cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need a Dometic rooftop AC unit

rfloyd99
Explorer
Explorer
I have to replace the rooftop part of my AC. I'll be doing the work myself, but am looking for ideas on where to buy the unit.

Is used/reconditioned an option?

This is a real financial burden, but I've got to have an AC before I take off this Summer. Any ideas or advice greatly appreciated!
9 REPLIES 9

rfloyd99
Explorer
Explorer
OP here with an update. With the help of responses here (in a different post in the tech section), I was able to reconnect the burned connection and the AC is now back in action!

No thanks to the two RV places who were involved, or to Dometic. Those three entities could have at least steered me in the right direction instead of telling me there was no alternative to a new $500-800 rooftop unit.

Cost me $2 in parts from Home Depot!! Plus a bunch of time, of course, but that's what being retired is all about.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I found a decent price at Amazon.com and they will ship it for free to your location.
It is also a job that is not too hard for you to do. The hardest part will be getting it up on the roof and there are several threads on the forums to help with that. All you do is put it in place on the gasket, tighten four long bolts as directed in the instructions, hook up the electric, replace the bottom unit inside, and you are done.

Your other post on this subject can be found here and has some good suggestions.
Good luck.:)
Barney

Edit: I see that PPL has an even better price with free shipping here.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Kennedycamper
Explorer
Explorer
In Houston I'd say PPL Motorhomes, but maybe check Lazy Days there in FLA.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Amazon was still cheaper than a local dealer.

Used equal no warranty. New you get three.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

parcany
Explorer
Explorer
Dark Sky From what I have been told you hit the nail on the head. Replacement only. Could be wrong.

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Is it true you can't recharge an RV A/C unit? I.e., the only option when they poop out is replacement.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Probably the best bet would be to find the closest RV salvage to you, and see if they have any. You donโ€™t want to pay shipping on something that size and weight.

Other than that, Craigslist?

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
RV A/Cs seem to all have a fairly short lifespan compared to home units. I do not think I would trust a "rebuilt" one. Kinda have to bite the bullet on them.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Didnโ€™t you ask this question at 1:04 p.m.?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad