cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rough Road Towing

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
:R Man has anyone towed that concrete stretch of I 24 west of the Hopkinsville/Ft Campbell turn off? There are some spots where the dirt is squishing up between the cracks in the crete. Guess I will build up the courage to look at the under cariage of the fiver. :S
11 REPLIES 11

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Got it:)

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
That's wonderful news:W, we'll be up thru there this summer. Have to remember to tie everything down good.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
:S thanks for the post shelby. I been dumb in public. It is 24 west of Nashville and the holes in the road are west of the Hopkinsville turn off. Maybe the bumps jarred my old brain some how. I am going back to my corner now. :R

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
uhh, pitch, thanks for a slap with the wet noodle. I needed that.

now where is I 40? Ya grab I 40 east off the Briley at Nashville and run it all the way to I 26 if you please.

I could have been lost, however i have run that route for more than two decades. I take the Hopkinsville/Ft Campbell turn off and gas up at the Flying J.

No bit**ing intended. I just thought it was amazing at how rough that concrete road was.
I give up trying to figure where this stretch of road is. The Hopkinsville/ Ft Campbell exit is off I24 about 40 miles north of I40. It does have a Flying J! I26 is over in NC/SC:h Guess we'll just have to say there's a rough patch somewhere on I40, I24 or I26.... I agree and add I65 to the list.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
uhh, pitch, thanks for a slap with the wet noodle. I needed that.

now where is I 40? Ya grab I 40 east off the Briley at Nashville and run it all the way to I 26 if you please.

I could have been lost, however i have run that route for more than two decades. I take the Hopkinsville/Ft Campbell turn off and gas up at the Flying J.

No bit**ing intended. I just thought it was amazing at how rough that concrete road was.

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocamprs wrote:
Dave H M wrote:
:R Man has anyone towed that concrete stretch of I 40 west of the Hopkinsville/Ft Campbell turn off? There are some spots where the dirt is squishing up between the cracks in the crete. Guess I will build up the courage to look at the under cariage of the fiver. :S

Aren't Hopkinsville and Ft Campbell off I-24?
Yeah, not sure where the OP was, maybe off the interstate on a back road? I agree with the sentiment, though. Infrastructure is surely neglected. Don't know if funding is being siphoned off like from Defense Dept or was never appropriated in the first place.:h We were on what should have been a nice divided hwy in Wisconsin that was so rough a cabinet door broke off. Found an alternate as quickly as we could.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
There isn't a couple of sections here in IL where it sets up the oscillation and it just has a consistent bounce like a bridge would have. This is due to the WD hitch and the way the concrete was poured. Some sections were so bad I would take alternate routes around them.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get out to CA if you want some rough road pavement.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
:R Man has anyone towed that concrete stretch of I 40 west of the Hopkinsville/Ft Campbell turn off? There are some spots where the dirt is squishing up between the cracks in the crete. Guess I will build up the courage to look at the under cariage of the fiver. :S

Aren't Hopkinsville and Ft Campbell off I-24?
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of scary stuff do you expect to see?
We recently hauled our trailer for 18,000 miles around the country.We hauled interstates, state roads,Forest Service,BIA, BLM,city streets and sometimes no road.
I have had more than one, "awww ****" moment when the trailer was bottomed out front or back, momentarily airborne, or tilted to the side enough for serious pucker.

Even though these thing are horribly built, other than having to clean up the interior we suffered no damage, its tougher than you think.

This is my opinion,if you just needed to segue to complain about I-40 condition, never mind.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Your road and fuel taxes are spent elsewhere. Not on highways.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad