cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Glacier National Park Info

rfloyd99
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning to visit there in a 27' TT in mid August for a week. I am aware that Yellowstone is a zoo all Summer, but is Glacier really busy also?

Will it be hard to find a campsite or an RV park? We enjoy park/forest service CG's, with or without hookups for 3-4 days, then an RV park for the next 3-4 days with HU's.

Any info or suggestions will be greatly appreciated! I'm planning the trip now, and can try to make reservations in the next few days.

Thanks!
33 REPLIES 33

Truckinguy
Explorer
Explorer
Length for us isn't too much an issue as the height and width. Many some of those spots from Logan pass down the West side. I would not take my truck camper across that road. Asking for trouble. PIA at least. We leave it in the campground if we go over the road.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just took the easy way, the path of least resistance. And since this wasn't going to be a one time drive on the road, I used the KISS theory.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've been over that road maybe 6 to 8 times and I never saw anyone being checked for length. I thought that was mainly to keep truck plus TT combos from going up the road. If the supposed max length is 22 ft then most full sized pickups with crew cab would be at or over that.

Here is the official site: Glacier: GTSE info

And it says 21 ft but shows ClassA/C RVs and a towed TT but not a pickup truck and the length is 21 ft. I'm fairly sure my truck is more like 23 ft.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
It would be a pain to take this guard off for just that.

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Was on Going to Sun road last July, week after the 4th, followed a Dog dually going up and watched a couple coming back west!! Fun time!! Real entertaining when two met, esp for the one on the cliff side!! Saw one along the way with bashed mirror, and one with rear fender damage. Can't say that stuff happened that day, but!!!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
hornet28, they didn't measure, I self measured. It was over, not by much, but I sure didn't want to have to fool around when approaching the entrance. Easy enough to pull the pin and pull rack out and let at RV park.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Drove the road last June with our CC dually without a problem. bobsallyh who measured your rig to say you were too long? Mine is just over 22' and wasn't any problem nor was I told by anyone that I couldn't drive it. We drove the entire route west to east

Truckinguy
Explorer
Explorer
buc1980 wrote:
The going to the sun road is wide to go with a long bed DRW ?

Some tight spots but slow is the go. And pull in your mirrors there is a chance some one could wack them and on that road their useless. I hate those Dodge ones they stick way into the other lane and their not needed.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not a problem but can be close at places due to continuous construction. I had to take the front bike rack off on our 2003 Dodge Dually Quad Cab, 8 ft. bed to clear the length measurement. And also second Polebridge.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
buc1980 wrote:

Not a problem
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

Truckinguy
Explorer
Explorer
reubenray wrote:
I will be there the middle of June for only three nights and staying at the West Glacier KOA. What tours, hikes or drives are a must to do with only a few days?

I've been 4 times. depends on your hiking ability. But easy hiking out there. Many many of them. Garden wall from Logan Pass for a few miles out and back. Hidden lake overlook there to. Many Glacier has Iceberg lake 10mi RT and is plain awesome.

Figure out your ability with milage and ascent and to the the gov site which tells you what is what.

Coming from West Glacier over the Sun Road to St. Mary's is awesome and many views and things to see. Virginia Falls as well as St. Mary's falls a must and is easy and right off Going to the Sun road.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
One "Must See" (Well, must taste) is a visit to the Polebridge Mercantile outside the west side of the park. A bit of a drive, but the best sticky buns & cinnamon rolls ever!

reubenray
Explorer
Explorer
I will be there the middle of June for only three nights and staying at the West Glacier KOA. What tours, hikes or drives are a must to do with only a few days?
2017 Newmar Ventana LE4037
2016 Chevy Equinox