cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Xchocks question

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
Do I need use one or two X-chocks? I have always used plastic wheel chocks to keep TT from moving when camped but like the between dual wheel X chocks.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD
32 REPLIES 32

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My BAL adjustable chocks (2) locks all four tires. Dropped the Cummins/NV5600 tranny in 1st gear and slide all four trailer tires....on a tug test bet.
I've seen others forget a plastic/wood chock usually on the passenger side of vehicle (MH...TT...truck...trailer). You can hear the engine spool up more than normal then watch the vehicles tires roll up and over the blocks.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
You can easily drive away with X Chocks in place. Not so easy with regular chocks. Don't ask how I know.
B.O.

Do they crush like the adjustable ones do?
Donโ€™t ask.

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
We use two Bal-X Chocks and a pair of rubber chocks.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use a pair of them but have the BAL version manufactured prior to the X-chocks, 13 years and still going strong. Our TT is 33' and they really take out most of the movement when walking around inside our rig, we also incorporate the regular plastic chocks when camping on uneven terrain.

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
I have used four plastic chock blocks, two on each side for years with out an issue.
Headed into camp a few years ago I noticed something alongside the road,,,An X chock in the bushes.

I use it on one side only cause I have no other choice, Works good can't complain.
Might break down and actually buy another.

Westcoasting
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
You can easily drive away with X Chocks in place. Not so easy with regular chocks. Don't ask how I know.
B.O.

I've tried to but the wheels are locked!

Westcoasting
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
B.O.

If you drive over the yellow plastic chocks, they get crushed.

I have a buddy who bought a trailer ( first timer) and he had those plastic chocks and plastic levellers... first trip out he was setting up and after i was set up i go to check on him, all the plastic chocks and some levellers were broken!!! Lmao! Rocks and 2x6 from me had to do.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
B.O.

If you drive over the yellow plastic chocks, they get crushed.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
whjco wrote:
We use two sets.

Same here. I didn't even know you could buy them single but I went online and I guess you can! Mine came as a pair. Use 2 for sure!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
plasticmaster wrote:

Here's my homemade x-chocks for my spread axle travel trailer. Without the chains and turnbuckle, the wheels still move and I get a seesaw effect of the chocks when I push the back of the camper. With the chains and turnbuckle, the wheels are held rock solid and don't move when I push on the back of the camper.

I use a similar homemade chock for times when I cannot use the wooden wedge blocks. But it looks time consuming with plastic chocks, the clamp chocks, and the turnbuckles.

I wonder if it would work and be easier if you took the wooden chocks apart and just used them on the ground in place of the plastic chocks. Since it's a wide axle maybe place one wooden chock between the tires on each side of the trailer so you only block one wheel per side. Place the chock between the tires and then pull forward or back up so the tire climbs up high on the wooden chock and then firmly hold the brakes. While you are holding the brakes, have a helper slide the second wooden block snugly on the other side of the tire. Once the helper is safely out of the way, shift the tow vehicle into neutral and let the trailer settle cradled between the chocks. I know when I do as such my trailer sits rock solid against any tire movement.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I use wood chocks made by a 4x6 cut into a curve to match the tire diameter. I used to use the cheap yellow plastic chocks but was never satisfied. While the plastic chocks are indeed light. They also do not handle you forgetting to remove them before pulling away. The wood chocks absolutely will not let you forget they are in place.

I have looked at the Harbor Freight rubber chocks but they are too narrow and I agree they smell awful. I think it was the smell more than the shape that made me reject them. I think I pictured the manufacturer using the wheel chock formula to dispose of toxic industrial waste. I know it's ridiculous, but I couldn't get over the smell.

You should always chock both the front and rear on both sides of the trailer.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My tandem axle 11400 lb 5th wheel RV trailers tires have 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" between them. I do my tug test with them between the tires. My adjustable chocks once tight will not allow the tires to roll even in 4 low. The tires just slide.

My adjustable chocks are just part of a system I use that stabilizes the trailers movement so the trailer has no motion which due to my medical condition is a requirement for me.

We camp on dry and wet ground.....asphalt....concrete....gravel surfaces. Some times we may have to use 6"-8"+ of wood ramps to level the unit side to side. Wood/rubber/plastic chocks won't work in these conditions as we found out the hard way. Finally adjustable chocks hit the market and eliminated constant chock adjustments.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
We use two sets.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer

Here's my homemade x-chocks for my spread axle travel trailer. Without the chains and turnbuckle, the wheels still move and I get a seesaw effect of the chocks when I push the back of the camper. With the chains and turnbuckle, the wheels are held rock solid and don't move when I push on the back of the camper.