Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Glacier National Park Info
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Glacier National Park Info

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
rfloyd99

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/20 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great information, everyone. Please continue!

We are definitely going, planning to arrive there 8/14, for about a week. Will no doubt benefit from this information.

Any tips on places to not miss? Hikes, views, etc. Our limit on hikes is about two miles, unfortunately. Lived in Colorado for 30 years, so am familiar with mountain hiking, just getting old...

We will be traveling to Glacier from Yellowstone, and have a week to spend on the way. Anyone have favorite places to see/stay in western MT?

Thanks again!

bobcouch

Southeast Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/20 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quite a bit of info you don't need - but some you might...
HERE

Bob and Honey Couch
2008 Keystone Everest
2007 Dodge MegaCab w/ 5.9 Cummins
http://boggythicket.blogspot.com/

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/20 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

10-15 years ago GNP was easy to find a campsite, 3 years ago when I went we got there early before noon and the web site and sign out front said full we were able to get one site. For YSNP there are always the NFS CG's in west yellow stone to stay in like Bakers Hole CG and that is easier to find a site. If you stay off site go into the park in late afternoon and drive the wild life loop in the northern part of the park you have a greater chance of seeing animals late afternoon until dusk. We saw about 2 grizzlies and 4 black bears one was a cinnamon black bear at that time. Both parks have good fishing caught a huge cutthroat trout in Yellow stone lake and many smaller ones in GNP along with a 22 in lake trout in a stream also. No fishing licence is required in GNP.

Truckinguy

United States

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/20 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hikes not to miss. Yellowstone. Fairy Falls then past it to Imperial Gyser. Glacier Ice berg lake from Many Glacier. Garden Wall for about 4 miles then return. Also on days with no views. Leave from the Sunset Point and easy hike by St Mary Falls to Virginina falls. Many cascades along as well. Love that hike.

I'll be heading out to Glacier for the 4th time in Sept. Hopefully St. Mary's Campground will have only hard sided vechicle camping due to Bear problems like in the past year or year before. This makes it easy to first come site's.

Last year I was there right after labor day and with the Bear warnings it made it easy to get a site.

I have reservations in Many Glacier at Site #090 and wonder if it will take my shortbox F350 and Lance truck camper ok.

Anyone going to Many Glacier this season? would you check it out and let me know if it's a great site. I tried for a while to get the reservation and finally got it today.

* This post was edited 03/04/20 03:29pm by Truckinguy *

katleman

San Jose

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/20 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something to consider, if actual glaciers are of interest, you might want to consider time up in Banff, 4-5 hours to the north of Glacier NP. Not too much further given you are coming up from Florida.

Visted via RV

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/20 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

katleman wrote:

Something to consider, if actual glaciers are of interest, you might want to consider time up in Banff, 4-5 hours to the north of Glacier NP. Not too much further given you are coming up from Florida.

That's true, just north of Banff is Glacier Parkway where you can almost drive up to a glacier and you can walk on one and take a snowcat tour over the glacier. One of the big CG will be closed in 2020 tho so that will make it harder to find a spot to camp. Banff itself has Lake Louise a definite cannot miss sight.

[image]

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/20 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have only been to Glacier once on Labor Day. I found to be very crowded with no where to park. I went up the Going to the Sun highway and had leave without getting out of the truck.

This park has a short season and the visitors are compressed between late June and Labor Day. I will not be going back. I love Yellowstone and have been going for 60 years, but not in summer.

kmb1966

Lake Charles

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/20 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glacier is wonderful and we have never found it to be very crowded in late June. But bring BEAR SPRAY and be aware of the precautions regarding bear safety. On the hiking trails, we saw so many bears and had so many close encounters. No attacks, but can be scary at times. Many grizzlies in GNP.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/20 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kmb1966 wrote:

Glacier is wonderful and we have never found it to be very crowded in late June. But bring BEAR SPRAY and be aware of the precautions regarding bear safety. On the hiking trails, we saw so many bears and had so many close encounters. No attacks, but can be scary at times. Many grizzlies in GNP.

Yeah we did see a bear but it wasn't all that close on a hike once.

suprz

rhode island

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/20 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We enjoyed the KOA very much. And they had rental cars onsite

Proud father of a US Marine

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Glacier National Park Info
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.