dunno, but it's annoying.

I suggest carrying a Ouiji Board if you're going to camp at a cemetery. That way if cops or anybody else asks why you're there, you can whip out the board (slowly, so you don't get shot) and tell them you plan to use it around midnight. [emoticon]

2019 Arctic Fox 992 Truck Camper
2006 Keystone Raptor 3814SS 5th Wheel Toyhauler (live in it fulltime)
2005 Dodge RAM 3500 Quad Cab Dually 4x4 SLT 6sp
A quad, a few motorcycles, and a dog.

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/20 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was transferred to San Francisco for a year and we would spend Sunday morning in the Colma cemetery reading the paper and having a picnic breakfast. Very peaceful and quiet. We'd walk around and read the tombstones. Weird but it was fun and interesting.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/20 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I must say that we always dry camp , Wal-Mart , big box stores , super markets , rest areas and yes several times in cemetery parking . In thirty five years of this I have only been asked to move once and that was so they could stripe the lot . Car lots , churches , restaurants , hospitals , police stations ,cattle auctions , If somebody does not like what you are doing they will tell ya to move.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/20 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Living in a place with public land everywhere I cannot even imagine sleeping in a parking lot or a cemetary.

trail-explorer

NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/20 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Joe Glidewell wrote:

I see many post about boondocking. Some in very public parking areas such as Wal-Mart parking lots and some on the side of mountain road.

I don't consider parking overnight in a Wal-Mart parking lot to be "boondocking"

The official definition of Boondocks is:

1 US, informal : a remote, thinly settled rural area

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/boondocks

Side of a mountain road definitely IS boondocking.

Bob

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Graveside Boondocking?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.